Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1

[Bug] Foxit PDF reader doesnt like IRS forms?

Anyone else notice this? I just downloaded a form and tried to fill it in using Foxit Reader. I do this every year and have never had a problem. This year though I can't get the check boxes to work. I click them but they don't place a check mark in them. Weird.

Anyone else?
You can try it by going to IRS.gov and download probably any form and then try to put a check mark in any of the check boxes. Maybe other forms are effected as well.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
Don't have Foxit, I use PDF-XChange Viewer. Opened up a 1040 form and had no trouble entering data or checking boxes.
--
Sometimes My Mind Wanders.....Other Times It Leaves Completely!

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC
kudos:2
reply to Sentinel
I had to give up on Foxit and return to Adobe Reader 'cause I had so much trouble with two or three online forms that I needed to fill in regularly. The check boxes were also the main issue--it just got to be too much of a hassle!
--
If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel
I went and got the 1040 form and can't fill in a "check box" either.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
Thanks McSummation. At least I know its not just me. Odd how everything else works fine but you just can't check a box.

I wonder if they are aware of this bug?

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
You could try contacting them?

support@foxitsoftware.com

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
reply to Sentinel
said by Sentinel:

Anyone else notice this? I just downloaded a form and tried to fill it in using Foxit Reader. I do this every year and have never had a problem. This year though I can't get the check boxes to work. I click them but they don't place a check mark in them. Weird.

Anyone else?
You can try it by going to IRS.gov and download probably any form and then try to put a check mark in any of the check boxes. Maybe other forms are effected as well.
Ditto and bye bye foxit!! to important of a time
to screw around

rabgary
Premium
join:2006-06-02
Austin, TX
reply to CCat
said by CCat:

Don't have Foxit, I use PDF-XChange Viewer. Opened up a 1040 form and had no trouble entering data or checking boxes.
I second that.I think it is much better than Foxit.

brooklingii

join:2001-12-12
Monterey, CA

1 recommendation

reply to CCat
Thanks. I was having trouble w/ Foxit's rendering of certain pages, so I had returned to Adobe. I tried Pdf-Xchange on your recommendation, and it looks like a keeper. My early impression is that it does more than Foxit and Adobe and does them well.

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY
reply to Sentinel
Is this the site? »www.docu-track.com/

Foxit been giving me problems as well so looking to change :O

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
Wonderland
Thats the one. Tracker Software.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to CCat
I'm interested in PDF-XChange viewer but if you could answer a few questions first I'd appreciate it.

1. Is it freeware? (real freeware: no ads or nag screens)
2. How big is it? (huge bloated like Adobe)
3. Is it stand alone exe like Foxit, or does it install and leave behind droppings all over the place like Adobe making it hard to get rid of if you don't like it?

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
Wonderland
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
This can answer your questions.

»www.docu-track.com/home/prod_use···x_viewer

Theres also a portable version.
I had a deal a while back to upgrade to pro for about $10 so thats the version I have. But the free version does a pretty good job on its own.
The pro version lets you edit pdf's and some other things.

Edit: Duh...Include link.
--

rabgary
Premium
join:2006-06-02
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel
Click for full size
I use the portable version.Works great.
»www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to CCat
Thanks guys. I went to the website but it does not answer some of the questions. A lot of websites say they are freeware but they end up being adware or nagware. I figured you guys that have it installed could tell me if this is the case with this?

Secondly, I see that they have the portable version which interests me but that of course begs the question ... If the portable version if only 4mb then why would I want the full 17mb free version? Does the 17mb version have or do something the portable version can't?

Sentinel
Premium
Florida

1 edit
reply to Sentinel
Wow, hate to tell you guys this but ... I just downloaded and tried PDF-XChange Viewer and it does not work with IRS fill in forms either
As a matter of fact it is WORSE! It appears as though it works at first, but if you save and then reopen the fill the check boxes are gone. So if your desire is just to fill in and print then maybe it is OK, but if you want to save it it gives you a false sense of operation. After a save it loses the check boxes only. Weird.

I am beginning to think that possibly the forms are not written correctly.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX
I tried the current Foxit on last year's form 1040 and it won't fill in the blank there either.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
That's really weird because last year I did my taxes using Foxit. That means that last years Foxit worked on last years forms. I wonder if last years Foxit would work on this years forms?

Adobe is just not an option for me. There is just no way I will install 35 mb of crap that runs in the background and installs crap all over my HD just to view a PDF file. Adobe is just like a spider web of crap sprawling all over and infesting my PC. More than actually.

35 mb is just the compressed download. Unpacked it is even larger. Now before anyone starts talking about plenty of space on modern hard drives ... that is not the point. The point is ... why so big? What the heck is in there?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
I'm with you on this one...
My AR v8 now takes 80 MiB of HD after big manual clean up. Before it took around 112 MiB! AR v9 will take 210 MiB (read here). I will try to avoid it at any cost (similarly to Nero bloatware that gladly replaced with incomparably smaller and free CD/DVD burners). It's an absurd to have a file reader taking all that HD space and trashing registry as Adobe Reader is doing now. So, may be "PDF Viewer" portable will replace it, we'll see...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel
I did my 1040A with Foxit and everything was fine. It also saved my 1040A just fine, with all boxes checked.

However, I was using ver. 2.2.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel
said by Sentinel:

That's really weird because last year I did my taxes using Foxit. That means that last years Foxit worked on last years forms. I wonder if last years Foxit would work on this years forms?
v2.3 works just fine with this year's 1040 forum.

ltsnow
Premium
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA
reply to rabgary
said by rabgary:

I use the portable version.Works great.
»www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/
Thanks. The portable version is great and it fills forms that Foxit will not.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
Wonderland
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Sentinel
said by Sentinel:

Wow, hate to tell you guys this but ... I just downloaded and tried PDF-XChange Viewer and it does not work with IRS fill in forms either
As a matter of fact it is WORSE! It appears as though it works at first, but if you save and then reopen the fill the check boxes are gone. So if your desire is just to fill in and print then maybe it is OK, but if you want to save it it gives you a false sense of operation. After a save it loses the check boxes only. Weird.

I am beginning to think that possibly the forms are not written correctly.
I downloaded the 1040. Made some entries and saved it.
Reopened it and everything was there, so I dont think its the forms themselves.
However as I said before Im using the pro version. Maybe the free version wont let you do that.
--

ltsnow
Premium
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA
Works fine with the free version. Downloaded a couple of IRS forms and entered some data and it saved it fine.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
Thanks KickMe and McSummation. I will download the old version use that.

Itsnow,
You had better check that again. I used the free full version and the portable version on 2 different PCs and it filled in the forms fine and then I saved. When I opened the forms back up the line data was there but the check boxes were blank again. When I tried to check them again and save again it went bonkers and did not work. It is the check boxes that are the issue; not the lines such as name etc...

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
OK now this is really weird. I posted over in the Foxit Reader forums about the problem and I was told to download a fresh copy of Foxit and try again. AND IT WORKS NOW!

So does that mean that they fixed it but didn't update the version?

At any rate, it is working fine now. Thank you all, and thank you to Foxit for reacting so quickly.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Well, heck. That's great news

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX
reply to Sentinel
I just downloaded the installer file and installed it that way. It works for me now, too.

I had installed it before using the "update" function. The last one I had downloaded seemed to be 2.3. I wonder if the version from the "update" function is faulty?

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to Sentinel
3.0 1301 downloaded the day it was released: e4cefb01ca2a8575b89ccb88dd839703
3.0 1301 downloaded just now: 11db250b1b3668ff978f93a3b208fafd

So, a silent update..

Sentinel
Premium
Florida