kcttocs
Yes...?
Premium Member
join:2002-03-07
Missouri

kcttocs

Premium Member

Free mcafee for AT&T Customers

As an att customer we can download it for free, but I can't seem to find it in the member services or products and services. I think they make it hard to find on purpose. I found it months ago, but never wrote down the link. Now I want to put it on one of my other computers.

I am also an employee and during my last DSL training class that was one of the tid bits of info that I remember. Employees used to be able to get it a different way, but after the Att SBC merge it went away with it, and now as a custumer we can download somewhere from the member services or products and services but I just can't find it.

Anyone been to the products and services lately? seems like they just forgot to update it, and many links don't work and go no where.

Thanks Scott

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

Log into the U-verse account central. Go to Services tab. Internet Security tab.

kcttocs
Yes...?
Premium Member
join:2002-03-07
Missouri

1 edit

kcttocs

Premium Member

hmm...

»att.my.yahoo.com/
this is where I start when I want to mess with my att stuff, I am an old DSL customer that upgraded to u-vere a couple months back. I've got a link that takes straight to my tv recordings, but not to the uverse central.

What a pain in the rear to find u-verse central, I finally found a link after I went in to my account and billing. Thanks a bunch... I hardly ever log into my account or yahoo stuff anymore. Guess I shouldn't have been using the yahoo link that I am used to, I think that is what threw me, because most of the links are broken, and it still had links to download the old browser that has been discontinued.

Scott

mareastrum
join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum to kcttocs

to kcttocs
It's not worth it. McAfee is just as bad as Norton in terms of being a system resource hog.

You're better off with Avast or one of the other free products out there. They work just as good.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

When the agent is idle, only uses 400k, when you bring up the Security Center, it is at 20,000k, but other then that, stating that it is hog, Avast & AVG are more of a resource hog, then McAfee.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

It's the "McShield" process that uses lots of resources. I think you are checking the wrong component.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

Mcagent.exe is 992k, mcshell.exe is 20,288k when you have the Security Center pulled up. When closed, the McAfee Integrated Security Platform runs at 948k. This is with the version that you get from Comcast, which is the latest version.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Mcagent.exe is 992k, mcshell.exe is 20,288k when you have the Security Center pulled up.
You are not looking in the right place.

Currently I see (running as the logged in user):

mcshell.exe 31,496K
mcagent.exe 1,540K
mcsysmon.exe 3,596K

And yes, "mcshell.exe" shuts down when the security center is not open.

I also see, running as SYSTEM:

Mcshield.exe 108,032K

and a couple of others. Those run even when no user is logged in. A process using 108M of memory sure looks like bloatware to me. If you don't have at least 500M of installed memory, then running McAfee is a bad idea.

In my experience, the "Mcshield.exe" process starts at about 27M, and jumps to using 100M after doing updates. People tight on memory might want to try turning off automatic updates, and rebooting after performing manual updates.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

The others only show up when you bring the Shell up to look at it. Otherwise, the resident monitor barely uses any resources compared to the others.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

The others only show up when you bring the Shell up to look at it.
Sorry, but that's wrong. The "Mcshield.exe" process runs all the time. And it is the big resource gobbler.

I'm guessing that you are running Vista. The task manager in Vista does not normally show "Mcshield.exe", because its default is to only show the processes started by the logged in user. You have to tell it to show all processes in order to see the system processes.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

What I stated has nothing to do with what version a person is running. As stated before, MCShield.exe only runs when you run the Security center. Only process that runs in the background is the MCAgent.exe.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Sorry to say it, but you are mistaken. Mcshield is started on bootup, and runs regardless of whether you have opened the security center. If it isn't running on your system, then you have no AV protection.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

1 edit

Greg_Z

Premium Member

said by nwrickert:

Sorry to say it, but you are mistaken. Mcshield is started on bootup, and runs regardless of whether you have opened the security center. If it isn't running on your system, then you have no AV protection.
Pretty much, you are going to argue, until everyone states that you are correct, and no one else is right, now aren't you?

Just take it as the info given, that on my machine running Vista, is what I see for McAfee, and what you see, and state is what you believe. Pretty much, this is an argument, that you believe that you are going to win.

Hope this satisfies what I have stated three times so far.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Pretty much, you are going to argue, until everyone states that you are correct, and no one else is right, now aren't you?
No. I have given up on you.

For any others interested, here is some background reading (found using a google search for "mcshield.exe":

»www.neuber.com/taskmanag ··· exe.html
»forums.techguy.org/all-o ··· ory.html
»www.auditmypc.com/proces ··· ield.asp

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

1 edit

Greg_Z

Premium Member

What you have posted is FUD. I posted exactly from Process Explorer ALL processes running on this machine, a snapshot of just those in question. And yes MCshield.exe does use less then others, but McAfee is not a resource hog as you and others believe. Used to be that McAfee & Norton took all of the resources, but their packages have gone on a diet, and are actually a lot more trim then AVG, Avast, and other all-in-one packages.

Also, two of the links are for those that think that they are infected, and want to know what the file is, that they think is causing their headaches.

arealdsltech
Premium Member
join:2007-02-27
Oklahoma City, OK

arealdsltech to kcttocs

Premium Member

to kcttocs
I used »att.software.yahoo.com and logged in with my primary at&t account.
Dyaus
join:2003-10-11
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

Dyaus to Greg_Z

to Greg_Z
this is getting pretty off topic, but mcafee on my work machine has the following processes:

FrameworkService.exe - 11,104k
Mcshield.exe - 117,184k
Mctray.exe - 2,416k
naPrdMgr.exe - 2,348k
shstat.exe - 660k
UpdaterUI.exe - 3,112k
VsTskMgr.exe - 484k

This is with all mcafee stuff minimized to the tray. I used Process Explorer to list the processes and their memory usage.