how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrMac123

join:2009-02-07
Long Branch, NJ

No accessibility option on QIP2500

There are no options in either of my two QIP2500 settings menu to turn on closed captions.

Phone & online tech support has no idea why! Anyone here have a clue or know of a hidden menu option that will allow me to turn it on?

-Thanks,

MM

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

1 edit

Try this (I don't have a 2500 to know if the options are there, but....)

With both tv and the 2500 on. Hit Power - Select - Menu (in sequence, not all at once) on the remote. You will now be in a hidden options menu that MIGHT have Closed Captioning options.

MrMac123

Long Branch, NJ

Thanks for the quick reply! There is no select button on the remote. Doing a "power-select-menu" on the STB front panel buttons does nothing, but "power-select-select" does bring up a diagnostic screen which doesn't seem to have any way of changing settings.

-Thanks,

MM

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

Select on the remote is the OK button.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to MrMac123

Ok, perhaps the 2500 is different then.

Try just Power - Menu on the remote, I know the HD boxes require OK/Select in the middle of that.

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to MrMac123

Don't know which remote you have, but on mine the *, below 7, and the input button bring up CC on screen, and second push turns it from off to on.

MrMac123

Long Branch, NJ
reply to JohnA

Okay doke, then "power-OK-menu" from the remote does nothing on the QIP2500.

No software version in the diagnostic screen but the firmware says:

20.41 boot 16.09
Mar 18, 2008
16:33:15
TSODA t16
CMLOK 000

Thanks,
-MM

MrMac123

Long Branch, NJ

The CC button works fine on the QIP6416 (medaia room DVR) but not on either of the QIP2500's

-MM

MrMac123

Long Branch, NJ

The secret appears to be somewhere in the 2500's software/firmware because the QIP6416 has an "accessibility option" that turns CC on or off.

It's available from "menu/settings/accessibility.

But it's missing from both QIP2500's

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
reply to MrMac123

I'm fairly sure the 2500s do not have on-board closed caption display capability. I've had one for about a year and do not remember ever seeing it under IMG 1.5 either. They pass the CC code through to the TV but do not display.

Also, I do not think the 2500s have the hidden setup menu that the 6416s (and I believe the 6200s) have - only the diagnostic - someone posted that here, a while back. I've never been able to get to it on mine.

When you think about it, all the stuff in the hidden setup menu, on the HD boxes, has to do with the HD video signal output configuration over either component or HDMI cables (audio options on the HDMI as well). The 2500 has neither.

The 2500s do have coaxial or optical audio out and, according to the FiOS user's guide, they are active and send Dolby Digital 5.1
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

anon101

@verizon.net
reply to MrMac123

The Motorola DCT-2500 is the same box but without the IP guide and ip/tv functions. The QIP in QIP-2500, I believe stands for QAM/IP and DTC stands for Digital Cable Television. Anyway both boxes show no support for CC. I would complain to Verizon and perhaps you can use the HD box on the standard television. They may give them to you for the same price faced with the issue with the 2500s.

Light Guy

join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ
reply to MrMac123

Since you are in NJ you may actually be able to get an HD box for the same price as a Standard. Although you don`t need it, just use the CC button on your TV`s remote. As rattler stated: "They pass the CC code through to the TV but do not display"

I don`t have a 2500 but I have seen CC work using the TV`s remote.

br1an

join:2003-09-21
Syracuse, NY
reply to MrMac123

This is correct, the 2500 stbs do not have a user settings menu nor do they have an option for cc. You can try using the vz remote to do cc by hitting TV then * (w/ cc below it, left of 0). If this doesn't work you can enable/disable it with your tv remote.

MrMac123

Long Branch, NJ

Thank you all very much!

With your help I have deduced that the two SD TV's that are hooked up to my 2500's are NOT CC capable and therefore the accessibility option doesn't show up in the settings menu as it does with the 6416.

As soon as I can i'll connect one of the 2500's to my HDTV (where the 6416 is connected now) and try to prove the theory.

-Best Regards,

MM

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

said by MrMac123:

With your help I have deduced that the two SD TV's that are hooked up to my 2500's are NOT CC capable and therefore the accessibility option doesn't show up in the settings menu as it does with the 6416.

As soon as I can i'll connect one of the 2500's to my HDTV (where the 6416 is connected now) and try to prove the theory.

-Best Regards,

MM
Just to be clear, the 6416 HAS the ability to superimpose readable CC text on the viewable video signal it sends to ANY TV, CC capable or not. It also passes on the CC encoding so that a TV that does have CC decoding can display it as well.

The 2500 does NOT have the above superimposition capability - it only passes on the CC encoding for display by a TV that has the decoder. There would be no menu item in the 2500's IMG menu display whether it were connected to a CC capable TV or not.

My 2500 is connected to an SD TV that has CC decoding capability and there is no CC item in the 2500's IMG menu, nor is there a hidden setup menu available either.

If I've misinterpreted what you meant in the quote above, ignore this post.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

MrMac123

Long Branch, NJ

No... what you say makes perfect sense and I see that there is no use wasting my time trying it out.

Would have been nice if the Verizon telephone and online techs new this instead of resetting the STB's over and over again and losing all my favs and making me reenter it all again.

-Thanks again,

MM