Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

drugrep
--

join:2000-08-10
Woodridge, IL

2 edits

[Wireless] WMP110 PCI card - Is this a true N card?

I have a WRT310N router and a WMP110 PCI card in 1 desktop in my house.

Why does this computer only connect at 54 mbps? The linksys website says this is a N card, but there is something fishy about this.

»www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WMP110

What's interesting, if you use their filters and Select N and Desktop, it doesn't even list their WMP300N.

»www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/pro···Adapters

Here's the true N card that as of the time of this post, doesn't get listed in filters.

»www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/pro···/WMP300N

Any insight appreciated.

Edit, I just spoke to a guy at Best Buy and he said the card is capable of N range, but it's not a N speed card. Using the filters on the Linksys website it shows it as the only N card.

I emailed Linksys and asked them to send me a WMP300N in exchange for my card and the $10 price difference.

--
If the firmware wasn't broke, there wouldn't be an update for it!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
It does get confusing, and yes the WMP110 is listed as a "N" adapter, but the WMP300N is probably the better choice.

Do be sure, however, that in your router's wireless settings, you are set up to receive "N" in the network mode.
--
Deeds, not words

drugrep
--

join:2000-08-10
Woodridge, IL

4 edits

Linksys WMP110 is not a true N card.

Yes, I do have my router set to use N.

They fixed their website filter today after I emailed sales yesterday and they did add the WMP300N.

I was surprised they left the WMP110 showing as a N card. If you look at the Data Sheet for it under standards, it doesn't show Draft-N. If you look at the Data Sheet for the WMP300N, it does show Draft-N.

I guess the WMP110 is capable of N range, but not N speed.

I asked them to trade my WMP110 for a WMP300N for the $10 price difference since they until today, only listed the WMP110 as an N card, and again, their data sheet clearly shows it is not.

I just hope they do the right thing and send me a replacement since it was their mistake that caused me to buy a WMP110.

I'm sure they will, and I'll let you know.
--
If the firmware wasn't broke, there wouldn't be an update for it!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Good, and I do hope that Linksys makes it right!
--
Deeds, not words