spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Anonuser
join:2003-01-03
Milwaukee, WI

2 recommendations

Anonuser

Tech Review: The Long Waited FRAM OIL FILTER REVIEW!

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Last summer, as some of you may remember, I was all hot about chopping my oil filters. Well, summer got busy, my lil boy popped out ^_^ which took all my free time :P , I took my pictures and still did the chops, but I have a bunch that I have not posted here yet.

Sooo, The long awaited review, FRAM OIL FILTER!

It's been a while since I chopped this one, so I cannot go into as much detail as I could have when I did the chop (last June for this one).

Start off by saying, I was already not too happy about this filter before I even got it off.
Removing the filter, which was hand tightened on, required multuple wrenches, and instead of the filter coming off, it un-screwed part of the oil system on the car.
Car for this filter review is a 1991 Honda Accord.

Still can't explain why it caused so many problems, I will let the pictures show for that, however, I confirmed, filter was correct number!
Only reason, and I repeat, ONLY reason I used this FRAM Filter, was because my grandfather had stocked up one year when they were cheap (Around $1 each) so I figured, I'd just use it for 2k miles just to get rid of the last one.

Ok, so back to the review. I'm not going to talk any more about the problem getting it off, you can just look at the pictures for that. In the end, to get that tube out of the filter, I had to put the filter in a vice, and use a 3/4 socket with a breaker bar to get it out.

Now, cut off the top of the filter.
Cheap stamped cap, still has many sharp burs on the threads, poorly constructed, relitively thin metal. The Super Tech Wal-Mart (which so far has been one of my Favorites) has approx double the thickness of this one.

Inside, you see the rubber gasget, with the innards their. Rubber gasget was HARD AS A ROCK! Even had trouble sliceing it with a razor blade. I've had filters on the shelf for 5-10 years and are still soft, this one was on shelf for 1 year, and hard as a rock.

Inside, rather thing inner-wall of the filter. Not very many holes as you can see, to let the oil through, and their not very big as well. Not impressed.

End cap, is.... You guessed it, CARDBOARD! Not just that, but IT CRUMBLED AS I PULLED THE FILTER OUT OF THE CAN! The Glue was stronger then the filter! This should be METAL! METAL METAL METAL! Not flimsy cardboard!
Now, the filter medium. It sucks....
That as well crumbled just by holding the filter. At this point, I was suriously scared that a chunk of cardboard was stuck somewhere in my engine!

I streched out the filter metiup, to measure its surface area. at this time, I cannot remember the surface area of the medium, however, I to remember it was much much less then the Supertech, and Valvoline filters I've done (less by around 1/3 less area). On top of that, it was very difficult meaturing, as the filter kept breaking apart and crumbeling as we were streching it apart.
The Supertech and Valvoline filters, we yanked on rather hard, no brakeage at all.

The bypass valve, I rate as "Fair", It took a rather firm pressing on with both thumbs to get it to open just a little bit.

And lastly, the can. Horrid once again. The gan, I could easially dent with a thumb and index finger. Very very filmsy once insides removed.
With the other filters I've chopped, the can was very rigid, held it shape well, and just, overall sturdy, what you'd expect to be able to handle the preassure of the oil.

Overall, I'd rate FRAM As the Poorest filter I've ever seen. Funny thing is, I've auctually seen some "illegal knock-offs" since I tested this filter, on some Chinese vehicles I've imported, and their built stronger then the REAL FRAM!

Yes, I confirmed this one was a real, not knock off fram.

Save your money, get a super-tech that is built much higher quality for $1-$5 less then a fram.

Sorry for not spell-checking, my head hurts like someone smacked me with a bat (because my lil boy hit me with a mini-baseball bat), so I dont feel like spell check. Maybe later.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Yes, I recall the original thread:

»[Tech] SCREW FRAM! Arggg...... More to come tomorrow!

biased review
@redwing.net

1 recommendation

biased review to Anonuser

Anon

to Anonuser
I myself prefer fleetguard and bosch filters. But I can see that your post is a little biased. The filter most likely was not the problem when the oil filter tube came off of your car. It could be that it wasn't tight enough or that the filter was put on too tight. The stamped threaded cap isn't as cheap as you specified, especially being it was strong enough to stay stuck to your car's oil tube. The thickness of the can itself doesn't really matter unless you're worried about it getting punchured from something on the road which is very unlikely. The cardboard ends don't do the filtering of the oil,all they are designed to do is to hold the pleats in a fixed spot, and it's not the same material used for the actual pleated filter. The funny thing is that you claimed that the filter medium fell apart when you stretched it out but you never showed the pictures of that. The filter medium is pretty much the same as the supertech. The rubber seal didn't look "hard as a rock in the picture, but it must be that you put too much emotion into your biased review. Maybe you should go and buy different filters and take them apart when they are new and compare them and see what the differences are. And you should set your biased emotions aside and conduct a real comparison.
biased review

Anon

to Anonuser
Also, I forgot to mention. How did you get a 3/4" socket on the threads of the oil tube. Doesn't make much sense.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Anonuser

MVM

to Anonuser
I have used Fram in the past - many times and so hasd my father and not once was there any issue with getting the oil filter off the car or at least no more problem than any other oil filter I have ever used.

Anonuser
Milwaukee, WI

Anonuser to biased review

to biased review
No, filter was not put on way to tight, and the filter tube was tight on the car. The amount of preasure I had to use to get the filter off, is what removed the filter tube.
Threads could have been improperly machined, as to being why it held so tight, however, I stand by my previous observation.
Thickness of the can was just a observation, showing a "cut corner"

Cardboard end caps dont do the filtering, correct, however, they are what is holding it all together. Cardboard end cap breaks apart, well, the pleats arnt going to stay in their fixed spot.

Im sorry that I dont have all the pictures that I took a year ago.... Call up the Doctor, and I will go back in time and rescue my pictures of the shitty media. I posted every picture I had.

Yep, the rubber seal didnt look hard. Your amazing that you can tell how much preasure I was applying to bend the seal just by looking at a picture...

Yep, I did put a lot of emotion into my review. I was rather pissed off that the filter wouldnt come off the dam car! Do you have any ideas why a hand tightened filter would be so tight? Yes, seal was oiled, and no, it was not cross threaded...

As Ive posted in past reviews, if you want specific filters chopped and reviewed, feel free to mail it to me. Im not conducting scientific reasearch. Im just doing basic reviews based on my observations. I dont have money to blow cutting new filters open. This is just a "added bonus" that I do when changing my oil.

Sorry, I said socket, meant wrench.

Cylon, only takes 1 time. Could have been a fluke, could have been a bad batch? I don;t know. I didnt say they all were going to get stuck on, but, this one sure did.

Cheers

biased review
@redwing.net

Anon

to Anonuser
I actually had the chance to change a fram filter today, so I decided to get out my sawzall and cut it open. I took a few pictures of it and provided the link for you to view them. The "cardboard" on the ends were rather strong and the only reason they messed up was because the sawzall blade hit it on one of the cardboard pieces. The oil change was after 3000 miles on a 2005 Grand Prix with 67000 miles. As you can see I went out and actually bought one today just so you could see the threads right out of the box, look how clean and neat they are. Even though these are Fram Tough Guard filters, the filter medium is the exact same as the regular ones, the only difference is the silicon seal. I will also include a link showing that certian models of the Supertech filters use the same set up as the fram but they actually use a plastic center tube which would be worse yet. Here are the links...
»home.mindspring.com/~cew ··· d11.html
»s603.photobucket.com/alb ··· 0Filter/

Anonuser
Milwaukee, WI

Anonuser

Thanks for your added input! I have not come across a SupterTech with a plastic tube, but next visit to wally world, I am going to dig through whats on the shelf to see if I can find one and which vehicle it will go in (I'm a curious person!)>

Cheers!