bshelly
Premium Member
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC

bshelly to JAXx

Premium Member

to JAXx

Re: AT&T Callvantage will disconnect in Feb

Wow, I have my old POTS line being transferred from AT&T (Illinois Bell) to CV this Thursday as my second line.

Can I cancel the switchover and keep my POTS for now or is it too late? AT&T Told me that POTS disconnection is scheduled for 2/12.
Fisamo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC

Fisamo

Premium Member

You can always call customer service and ask. They'd be the best source of that kind of information.

JAXx
aka Stephen
Premium Member
join:2000-03-31
New York, NY

JAXx to bshelly

Premium Member

to bshelly
Why would they let you convert when CV isn't taking new customers?
bshelly
Premium Member
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC

bshelly

Premium Member

I've had CV for about a year and a half and am just now adding my old POTS line as my second CV line. They are still allowing the addition of a 2nd line, but now that I read this, I don't understand why.

I just signed up for Voipo (»www.voipo.com) and it looks like it is going to be the best alternative to AT&T CallVantage.

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

said by bshelly:

I've had CV for about a year and a half and am just now adding my old POTS line as my second CV line. They are still allowing the addition of a 2nd line, but now that I read this, I don't understand why.

I just signed up for Voipo (»www.voipo.com) and it looks like it is going to be the best alternative to AT&T CallVantage.
Remember Lilly Tomlin's Parody of the Phone company as Ernestine the Operator?

The Phone company tag line was:

"We Don't Care, We Don't Have To, We're The Phone Company"
Even though this is the new at&t, some things just never change.

pleekmo
Triptoe Through The Tulips
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14
Manchester, CT

pleekmo

Premium Member

said by bshelly:

"We Don't Care, We Don't Have To, We're The Phone Company"
Even though this is the new at&t, some things just never change.
"Meet the new Bell.
Same as the old Bell."

JAXx
aka Stephen
Premium Member
New York, NY

JAXx

Premium Member

Ask not for whom the bells tolls, it tolls for thee. =

And to nrf, where i live we basically never have power outages (NYC) although when we have them they are doozies, but we often have little internet outages that dont affect TV reception.....
TomMac
Premium Member
join:2008-03-23
Dayton, OH

TomMac to JAXx

Premium Member

to JAXx
OH POO! Just when I was starting to like it and all the great features. I guess I will hold on until the bitter end.
HardCoder
join:2006-07-22
Raleigh, NC

HardCoder to JAXx

to JAXx
Well, I'm now going cell only. I really enjoyed having CV, it offered much better voice quality than Vonage, Viatalk, Sunrocket, and even Voipo. And it was always up. With VZW, we are getting Friends & Family for free calling to 10 out of network numbers. This will be plenty for us, and we won't need an AYCE VOIP provider anymore.

Sad to see it go. It will be interesting to see the replacement.

NY Tel
Premium Member
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

said by HardCoder:

Well, I'm now going cell only. I really enjoyed having CV, it offered much better voice quality than Vonage, Viatalk, Sunrocket, and even Voipo. And it was always up. With VZW, we are getting Friends & Family for free calling to 10 out of network numbers. This will be plenty for us, and we won't need an AYCE VOIP provider anymore.

Sad to see it go. It will be interesting to see the replacement.
I think what you are doing is what a lot of people will start to do. Go Cell only, a lot of my friends have already started the process.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Fisamo

Premium Member

to Fisamo
said by Fisamo:

According to the CSR who took my call, no 'impending disconnect' letters have yet been sent out by AT&T. They plan to send the letters out in waves over the next several months (may take more than a year). The letters will contain details regarding the timing of the subject account's latest termination date. [I'd expect them to also include (when applicable) some kind of carrot to convert to U-Verse Voice or AT&T POTS.] She also indicated that it was her understanding that users would have 60 days from the mailing date of their letter to move their service to another provider.
I hope that they at least wait until AT&T Wireless officially releases their femtocell service, because I doubt that I will live long enough to see U-Verse at my location. If AT&T actually offers a reasonably priced femtocell service with un-metered usage, that would be the ideal replacement for CallVantage for me.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

In any event, they are doing a classy job compared to the "drop dead turkey" method from Verizon VoiceWing.
darbacour
join:2005-04-13
Los Angeles, CA

darbacour to JAXx

to JAXx
said by JAXx:

I don't really like my choices but I'm going with a bundled package with time warner (already provide net and TV). The only good thing is that phone service wont be disrupted when their crappy internet dies, lol, as it is unaffected oddly by internet service (even though its going through the net, makes no sense)
TW HSI beyond sux, but the phone service is superior to CallVantage- Just recently ported and cancelled everything due to WOrthLESS RoadRunner. Trying to get back to TW... after Vonage took my number & almost $70 to NOT port it.

I really liked the TW phone service ... AFTER I dumped worthless RoadRunner

Annmarie

join:2000-11-11

Annmarie to JAXx

to JAXx
Has anyone received an official disconnect letter from CV yet?

I haven't and am wondering if anyone who got/gets one can post here so we know the deal.

JAXx
aka Stephen
Premium Member
New York, NY

JAXx to darbacour

Premium Member

to darbacour
OK so i got TW phone hooked up yesterday and:
- pissed to find out that voice mail is $3.95 EXTRA per month and no one told me that when i signed up. I'll be writing yet another letter to the VP of customer relations.

- the porting was a breeze and the phone quality itself is very good.

In a day or so caller ID info will display on televisions, a cute little bonus if it works.

I cannot get the net to flow through any of my routers and of course TW won't help with that so all my computers are currently going through a bridge which works except that my vista machine once again (this happened once before) doesn't seem to want to be able to be on the network at the same time as one of the macs.
Fisamo
Premium Member
Apex, NC

Fisamo to Annmarie

Premium Member

to Annmarie
said by Annmarie:

I haven't and am wondering if anyone who got/gets one can post here so we know the deal.
I was wondering the same thing. At this point, I'm holding out until I hear that my line will be affected. If the rep I had spoken with is correct about the 60-day timeframe from notification to disconnection, I will have plenty of time for number porting, etc., after receiving the notice.

sonarman
Sonarman
join:2000-11-18
Liverpool, NY

sonarman to Annmarie

to Annmarie
said by Annmarie:

I called and I was told it is rolling out by area. It will continue until the early summer
Mediocrates
join:2008-05-27
Raleigh, NC

Mediocrates to JAXx

to JAXx
Does this include high volume corporate customers?

jduffy
Premium Member
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH

jduffy

Premium Member

So what about people who don't live in Uverse or AT&T served areas? I guess we're just screwed. I went with AT&T because the service is great and I thought they were reliable...as in not going to close up shop. They fooled me. If this happens, never again will I be an AT&T customer. No cell...nothing. This is a terrible way to treat loyal customers...just cut 'em off. Could help Vonage though.
TomMac
Premium Member
Dayton, OH

TomMac

Premium Member

It appears that CallVantage VOIP is a dying product or it was not profitable enough to continue. Only the new owners of AT&T can tell you that. Business is business.

There are other good VOIP providers waiting and willing to take your money. Some are probably just as good as or better than the old AT&T.
nrf
join:2003-02-20
Morrow, OH

nrf

anyone have pointers to the definitive comparison site for choosing a new provider?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by nrf:

anyone have pointers to the definitive comparison site for choosing a new provider?
»/gbu

NY Tel
Premium Member
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel to nrf

Premium Member

to nrf
said by nrf:

Did you take a look at VoicePulse? Voipo?
Fisamo
Premium Member
Apex, NC

1 edit

Fisamo

Premium Member

said by NY Tel:

said by nrf:

Did you take a look at VoicePulse? Voipo?
You might consider adding QuantumVoice to the list. I say that not from experience, but a combination of little press (as in, no news is good news) and that the little press I've seen has been good.

Edit to add: It seems to be pretty much a foregone conclusion that this will happen. I do wonder what ATT is telling their corporate customers. One would think they'd have a comparable VoIP product to switch those accounts to rather than lose them.

As for leaving AT&T forever: It's certainly your prerogative. Just keep in mind that the AT&T you first got service from isn't the same at&t that's running the show now. Also, there is plenty of notice of the 'impending doom' (all customers will get at least 60 days, apparently). All of these factors don't make me like the fact that at&t is killing off CV--it's been a great product. But I also won't let this experience cause me to never consider their products in the future. (How much of a factor it is will depend on circumstances...)
TomMac
Premium Member
Dayton, OH

TomMac

Premium Member

jduffy is in a somewhat precarious situation. If he lives in the Cincinnati area he is served by Cincinnati Bell.

I would venture to guess that we will get 30 days notice and not 60 days.

PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

1 edit

PX Eliezer704 to Fisamo

Premium Member

to Fisamo
said by Fisamo:

You might consider adding QuantumVoice to the list. I say that not from experience, but a combination of little press (as in, no news is good news) and that the little press I've seen has been good.
Reviews of QV are here:
»User reviews - QuantumVoice

As well, IMHO, folks can't go far wrong choosing one of the top Voip providers on the GBU list:
»/gbu

Also, if folks don't already, they should sometimes read the main Voip forum in addition to the AT&T/CV forum:
»VOIP Tech Chat
nrf
join:2003-02-20
Morrow, OH
·Future Nine Corp..

nrf

thanks for all the suggestions. I had used some of the review sections but the gbu (which I was not aware of) seems to be a great place to start.

also, forums for a product can be very telling. I have at times purchased hardware that I could have avoided had I read the current forums at the manufacturer site

nrf

jduffy
Premium Member
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH

jduffy to TomMac

Premium Member

to TomMac
Yup, Cincinnati Bell a company with so much debt from the Broadwing debacle that it cannot afford to do anything innovative like offering VOIP to compete with Road Runner locally. No money to upgrade their network to offer video to compete against cable. Cincinnati Bell, a company stuck in the 1980s.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

True.

Very unfortunate, they used to be very innovative.

Cincinnati Bell and also SNET (Connecticut) were two Bell companies that were NOT fully owned by the old ATT/BellSystem. So they were free to try other things.

Now CinBell is poor, and SNET was sucked up by SBC and now the resurrected ATT.

Sad.
TomMac
Premium Member
Dayton, OH

TomMac to nrf

Premium Member

to nrf
said by nrf:

thanks for all the suggestions. I had used some of the review sections but the gbu (which I was not aware of) seems to be a great place to start.

also, forums for a product can be very telling. I have at times purchased hardware that I could have avoided had I read the current forums at the manufacturer site

nrf
A friend of mine has CallVantage and has been doing some research looking for a new VOIP provider. Both of us feel that some of the VOIP review websites do not appear to be objective. They review the same small newer providers. In fact some of the reviews appear to be written by the same author. Looks a little fishy.