join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

NNTP News

Anyone know what FairPoint's plan is for Usenet? I'm still able to access NNTP servers using Verizon server (news.verizon.net) but I assume that goes away at end of transition period.

I've seen no specific communication about this from FairPoint. There is some info on FairPoint's site but not sure if it applies to ex-Verizon customer's.
»266fpmo.fairpoint.com/technical_···/faq.php

I tried to log into news.fairpoint.net under my vze and alias user name but neither works.

/tom

jadziedzic
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Nashua, NH

1 recommendation

Two of the e-mail chat support techs said that FairPoint doesn't "support" Usenet groups - even though (for example) the FAST Service Plans on FP's Web site lists "newsgroup support". One of the techs suggested I call someone in the billing department, which I did, but they were no help either. The other tech suggested Google - yeah, right.

I have to call the billing folks tomorrow for an unrelated issue, and I'll try again to get an answer.

(I've also sent an e-mail to David Brooks at the Telegraph, who runs the FairPoint Watch, asking if he can try to get an answer from his contacts at FP.)

Tony

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Thanks - I sent David an email since he seems to be well connected to FairPoint.

Perhaps transition team overlooked Usenet.

/tom

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
kudos:3

1 recommendation

I called FairPoint again today, Tom, as I still don't have all of my phones properly migrated.

Since I had a live person (and *that* was a shocker), I did ask about the Usenet groups. Gal had no idea what I was talking about, so I asked her to locate someone who would.

Three people later, the last gentleman I spoke to said that it wasn't "on his list", so he didn't know who to ask.

It will be interesting to see if David Brooks can get an answer- it certainly doesn't appear to be at the center of any person's immediate universe at FairPoint.

~Arel
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

jadziedzic
Premium
Nashua, NH
I spent most of the morning on hold (contrary to Jill Wurm's claims that "the call volume is easing"), first with tech support, and then with billing. Tech support says they have no information about news servers (nor does their supervisor), so they're assuming we won't get any.

I pointed out to someone in billing that the FAST service description on FairPoint's Web site (»www.fairpoint.com/northern_ne/re···faq.html) "includes access to newsgroups", and that if FP was going to not provide that service they should update their Web site, and how about crediting me for the amount it will cost for me to use a third-party news server. I then spoke with a supervisor who promised to get me a definite answer within 24 hours.

I'm surprised no one has heard from David Brooks on this subject; there's nothing in today's "press release" from FairPoint in the Nashua Telegraph on this subject.

mouseferatu
Premium,MVM
Im not sure
I certainly haven't seen any difference in the call volume... I am still trying to get my last phone line migrated and am frustrated by the whole process, especially the "hold" mess.

I am prolly better off just forgetting about it until FairPoint can figure out what they are doing- I simply don't have the time to waste any more effort sitting on hold for long periods of time to try to eventually explain the situation from scratch to another person who doesn't seem to care.

All in all, IMO the customer service is woefully inadequate...

And, no one I have spoken to yet has any info on the Usenet groups. For that matter, no one seems to what I am talking about... not a good omen, IMO.
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

Dave Brooks

@telegraphnh.com
reply to tschmidt
Darn - I forgot to ask about Usenet when I talked to FP yesterday! I'll have to see what I can find out.

("press release"?!?! ouch ...)

Dave Brooks
Nashua Telegraph

jadziedzic
Premium
Nashua, NH
reply to mouseferatu
Please contact the PUC and file a complaint about the amount of time it is taking to get your TELEPHONE service issues resolved. While the Internet side of FairPoint is "not regulated", the telephone side *is*, and the PUC has very specific requirements about the response time of the billing department. You can file a complaint online at »www.puc.nh.gov/ConsumerAffairsFo···frm.aspx

Tony

mouseferatu
Premium,MVM
Im not sure
Thanks!

This is an ongoing issue that the PUC is already aware of.

I have multiple lines, so do not warrant (or need) the priority intervention that a lot of folks do, and I presume that they will ultimately figure out where FairPoint has "lost" the phone number...
--

Dave Brooks

@comcast.net
reply to tschmidt
I played phone tag with Jill Wurm of FP today, asking about Usenet. She left me a message saying they are aware of the Usenet situation and are working on it - apparently there's somebody in Vermont who is particularly knowledgeable about it.

Also, a bit of news you'll see in tomorrow's Telegraph: The PUC is recommending that FairPoint give unspecific compensation to those inconvenienced by the problems with email et. al.

Dave Brooks, Nashua Telegraph

NewsAdmin

join:2009-02-13
Hey Dave,

Enjoyed your Telegraph article! Is the problem that Fairpoint provides Usenet but the cutover disrupted access, or do they not have plans to offer Usenet access?

Bob / NewsAdmin.Com

jadziedzic
Premium
Nashua, NH
reply to tschmidt
FYI, I've suggested to the nice folks at GigaNews that they consider some sort of promotional offer for FairPoint customers. I have a suspicion that we'll see something from GigaNews before we get an answer from FairPoint.

Quite frankly, it's ridiculous that no one at FairPoint can answer the Usenet question with a definite "yes" or "no". But then again, it's also ridiculous that they didn't have all those answers BEFORE the switch was thrown on January 30th, or that they could have forgotten the folks who use dial-up access, or the batch of customers that signed up since their original e-mail customer data draw from Verizon in November.

Oh, for the person who asked, there *is* a news.fairpoint.net Usenet server out there, but the credentials for ex-Verizon customers don't work with that server.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by jadziedzic:

it's ridiculous that no one at FairPoint can answer the Usenet question with a definite "yes" or "no".
It appears FairPoint Team responsible for Verizon conversion does not know what Usenet is. But perhaps I'm being overly cynical.

For the record "news.Verizon.net" still works for me and I assume will continue to do so until transition period is over April 30th.

/tom

Dave Brooks

@telegraphnh.com
reply to tschmidt
> Enjoyed your Telegraph article! Is the problem that Fairpoint provides Usenet but the cutover disrupted access, or do they not have plans to offer Usenet access?

Jill Wurm wasn't certain, but I believe they plan to still offer Usenet access as soon as they figure out what the problem is. I'm not certain, however; there hasn't been any official statement about it.

NewsAdmin

reply to jadziedzic
said by jadziedzic:

Oh, for the person who asked, there *is* a news.fairpoint.net Usenet server out there, but the credentials for ex-Verizon customers don't work with that server.
Thanks for the additional info! It should be a straightforward yes/no question for Fairpoint as to whether they'll be providing Usenet, so hopefully they won't leave folks in the dark for too long.

If they have an existing news.fairpoint.net address the current access disruption may simply be related to the cutover rather than a decision not to carry Usenet.

Over the past few months I know that a number of Usenet providers have extended special offers to newsgroup users who were displaced by various ISPs dropping Usenet (Roadrunner, Verizon, etc.) so I'm sure those offers will crop up if Fairpoint decides to do similar.

Bob / NewsAdmin.Com

NewsAdmin

1 recommendation

reply to Dave Brooks
said by Dave Brooks :

Jill Wurm wasn't certain, but I believe they plan to still offer Usenet access as soon as they figure out what the problem is. I'm not certain, however; there hasn't been any official statement about it.
"jadziedzic" mentioned that there has been a functional NNTP address (news.fairpoint.net) so I think you may be right about the current access hiccup being related to the cutover mess as opposed to Fairpoint discontinuing Usenet service.

From what I've read & heard this wasn't a minor cutover, so as annoying as these disruptions may be, they're usually inevitable given the size of the transition. With that said Fairpoint could probably do a better job of keeping customers in the loop lol.

Bob / NewsAdmin.Com

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
reply to tschmidt
news.bellatlantic.net also continues to work for now.

kirby

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by Kirby Smith:

news.bellatlantic.net
Interesting point. I'd have thought they retired that domain years ago.

Looks like they plan to keep it around:

Created on..............: 1996-06-28.
    Expires on..............: 2010-06-26.
    Record last updated on..: 2009-01-21.

http://whois.domaintools.com/bellatlantic.net

/tom

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to NewsAdmin
said by NewsAdmin:

Fairpoint could probably do a better job of keeping customers in the loop
Wow Ya think! Official info from FairPoint is nonexistent. Luckily my DSL is working as advertised. ISP Email and Usenet is not important enough at this time to spend hours on phone or chat sessions with support folks unable to address issues.

»www.myfairpoint.net/fairpoint/po···dex.aspx

»www.fairpoint.com/

»www.fairpoint.com/news/press_rel···INAL.pdf

To her credit Jill Wurm has posted a couple of times but David Brooks of the Nashua Telegraph is our only real FairPoint contact. Be nice if other local papers, especially in VT and ME, were as connected.

/tom

NewsAdmin

reply to Kirby Smith
said by Kirby Smith:

news.bellatlantic.net also continues to work for now.

kirby
Very cool! I had thought that most of the Bell news servers had been shut down when other ISPs (Roadrunner, Verizon, etc.) were discontinuing Usenet, so it's good to hear that some of their servers are still active.

Bob / NewsAdmin.Com

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
I set up news.bellatlantic.net in my email client when I signed on with Vz DSL at the end of 2000, and FiOS conversion occurred without any evident need to change it. I don't recall Vz ever specifically sending me information suggesting a different server was to be used.

kirby

jadziedzic
Premium
Nashua, NH
No word yet on Usenet support from FairPoint - David Brooks, have you heard anything?

NewsAdmin

said by jadziedzic:

No word yet on Usenet support from FairPoint - David Brooks, have you heard anything?
We've talked with a couple of people at Fairpoint, and it sounds like they're still settling in after the Verizon cutover. No specific details to offer regarding their Usenet, but David may have more insight into the current status.

If getting an account with a dedicated Usenet provider is an option for you, we have provider comparisons at our site that may or may not be helpful.

Bob / NewsAdmin.Com

jadziedzic
Premium
Nashua, NH
said by NewsAdmin:

If getting an account with a dedicated Usenet provider is an option for you, we have provider comparisons at our site that may or may not be helpful.

Bob / NewsAdmin.Com
I'd vote "may not".

The table on the home page of your site would lead one to believe that the "lowest price" for provider "x" is in fact higher than reality. For example, GigaNews offers plans featuring lower data transfer allotments costing as low as $2.99/month. The information shown for GigaNews is also incorrect; GigaNews' price of $12.99 gives you *35Mb*.

And no, I'm not a GigaNews user (yet).

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to tschmidt
Executive Summary - they have no idea.

David Brooks of the Nashua Telegraph followed up with FairPoint today about Usenet transition and posted an update on his blog.

Perhaps I'm being overly cynical, I had actually been a FairPoint defender for a while, but I bet no one on the transition team even knows what Usenet is.

»granitegeek.org/2009/03/04/lost-···-usenet/

/tom

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

2 edits
reply to tschmidt
It appears there news.fairpoint.net address is pointing to Giganews ISP outsourcing server. Depending on how Giganews/Fairpoint are authenticating customers, could make it an easy or more time consuming fix. Ideally, they are doing so simply by IP address...In this case all someone needs to do is let Giganews know of all the new IP blocks recently acquired by fairpoint for this area....If its by username and password (same as e-mail perhaps)...thats a whole other ball of wax and will require some contact and time between the two parties. As some of you said, I am sure this is low on fairpoints radar right now.

EDIT-- Is Jill Wurm the main contact person regarding Usenet? I had sent a couple of e-mails several months ago looking to come to some sort of agreement to provide access, mainly because they are a "local" company and so are we, but they fell on deaf ears I believe due to the transition. Since I have read this thread it seems like they are still taking there time making decisions about this.
--
Block Accounts | UseNet Now

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by swintec:

Is Jill Wurm the main contact person regarding Usenet?
I think so. David Brooks mentioned that name in reference to getting updates from FairPoint. I think she is the main PR contract. Looks like at this point they don't have a Usenet contact - slipped through the cracks. It looks like she has posted a couple of items at BBR as an anon so can't be sure it was really her.

/tom

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by tschmidt:

said by swintec:

Is Jill Wurm the main contact person regarding Usenet?
I think so. David Brooks mentioned that name in reference to getting updates from FairPoint. I think she is the main PR contract. Looks like at this point they don't have a Usenet contact - slipped through the cracks. It looks like she has posted a couple of items at BBR as an anon so can't be sure it was really her.

/tom
Alright thanks. I also saw in another thread an anon poster named Beth may be able to get me pointed in the right direction as well. I will e-mail her at least and also try to dig up Jill's contact information.

I dont know what kind of deal they are looking for or if they are in one already but we should be able to get them/customers set up fairly quickly if we worked one out.
--
Block Accounts | UseNet Now

NewsAdmin

reply to jadziedzic
said by jadziedzic:

I'd vote "may not".

The table on the home page of your site would lead one to believe that the "lowest price" for provider "x" is in fact higher than reality. For example, GigaNews offers plans featuring lower data transfer allotments costing as low as $2.99/month. The information shown for GigaNews is also incorrect; GigaNews' price of $12.99 gives you *35Mb*.

And no, I'm not a GigaNews user (yet).
Thanks for the feedback! Usenet providers change account options & pricing on a frequent basis, and we try to catch all those changes during the scheduled updates we do to the site. The Giganews account changes were done pretty recently, but we went ahead and updated that info today, in advance of our next site update!

All of our current metered provider picks offer at least 25GB of monthly download capacity, so we compare the 35GB Giganews account rather than their $2.99 account, which only offers 3GB month.

Thanks again for posting the comments, they're much appreciated.

Bob / NewsAdmin