XP Police Antivirus
Click for full size
SysAntivirus 2009
Click for full size
Virus Doctor
Click for full size
My Supervisor
Click for full size
SafeGuard 2009 is a rogue anti-spyware program from the same family as MS AntiSpyware 2009.
Click for full size
Antivirus 2009 Plus
Click for full size
AntiSpyware 3000
Click for full size
Spyware Protect 2009
I don't know if it's just me or has there been a lot of new Malware and Spyware Rogue programs being pushed out this year? I have seen 11 so far all starting on or around January 15 2009 leading up to February 6 2009, and all can be removed by Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Basically i am looking at some feed back from the members here on what rogue Spyware and Malware programs they had seen or have cleaned off of computers this year, and what security programs they have used to clean said rogue programs from systems.

Edit: Spelling.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

It isn't just you.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

2 edits

jaykaykay to MarkAW

MVM

to MarkAW
So far, so good, but from what I've been reading, it certainly isn't just you. But, you got me thinking and am going to a scan or 2 with my programs...just to make sure.

Do you run all of the programs shown?

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

1 edit

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by jaykaykay:

So far, so good, but from what I've been reading, it certainly isn't just you. But, you got me thinking and am going to a scan or 2 with my programs...just to make sure.

Do you run all of the programs shown?
All the programs shown are rogue Spyware or Malware programs.

The programs i use to remove the rogue programs shown are either Malwarebytes'Anti-malware, SuperAntiSpyware, a-squared, Trojan Remover, and Avast 4.8 Home Edition.

cleaner09
@dpr2.com

cleaner09 to MarkAW

Anon

to MarkAW
Are you sure ALL these are rogue? Some of them look pretty slick and I think I've seen 1 or 2 of them before.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
Canada

3 edits

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by cleaner09 :

Are you sure ALL these are rogue? Some of them look pretty slick and I think I've seen 1 or 2 of them before.
Yes i am sure all are rogue.
If you still don't believe me check here and see.

»www.bleepingcomputer.com ··· removal/
»www.spywarewarrior.com/r ··· ware.htm

Thug21
Just Chillin'
Premium Member
join:2005-08-21

1 edit

Thug21 to cleaner09

Premium Member

to cleaner09
said by cleaner09 :

Of course they are slick - these crooks know how to get customers!

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 edit

jaykaykay

MVM

Shows how little I (many of us) know! Thank heaven I also run some very good programs to remove such things. Again, so far, so good.

cleaner09
@dpr2.com

cleaner09 to MarkAW

Anon

to MarkAW
nuts. My wife runs Total Defender. I thought it was the one everyone recommends; I must be confused. Maybe I can cancel the payment....

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to MarkAW

Premium Member

to MarkAW
I have never seen or got them on my pc. I like to think it is pretty locked down. Any thing is possible though. Man that stuff looks pretty real. Easy to fool non techy people. And there are plenty.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
Canada

MarkAW to cleaner09

Premium Member

to cleaner09
said by cleaner09 :

nuts. My wife runs Total Defender. I thought it was the one everyone recommends; I must be confused. Maybe I can cancel the payment....
»forums.majorgeeks.com/sh ··· t=163946
»pandalabs.pandasecurity. ··· der.aspx
»readerszone.com/security ··· rus.html

Stem Bolt
Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Premium Member
join:2002-11-08
Metropolis

1 edit

Stem Bolt to cleaner09

Premium Member

to cleaner09
said by cleaner09 :

I would cancel the credit card. The point of these rogue anti-malware programs is to get you to first buy them and then use your credit card info to commit more fraud.

If your wife is running one of these programs, cancel the credit card as soon as possible and check/remove the malware that's installed on her computer.

Dispute the initial charge for Total Defender and any other bogus charges with the credit card company.

NanDog
The Pup Was Female, I'M Not
Premium Member
join:2003-12-28
Bremerton, WA

1 recommendation

NanDog to cleaner09

Premium Member

to cleaner09
said by cleaner09 :

You're certainly not alone.

This plethora of bogus AV/AS programs can confuse even the most knowledgeable.

MarkAW provided some pretty darned good links although I think Eric Howe's Spywarewarrior info is a bit outdated due to his current obligations.

I also think it's important to tell friends and family to never click on a pushed or pop-up link to any program.

If one wants a good legitimate program, they should seek it out and research it and then make the decision whether to download it or not.

The good proggies are out there for the asking. The bad stuff tries to lure or coerce the user into opting in.

Practice safe hex!!

elvey
Spamassassin
join:2001-02-17
San Francisco, CA

elvey to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
said by Stem Bolt:

said by cleaner09 :

I would cancel the credit card. The point of these rogue anti-malware programs is to get you to first buy them and then use your credit card info to commit more fraud.

If your wife is running one of these programs, cancel the credit card as soon as possible and check/remove the malware that's installed on her computer.

Dispute the initial charge for Total Defender and any other bogus charges with the credit card company.
Good advice. (Also: advise Wife 1.0 of potential downgrade to Girlfriend 2.0 ramifications...)
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned) to Thug21

to Thug21
said by Thug21:

said by cleaner09 :

cleaner09 is a fool or does not know how rogue software looks like.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
Canada

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by 47717768:
said by Thug21:
said by cleaner09 :

cleaner09 is a fool or does not know how rogue software looks like.

cleaner09
@dpr2.com

cleaner09 to Stem Bolt

Anon

to Stem Bolt
So I just got home and my wife refuses to uninstall Total Defender. I showed her the links and she still says they are wrong and wants to keep it. Those of you who are married know that it is (almost) always in the husband's best interest to keep his wife happy and I feel that if I pursue the matter further she will get even more upset and then start sulking and then nobody is happy. She is not a technical person but she does have a temper.

Currently I am trying to cancel the credit card but it is in her name (we have only been married a few months so it is an account she had when she was single) so I am not making much headway. Any further prodding on my part will undoubtedly end poorly for me. I don't want to hurt our new marriage and sometimes I guess you just have to pick your battles if you want to get lucky tonight .

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
Canada

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by cleaner09 :

So I just got home and my wife refuses to uninstall Total Defender. I showed her the links and she still says they are wrong and wants to keep it. Those of you who are married know that it is (almost) always in the husband's best interest to keep his wife happy and I feel that if I pursue the matter further she will get even more upset and then start sulking and then nobody is happy. She is not a technical person but she does have a temper.

Currently I am trying to cancel the credit card but it is in her name (we have only been married a few months so it is an account she had when she was single) so I am not making much headway. Any further prodding on my part will undoubtedly end poorly for me. I don't want to hurt our new marriage and sometimes I guess you just have to pick your battles if you want to get lucky tonight .
My answer to this would be if it was my wife and she was saying this to me, the first and fore most thing i would do is take that computer off line until she smartens up and sees that what she has is a rogue program.

tempnexus
Premium Member
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

tempnexus to MarkAW

Premium Member

to MarkAW
I use them all, and I have to tell you that they find stuff that other anti-viruses have missed!

I love it!

I wish there was more programs like that, to fill the gaps between detection of what others have apparently missed and I mean some of them have missed a lot!!!

I even had Netbus trojan installed and I didn't know!!!!

Diazruanova
Premium Member
join:2004-08-13
Mexico

Diazruanova to cleaner09

Premium Member

to cleaner09
said by cleaner09 :

Sorry my friend, if you do not like my opinion, but I think you are starting you marriage life with the wrong foot IF you are NOT able to even establish a simple grown up communication with her and btw, not everything is sex in a relationship between a couple.

tempnexus
Premium Member
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

tempnexus to cleaner09

Premium Member

to cleaner09
said by cleaner09 :

It sounds to me that your wife doesn't want to be proven wrong by you. She knows that she made a mistake but she will not show it...she is wearing the pants or wants to wear the pants...and so far she is winning.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

I've seen XP Police Antivirus up close and personal on a customer's computer. I've literally seen all of these baddies. Makes me laugh every time.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

I love AntiSpyware 3000 The best Doctor for your PC.
That one would of sold me

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

2 edits

KoRnGtL15 to cleaner09

Premium Member

to cleaner09
That is enough to cause a divorce if she is that mighty and power full with you. Just let her get took and when the fraud charges or identity theft kicks in. Just throw your hands up and say I told ya so. I would also stay away from that pc with your personal needs. Just let her use it or buy your own.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

MarkAW

Premium Member

Click for full size
HDrive Sweeper
Click for full size
Just notice bleepingcomputer.com just added another rogue to their list today called HDriveSweeper.
quote:
HDriveSweeper is a rogue system optimization program that utilizes false positives and exaggerated scan results as a scare tactic in order to have you purchase their software. This program pretends to be a privacy protection software, but in reality all it does is list harmless files on your computer as severe privacy risks. It does this to scare you into thinking that you have significant privacy issues in the hope that you will go out a purchase a license of HDrive Sweeper in order to fix these problems.

Once installed, HDriveSweeper will be configured to start automatically on your computer when you login to Windows. Once running, it will scan your computer and list a variety of problems that cannot be fixed until you purchase the program. Another side effect of having this program installed is that your computer will start to become slower. This is because HDriveSweeper is using resources that legitimate programs could use to make them run more efficiently.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

1 edit

Doctor Four

Premium Member

said by MarkAW:

Just notice bleepingcomputer.com just added another rogue to their list today called HDriveSweeper.
That one kind of reminds me of Evidence Eliminator.

System Guard 2009 is what was encountered in this topic (now locked): »Attack site?
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

47717768 (banned) to MarkAW

to MarkAW
Here is a good site on Rougeware.
»www.spyware-techie.com/

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
Canada

MarkAW

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Can't be that good if it's being blocked.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

1 recommendation

47717768 (banned)

Click for full size
Hm i do not know what you are using for browser security,but there is nothing bad about the site it is totally clean maybe your filter has flagged word like "Spyware"

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

MarkAW

Premium Member

System Tuner

System Tuner

System Tuner
Another rogue found and added to the list.

System Tuner is a rogue system optimization program from the same developers as HDriveSweeper.