uniqs
JimPletcher
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Enola, PA

JimPletcher

Premium Member

Combine UHF & VHF on one 75-ohm cable

I need to connect two antennas (one UHF, and one VHF) to a single 75-ohm distribution cable.
Can I use a simple splitter, or do I need something else?
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

A splitter should be fine
JimPletcher
Premium Member
Enola, PA

JimPletcher

Premium Member

Thanks for the response.

I'm using a splitter now, but have so many issues (marginal signal strength, multi-path, etc.) that I need all the help I can get within the building. (I can't replace the wiring).

Currently have two antennas connected to a splitter, feeding a four-way drop amplifier.
All cables are terminated.
One of the drops gets split again.
The marginal signal (channel 8)rarely works in digital (especially at the second split).

Thanks again for your help!

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to JimPletcher

Premium Member

to JimPletcher
A splitter could be used, there are more expensive VHF/UHF combiners that use band pass filters that might give you a slight improvement in the signal. Perhaps the antennas need to be reoriented? What kind of coax are you using?

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation to JimPletcher

Premium Member

to JimPletcher
Here - »www.tvantenna.com/produc ··· ers.html - are some active preamps, some with separate VHF and UHF inputs.

Mdoc
Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium Member
join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA

Mdoc to JimPletcher

Premium Member

to JimPletcher
If you want to reduce signal loss incurred by the addition of a splitter, you can add an active splitter to offset the loss.
JimPletcher
Premium Member
Enola, PA

JimPletcher to ArthurS

Premium Member

to ArthurS
I'm in the process of tweaking the antennas.

Unfortunately the coax is NOT RG 6, but it can't be changed without destroying LOTS of drywall.

I found (and ordered) a VHF/UHF combiner, as well as a better splitter (both are inexpensive). We'll see what happens.

I just discovered the (separate VHF/UHF input) amplifiers, and will take a closer look at them. The Channel Master 7777 and Winegard AP-2880 both look like they may handle the primary four-way split.

I wish I had discovered this forum a few weeks ago.
Thanks everyone!!
Expand your moderator at work