how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jms27

join:2006-03-09
Auburn, AL

Switching to charter for tv,internet, and phone! ATT threat

My install is tommrow Feb 10th 2008 in Decatur AL. Att is calling and suggesting i will lose my number and they can beat charters price and reliability? The att rep was just nasty, telling me to ask charter now about their reliability. My question is should I be worried about this install, I read a lot of complains and I know people only voice their complains on this forum. Example should I ask for moto 6416 or 34616 or a moxi(read about the failures), also my telephone # being ported from att is still active, from my understanding att is supposed to disconnect their service first, then charter is to come out and connect their service. Thanks hopefully I can write back to complement charter.

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
kudos:1
givin charters cap policy id not switch to charter

BBT IV
Premium
join:2006-03-22
Central Point, OR
reply to jms27
Not sure how things are in Decatur but all works fine here. If your number is being ported let Charter do everything, don't cancel your account/number with ATT. The porting process essentially closes your account with the ILEC when the number is ported, if you do it before they port the number you will probably lose your number. I personally prefer the 6416 over a Moxi.

LowRider

join:2006-06-23
Douglasville, GA
reply to jms27
don't get moxie if u have a choice. i think there is a new box out that came out towards the end of last yr? moxie's are nice but they suck in reliability. and it takes a tech to come out and check them, no switch at the local office. Does ATT even offer Uverse in your area? you will more than likely save more money with charter. also if i was you i would keep ATT on a basic plan just in case of emergency if it is a regular line anyway. they back feed electricity in the line, so unless the line goes down in a storm your always good.

mj3431

join:2003-04-21
STL, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to jms27
First off, you can ignore zed260 because although Charter is implementing caps, the updated TOS doesn't define any overages for the caps. ATT is also implementing caps however and has already hinted at charging overage fees (»More Specifics On AT&T's Cap Plans) so this is a moot point. I have had Charter service before, and currently have ATT Elite DSL (cash back for switching and I wanted to try it out) and I can say that I have not noticed any major discrepancies between the two, other than my DSL IP seems to be cycling every 6 days or so where I used to have my old Charter IP for months without change. Most of my pings are within 15ms between the two and have been consistently lower with DSL. All that being said, my Charter service was rock solid, as is my DSL, so I plan to switch back to Charter's 10Mbit service next month with a new TV bundle as the Elite DSL just doesn't cut it for me. I have no experience with Charter phone.

Edit: I also used to have a Moxi and never had any trouble with it, however I kept it in my basement which is a bit cooler and it was on top of an open shelf. It did create a considerable amount of heat but I gave it up to save a few bucks.

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
reply to jms27
well atleast they offer an option to pay overges past the cap

charter will just cancel your service

Pow Wow

@charter.com
Actually they will not just cut your service, you will probably get a call, email or letter in the mail telling you to "shape" up. So please do not spread lies... kkthx

mj3431

join:2003-04-21
STL, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to zed2608
said by zed2608:

well atleast they offer an option to pay overges past the cap

charter will just cancel your service
You're assuming. You have absolutely no supporting facts and if you would compare the caps apples to apples then Charter is clearly the way to go. Elite DSL will have a 80GB cap (with overage charges) whereas a basic 5mbit with Charter will have a 100GB soft cap. There is no mention anywhere about a definitive cut in service for passing the cap.

jms27

join:2006-03-09
Auburn, AL
Ok, clarification I am to get Hd with charter, what type of box will I get, anybody. Also after paying over 70.00 with att for just a phone line with local and long distance, charter seems a like a good deal, but I am worried about the reliability. Also I just read about the dish hd 1080p, seems like a good deal, it seems in my area according to tv guide I don't even have cnn in HD or any other major cable news in hd with charter!!

Bluethunder
Thunder PC

join:1999-12-05
Duncan, SC

1 edit
said by jms27:

Ok, clarification I am to get Hd with charter, what type of box will I get, anybody. Also after paying over 70.00 with att for just a phone line with local and long distance, charter seems a like a good deal, but I am worried about the reliability. Also I just read about the dish hd 1080p, seems like a good deal, it seems in my area according to tv guide I don't even have cnn in HD or any other major cable news in hd with charter!!
If the HD is a big concern, go with Dish for TV or (Direct). You will get many more HD channels, and the picture quality is far superior to charter's. Not to mention Dish's DVR has been reviewed many times over as the best HD DVR available. All that being said, the 1080p on Dish applies only to VOD.

I would choose Charter for internet and phone though with AT&T being your landline choice. I got rid of AT&T landline service and DSL quite a while back and never looked back. I don't use Charter phone, so I can't really speak for it's quality/uptime. I use 3rd party VoIP for phone.

mlcampbe

join:2002-03-28
Decatur, AL
reply to jms27
I too live in Decatur, AL and to be honest I have had very little problems with stability or speed in the past 2 years. I only have TV & internet through charter and both are very reliable for me.

I have had the 5mb internet plan for the past couple years and it was pretty consistently close to that most of the time. Yes, there were periods where it is slower but overall I'd guess 95% of the time I got 4.5+mb speeds.

I just this past week upgraded to the 10mb plan as I was offered a free upgrade. I had to swap out my cable modem but after that I have been seeing 9.4+mb pretty consistently.

As for reliability I can think of 2 times the internet was out for any noticable amount of time over the past 2 years.

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
reply to jms27
Reliability for internet as well as phone service is fine with Charter for me. I've been on Charter phone for almost 1.5 years, internet for 6 or 7 years.

The *new* Moxi (model 3012, case is black and silver with air vents on the top) hardware is a stark improvement over the original Moxi (model 9012, case is silver, no air vents on top). The software running both models is the same, and is better than the software on the Motorola (model 6416).

The hardware on the Motorola is probably better than the hardware on the Moxi 9012. If I had the choice, I'd get the new Moxi. Unfortunately it's only available in one or two markets right now, and Alabama isn't one of them as far as I know.

Confused yet? As stated by others, you don't have to disconnect anything or have AT&T do anything. Charter installers will take care of everything when they come to hook you up.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to jms27
said by jms27:

My install is tommrow Feb 10th 2008 in Decatur AL. Att is calling and suggesting i will lose my number
That is a lie. By LAW they have to port your number.

stlpaul

join:2006-11-15
Saint Louis, MO
said by 88615298:

said by jms27:

My install is tommrow Feb 10th 2008 in Decatur AL. Att is calling and suggesting i will lose my number
That is a lie. By LAW they have to port your number.
Unless he tried to cancel AT&T already, in which case they could be right.

When I ported my number from AT&T to Vonage, the process of porting cancelled my AT&T account automatically.