uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jeebus Juice
Premium
join:2008-01-16
Tampa, FL

Dinovite Canine Supplement

mods please move if in wrong forum.

our dog is constantly biting herself on her back. she is a four month old lab collie mix. we recently just moved from an apartment to a house with a fence back yard, so she gets to go outside a lot more and roam around the backyard. i took her to the vet the other day and he said it might be due to fleas or dry skin. we are using flea medicine for her. my boyfriend heard of dinovite on the radio and we read about it and are more confused as to if we should try it or not. we need honest opinions on the supplement because we are truly concerned for her since shes getting a bald spot on the back due to constant biting and gnawing. should we use dinovite for 90 days (grace period for money back) or is there some other supplement we should try?
--
We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some whore he picked up in town.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

1 edit

Never heard of that supplement so I can't off an opinion on that.

I say Revolution FTW.
We've been using it for a few years and it's great.

As for the vet saying "might be due to fleas or dry skin"...
The vet should be able to check for either of those and tell you. If they can't, you may want to find another vet. Could be allergies or hot spots too (which are caused by allergies).

But why try and treat if you're not sure what it is you're treating?

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to Jeebus Juice

Get a new vet. A vet can tell if your dog has fleas or dry skin.

And then get a dog food that starts with a meat as the first and main food. And if you are using lamb, go to a chicken food or whatever.
--
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for much.
But they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-10
behind you
kudos:4
reply to Jeebus Juice

I searched on Dinovite a while ago.. too many mixed stories about that stuff. I prefer something you can buy from someone besides the manufacturer.

There are many enzyme supplements. The person I got my dog from recommended Prozyme. She also recommended Missing Link and a natural dog food (no Purina or Iams). The vet agreed with this regimen. Of course, who knows.. maybe if I stopped using all this stuff and fed her kibbles and bits she'd be exactly the same.
--
I Smell Cures! -- Our Hope

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits
reply to Jeebus Juice

Since no one has mentioed it its called a HOT spot... and there are herbal remidies for it.... and as others have said GET A NEW VET if they can't recognize something that simple going on, and even health/pet store non perscripition remidies available.

My dog (LAB/Ridgeback mix) went through that for a while.... I am around him a lot (semi retired) and just discouraged him a lot.... so didn't have to do the medicince... and just went away.

Its not bugs, more just an alergy itch.

But yes they will chew themselves raw.... again was around mine enough to say stop and he did...and then faded... but I was concerned for a while until I realized how simple a thing it was.

If you can't be around enough... then simple medicine... again even herbal will take care of it likely....

AND AGAIN GET A NEW VET!!!!! Yours seems to be an only annual shot idiot.

--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit
reply to beck

said by beck:

And then get a dog food that starts with a meat as the first and main food. And if you are using lamb, go to a chicken food or whatever.

Oh that is BS too... my dog 7.5 years has eaten NOTHING but dry store rebranded (Purina) food and OCCASIONAL scraps and treats....

And my VET who is knowledgable, every time says this is one of the fitest dogs we have seen all year.

All meat especialy if human types is BAD for dogs.

IAMS and Science Diet is relative BS too unless you really like your dog costing 5x what it should.... lokk beyond the BS to the analisis... pretty much it is all the same within a percent or two...but a 5x cost difference.

And like buzzaeds dogs are by nature SCAVENGERS... they live on scraps... they die on caviar.
--

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
Premium,MVM
behind you

Some dogs are, by nature, healthier than others. Many dogs have allergies or sensitive systems and feeding them crappy store brand dog food doesn't help that. If your dog is fit and happy, then great, but that doesn't mean that store brand dog food is a good food choice.

Dogs are carnivores. When you feed them Purina, they get (in order of ingredients), Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn gluten meal, etc. You really want a food that has a meat as the first few ingredients.

Many Humans eat like crap too... and some live long and healthy lives. But, if they have problems, changing the diet is often a quick and easy fix.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit

Sorry lok at al the other bags same stuff within a per cent or two even the $25 a bag stuff.

Then it gets me I was begged to take this dog I have long loved but born on an offshore 24ft sail boat.. why whould ANYONE spend $5000 for a for sure nurotic if no physcotic unhealthy dog when there are so many GEMS for FREE.... just plase take them???

KILL the puppy mills MUTS forever.
--

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
Premium,MVM
behind you

said by Hayward:

Sorry lok at al the other bags same stuff within a per cent or two even the $25 a bag stuff.
I'd love to see where you get this information.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits

said by Dersgniw:

said by Hayward:

I'd love to see where you get this information.
The nutrition label you make your own life up from.

OK the high price spead has VITAMINS.... again may I remind you dog a 4 legged VULTURE...made to run on low OCTANE... they are by nature SCAVENGERS... not health store freaks.... again more than likely you are making them UNHEATLTHY thinking that silly human way.

They survive 10's of THOUSANDS of years without us.... and truth be told they DOMESTICATED US we did NOT domestcate the dog when we stopped being nomadic hunter gatherers and made pemanent settlement garbage dumps. They knew an easy meal when they saw one... and again VULTURE/scavanger roots...but became very mutually symbiotic... free food and easy life for a little love/snuggling.... you wouldn't go for that vs hunger hunting???
--

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

1 recommendation

reply to Jeebus Juice

I too would consider a new vet if they aren't treating your dog topically for the problem area.

If you suspect some kind of allergy a change in dog food might help. Vets love to push Science Diet as they make a nice profit from recommending and selling it. I mentioned to my Vet that I would not feed my new dog anything where the major ingredient was corn. He didn't believe that was the case for Science Diet until he checked and found it was indeed true.
(My last dog was a Husky that developed diabetes, and I didn't realize what a problem it had become in dogs until I began checking for information on this disease in dogs. Of course I don't know for certain that crappy dogs foods containing mostly corn were the problem, but I certainly suspect it to be the case).

Here is a helpful web site that rate most brands (I personally don't think it is necessary to feed a 5 or 6 star food):
Dog Food Reviews
--
The god of the religious is the one that they were programmed to believe in, and the god the atheist doesn't believe in isn't the God that is.

DMWCincy

join:2004-04-27
Fairfield, OH
reply to Hayward

said by Hayward:

said by beck:

Oh that is BS too... my dog 7.5 years has eaten NOTHING but dry store rebranded (Purina) food and OCCASIONAL scraps and treats....

And my VET who is knowledgable, every time says this is one of the fitest dogs we have seen all year.

All meat especialy if human types is BAD for dogs.

IAMS and Science Diet is relative BS too unless you really like your dog costing 5x what it should.... lokk beyond the BS to the analisis... pretty much it is all the same within a percent or two...but a 5x cost difference.

And like buzzaeds dogs are by nature SCAVENGERS... they live on scraps... they die on caviar.
Its not BS that stuff like Purina is not the best for the dog. Alot of the off brands you get a grocey store is not the most healthy for their dog. Can dogs live off that food and be in good health? Can some people eat McDonalds every day and life a healthy life...YMMV. My boxer going on 5 yrs old is in perfect health. Compare it to other dogs or boxers that eat stuff like Purina and you can tell a huge difference on his coat and muscle tone. Food does make a huge difference.

OP do some research and look at the ingredients on the bag. Remember that dogs need a balance food. All grain or all meat is not good for it. Dogs need to get their greens and grains as much as they need to get their meat. We have had good luck with Nature's Balance, Canidae, and Wellness.

Jeebus Juice
Premium
Tampa, FL
reply to Jeebus Juice

Thank you for all the reply's,i posted this before work. I am defiantly getting a new vet we went to Petsmart so i guess that's my first problem. The biting started after we moved so i think its an environment issue. We work so she does have to stay locked up for a while. We feed her puppy chow.and she only stays locked in a room for 4 hours. We are going to see about changing her food and get an allergy test. is that an expensive test?
--
We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some whore he picked up in town.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

1 edit

said by Jeebus Juice:

We are going to see about changing her food and get an allergy test. is that an expensive test?
You can call around and ask but yes, I believe it's expensive. I think it was a few (2 or 3) hundred bucks when my mother got her dog an allergy test.
But what else are you going to do? You have to find out whats wrong.

Edit: Four months may be too young but call a vet and ask... You may be able and try and give her some benadryl and see if that helps. We have to load up our one dog on benadryl for 3 days before she gets her lymes vaccine because shes allergic.

Jeebus Juice
Premium
Tampa, FL

this is my boyfriends account that i am using to read all the replies and i would like to also say thank you for all your replies. we are definately not going back to that vet @ banfield in petsmart that was a last minute decision on my part her real vet is about thirty minutes away and was booked when i wanted to get her into the office for an exam. my boyfriend gets home before i do and found a few fleas on her so he gave her a bath tonight and we have a flea collar on her. we also ordered a supply of resolution on petmeds.com

in response to changing her food. like my boyfriend mentioned she eats puppy chow and has eaten the same brand since we got her 2 and a half months ago. so we are considering changing her food but i think for now we found the source of the problem..fleas!

once again thanks for all your replies.
--

Expand your moderator at work

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

2 recommendations

reply to Jeebus Juice

Re: Dinovite Canine Supplement

If/when you decide to change to a different food, I suggest you do it gradually (like 75/25 old/new for a few days, then 50/50, etc.) A quick change can result in messes if the dog's system isn't used to different types of foods.

shdesigns