uniqs
share rss forum feed

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Wrong

And again... the coverage information is available for all to see.

quote:
FIOS lookup by address: »www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/ch···ntry.asp

Verizon DSL lookup by address: »www22.verizon.com/content/consum···ress.htm

AT&T DSL lookup by address:
»swot.sbc.com/swot/canIOrderOnlin···ocessDSL

QWest DSL lookup by address:
»www.qwest.com/residential/intern···ual.html

I decided to bother with looking up the links for Cable ISPs as well as some people had griped that I had missed that. I regret the omission.

Cox - »secure.cox.com/service/offers/av···ces.aspx

Comcast - (FINALLY) »www.comcast.com/Localization/Loc···x&area=6

Time Warner's websites are state specific.

If data is that important, someone who cares should buy a database of addresses in the USA, write a script to plug them into these sites, and make their own map.
--
Blagojevich / Madoff 2012!

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

that coverage data is not accurate. I have gone online and seen that I am eligible for service, but when I call that's not the case.

I repeat: the only way to get accurate data is from the ISPs "private stock"; publicly available data is just not accurate.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

said by nasadude:

that coverage data is not accurate. I have gone online and seen that I am eligible for service, but when I call that's not the case.
And one outlier does not make a majority.

Most people seem to have no problem using these sites. Just because a select few has a problem doesn't mean the government should get involved. And even if it did, what guarantee is there that the data would be more accurate?

If an ISP is so determined to not sell me service that they would make a mistake in qualifying my residence, that is their problem, not mine.
--

jarthur31

join:2006-04-14
Carlsbad, NM
reply to pnh102

This is funny. These companies won't allow 3rd party scripts to run on their webpages. Especially from unknown sources.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

said by jarthur31:

This is funny. These companies won't allow 3rd party scripts to run on their webpages. Especially from unknown sources.
Plenty of spammers have scripts that do automated form submissions. I am surprised this technology cannot be used for good to gather the map that everyone seems to think is so important.
--

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

And again... the coverage information is available for all to see.

quote:
FIOS lookup by address: »www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/ch···ntry.asp

Verizon DSL lookup by address: »www22.verizon.com/content/consum···ress.htm

AT&T DSL lookup by address:
»swot.sbc.com/swot/canIOrderOnlin···ocessDSL

QWest DSL lookup by address:
»www.qwest.com/residential/intern···ual.html

I decided to bother with looking up the links for Cable ISPs as well as some people had griped that I had missed that. I regret the omission.

Cox - »secure.cox.com/service/offers/av···ces.aspx

Comcast - (FINALLY) »www.comcast.com/Localization/Loc···x&area=6

Time Warner's websites are state specific.

If data is that important, someone who cares should buy a database of addresses in the USA, write a script to plug them into these sites, and make their own map.
Oh sure, we're going to plug 150-200 million home and business addresses into each database -- I'm sure they're built for that kind of scale!

BTW, Verizon's database is pretty awful. Just think bad thoughts and it'll go tits up. Comcast's database validates on what's available in the market, but then orders get canceled if it's determined in the field that the actual address isn't served. So those databases are relatively useful/useless, but not authoritative.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon -- KJ7RL
... Do something! ...

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

said by funchords:

Oh sure, we're going to plug 150-200 million home and business addresses into each database -- I'm sure they're built for that kind of scale!
That's exactly what the pro-mapping crowd wants.
said by funchords:

BTW, Verizon's database is pretty awful. Just think bad thoughts and it'll go tits up. Comcast's database validates on what's available in the market, but then orders get canceled if it's determined in the field that the actual address isn't served. So those databases are relatively useful/useless, but not authoritative.
And again, even if these problems are widespread, no government mandate will fix it.
--

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

said by pnh102:

That's exactly what the pro-mapping crowd wants.
The "pro-mapping crowd?" Good grief! Tin-foil hat time.

No, they want to know the current state of broadband availability in the United States. The theory is that it's:

a. Completely unavailable in many smaller towns.
b. So unavailable in most other places as to give the incumbent operators monopolistic market powers.
c. Not growing at pace with the rest of the world.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon -- KJ7RL
... Do something! ...

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by nasadude:

And one outlier does not make a majority.

Most people seem to have no problem using these sites. Just because a select few has a problem doesn't mean the government should get involved. And even if it did, what guarantee is there that the data would be more accurate?

If an ISP is so determined to not sell me service that they would make a mistake in qualifying my residence, that is their problem, not mine.
I might buy that last argument but for the fact that entire neighborhoods can be bypassed but still show as being in a served area. It's not just single "outliers".
--
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to pnh102

Why do they have AT&T Pro listed as $40.00? It's $30.00