spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Muse6
join:2005-07-11
Berkeley, CA

1 edit

Muse6

[DSL] Alcatel 1000 - How can I configure it, access config?

I've had the same broadband modem since I went broadband almost 10 years ago, April 1999: Alcatel 1000

Here's what it says on the sticker on the back:

ALCLRJB56574
3EC18202AA AA MREV 05 ICS 05

I suppose this means it's Rev 5, but don't know.

This is running the stock firmware that Pacbell gave me, AFAIK. Don't know if there's other firmware available...

The ISP, initially Pacbell is now AT&T SBCYahoo (dunno exactly who, it gets so complicated).

AT&T sent me a letter a few days ago offering a cheap upgrade ($5/mo) to Elite DSL, offering to double my speed and checking I see that the max DL speed is actually 6.0 mbps. Specs I see for the Alcatel 1000 indicate that it supports up to 8.0 mbps.

I started out 1.5 mbps, upgraded to 3.0 in 2004 or so (was getting 2150 kbps a couple of days ago) and just upgraded to Elite, which is supposed to give you up to 6000 kbps. The upgrade just kicked in and at speedtest.net it says I'm getting 4188 kbps now. I was informed at Anandtech forums that I may be able to configure the Alcatel 1000 modem to get a higher sync rate. How can I access the configuration utility? What do I do when I'm there? The PDF manual I have for the Alcatel 1000 has instructions for Windows 1999 era, and it's different in my XP Pro. I can't figure out how to access config. Any help very much appreciated.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

There may be a 10 day ramp-up period before you see full speed.
Muse6
Berkeley, CA

Muse6

said by McSummation:

There may be a 10 day ramp-up period before you see full speed.
Uh, yeah, someone there said it might improve over the next day. 10 days!?! What's afoot there? What is going on with that? Why might it increase over the next 10 days? Thanks!

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

SBC/AT&T ramps up the speed over a 10-day period to see what your line can actually handle. They've done it for years.

You must leave the modem on for the entire 10-day period.
Muse6
Berkeley, CA

Muse6

Ah, thanks, nobody told me about ten days, leaving the modem on. Well, I leave it on 24/7. My PC and laptop I do shut down all the time. Well, the laptop goes into standby (in most cases), the PC I normally shut down at least once a day, often more. I presume it's OK to shut down (or sleep) the machines as long as the modem is on. I leave my router on too in case I want to wake my laptop.
Muse6

Muse6

I just ran another speed test at speedtest.net and the download speed shows a ~2% increase over this morning. That's movement in the right direction.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

The steps are a lot more than 2%.

It's just the modem that has to stay on.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to Muse6

Premium Member

to Muse6
This may shine some light in a dark corner. Don't know if it is still applicable though.

»SBC DSL FAQ »It says to leave the modem on for 10 days?

Here is a nice, added function tip using a Router:

»Alcatel/Thomson Speedtouch modem FAQ »How do I access the modem configuration page / line stats from behind a router?

AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ » 3.11 Alcatel Info

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I upgrade the firmware on an Alcatel SpeedTouch Home?

If you ever change the STH Modem out to a different unit you need to read this:

»AT&T West FAQ »Upgrading from an older or Alcatel modem? Read this!

More FAQs here:

SBC DSL FAQ » 5.0 Alcatel STH or 1000 & Efficient 3010

»Alcatel/Thomson Speedtouch modem FAQ

Hope this helps.
Muse6
Berkeley, CA

Muse6

Thanks for all those links, Doc. That has already kept me busy for a while. A lot of that material is from 2002, and I don't know if it applies or how. Also, a lot of stuff is on Alcatel but I'm unsure if it applies to my Alcatel 1000.

I just did some more speed tests at speedtest.net, this time from my laptop wirelessly. 9 hours ago I did a similar test from the laptop and I got around 4300 kbps. But just now the figures were far lower:

I hope this doesn't mean trouble. I was wondering if they capped my line at 2x what I had before, because all my tests since yesterday were just about that. Not sure what to think now, but still wonder if a cap is in effect.