uniqs

ravencajun
Premium Member
join:2004-08-12
Houston, TX

ravencajun

Premium Member

[DIRECTV] old dvr as converter?

I was curious about this and hope someone can answer, I have my old dvr that direct tv left here when they replaced it with a newer model, the old one has a connection on the back where I could plug in my regular antenna so I could use it on a different input on my tv. The new dvr has no place to plug in the regular antenna (which is in my attic) so he left it disconnected, and I just connected it directly to my antenna A input on my tv, I know I would need a converter box for this antenna to continue to work and we do use it in times of storms when the dish is not working.

My question is, is it possible to use the old dvr box as a converter box for my regular antenna? rather than have to purchase a converter box? I have no idea if it does anything at all to my antenna feed once it is input into the dvr box then output to my tv?
I am doubtful but thought it worth asking.
Thanks!

opus74
Deep Thought
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Coello, IL

opus74

Premium Member

The big question: Does the DVR have a digital OTA tuner?

If it doesn't, it won't convert anything. What's the model # of the old DVR and we can look it up....?

ravencajun
Premium Member
Houston, TX

1 edit

ravencajun

Premium Member

ok this is the info I find on the unit, Direct Tv Plus satellite receiver Model R15
and it has the connection on the back for the antenna that is labeled RF Remote antenna
edit to add this is it
»www.abt.com/product/21927.html

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt
join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

LBDSL

1) you would want to us the "off air in" input, not the remote input
»www.sadoun.com/Sat/Produ ··· iver.jpg

2) I would bet it does not have a digital tuner, but that is just a guess.

ravencajun
Premium Member
Houston, TX

ravencajun

Premium Member

ah ok yes I see it does have the off air input I am sure that is what my antenna was hooked to, thanks.

Well I guess it would be worth a try when the time comes, since it is sitting here.

I know very little about it so no idea about the tuner.
it is the R15 500 I did find out that looking in the card door.
ravencajun

ravencajun to LBDSL

Premium Member

to LBDSL
I found the manual for it online and this is what is says about the off air input
OFF-AIR IN – Connect a standard TV antenna or cable feed to the DIRECTV Plus Receiver
using this jack, then connect the OUT TO TV to your TV’s antenna input. To watch from your
off-air antenna signal, turn off the DIRECTV Plus Receiver. Note that you will not be able to
record programs received off the air on your DIRECTV Plus Receiver

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/System_Manuals/DIRECTV/DIRECTV_R15.pdf

Airborne29th
join:2008-10-20
Staunton, VA

1 edit

Airborne29th to ravencajun

to ravencajun
You will still need a converter box, non of the non HD DirecTV receivers receive a digital signal through OTA, they only get OTA Analog, you can look into the AM21 and it will work with your DirecTV and add your antenna channels to your lineup on DirecTV

ravencajun
Premium Member
Houston, TX

ravencajun

Premium Member

wow that is really interesting I had no idea they has such a thing as the AM21 piggyback unit. Unfortunately the unit they brought me when they replaced my R15 is a R22 200 and the info I read on the AM21 says it will only go with the HR21.

Dual ATSC tuners
• Simple USB connection

• Small and lightweight design

• Designed to mount seamlessly on top of your HR21 receiver

• Compatible with the DIRECTV HR21 ONLY

thanks for the info though if I change over to one of those it is good to know that is an option. They did not ask me what model I wanted, I called to say my R15 was going bad and they showed up and put in the R22.

So I guess it sounds like I just get a little converter for my OTA antenna, no biggie.

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Is there by any chance something like the AM21 for people with Dish? My cousin in Alexandria,LA. area got roped into switching to Dish with the promise they would provide her local channels and now that she has it they actually do not provide them, she is desperate to try to get them back even got a small digital antenna but not working properly.