All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

SuddenlinkTX1
join:2007-09-05
Tyler, TX

SuddenlinkTX1 to war6763

to war6763

Re: Confirmed: Suddenlink is blocking Usenet ports!!

Please refrain from announcing something is "confirmed" unless Suddenlink has confirmed it.

Please see this page for the list of ports blocked/filtered by Suddenlink: »www.suddenlink.com/suppo ··· SpeedIn/
Those are the ONLY ports that are blocked/filtered on Residential accounts.

Your post sounded like you are trying to run your own server, so please also keep in mind that if you are attempting to run your own server, that is against the Acceptable Use Policy and Residential Services Agreement, and could get your services suspended.

Good luck.

lazl0
@nc.us

lazl0

Anon

Thanks for the official word. While I have had speed issues from time to time with usenet services, I've never had an issue with any port blocking. And of course, running your own NNTP service is a violation of Suddenlink's AUP...
NewsAdmin
join:2009-02-13

NewsAdmin

Sorry to hear about the situation with Suddenlink, and this appears to be a growing trend with ISPs when it comes to throttling or blocking NNTP traffic in their network.

In your experience was Suddenlink entirely blocking connections on the 119 / NNTP port, or were they restricting your connection speeds?

Not sure if you gave it a try, but folks have had some success working around these Usenet blocks by switching their newsreader to an alternate NNTP port (8080, 80, etc.) or using a web-newsgroup interface.

Most newsgroup providers offer alternate NNTP ports, and there are a few that also have a web-newsgroup option as well. If interested we run a public site that has comparisons of newsgroup providers & their account features. You may or may not be able to find someone that can get you back on track with your Usenet access. Best of luck!

Bob / NewsAdmin.Com
dwd
join:2008-12-16
Eureka, CA

dwd to SuddenlinkTX1

to SuddenlinkTX1
I just read the reasoning and it seems legitimate for those trying to run high volume web servers on home accounts. Roadrunner does the same thing to stop web servers on home accounts. But I ran a web server--not high volume--by getting around that limitation somehow. Can't remember how I did it. It was a fine workaround for personal webserver stuff between me and a couple of friends that needed to share large files from time to time. Now we just use our own shell accounts and set up FTP accounts. But we weren't trying to abuse the system either.