Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Snoopy2
Premium
join:2001-03-29
Mobile, AL

Comcast cable diameter?

What is the type and diameter of tv cable that CC uses to wire residential homes? Need to know the correct size hole to drill for snug fit. TY.
--
RM1 (USN-RET)

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA

You might want to make your hole big enough so that the F connector can fit thru as well. If so, this will be a larger hole than just the RG-6 cable itself.

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to Snoopy2

Drill a larger hole then use one of these on both sides of the wall. Ordinarily an RG6 cable will require a 3/8" bit. You don't want to squeeze your cable thru a too-small hole - you can change the impedance of the cable and cause distortions, etc.

Use one of these gaskets on either side of the wall:

from here:
»www.computercablestore.com/RG6_N···322.aspx

or from your local cable guy.

snolsen

join:2004-01-10
Bedford, NH
reply to Snoopy2

Put in a box/face plate to make it look professional, and neat. If you are going through an exterior wall, make sure to make a drip loop and then caulk the hole

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to Snoopy2

If you tell us the application we can give some input as to ways to run the cable.
A snug hole is 3/8ths. Dont jiggle the bit when you drill, go straight through and it should fit like a glove.

If you are going room to room I suggest drilling a hole directly above the baseboard on one side and on the other side drilling a larger hole, 1.5-2'' at normal outlet height, inline with the others for the wallplate.

Bend the cable upward, push in slowly on the input side, then you can reach your fingers or needle nose pliers in and pull it out through the larger hole where the wallplate will be on the other side.

This is the cleanest way of doing a room to room install. You can always just drill that hole above the baseboard straight through and run the cable straight through without a wallplate. Im a wallplate guy however.

I helped a tech do 3 room to room outlets last night. The middle room fed one on each side of it as well. You only saw about 5'' of cable for the entire room wrap. A wallplate in each room.

You can also lift up the carpet and drill into the bottom of the baseboard and fish up to the other side of the wall but you chance drilling into the sole plate. Of course if you do just put the carpet back down, it should cover the hole whether you use it or not.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

Snoopy2
Premium
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to snolsen

I'll be drilling the hole cuz CC won't. Wanted to do a "custom" install for running an extra cable for my kitchen @ $63 instead of the normal $20 due a brick floor there, they wouldn't touch it. No big deal, told 'em I'd drill the hole, they run the cable. Will let 'em put the connectors on the ends AFTER the hole is drilled. Cable will be hidden behind a cabinet, so it won't make a diff what it looks like and there isn't any possibility that cabinet will ever be moved. Did discover that cable is 5/16" diameter, just so happens I have both masonry/wood bits in that size! Will drill holes like that for $43 ea. all day! Thanks for the input.
--
RM1 (USN-RET)

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
kudos:2

said by Snoopy2:

Did discover that cable is 5/16" diameter, just so happens I have both masonry/wood bits in that size!
You will want to drill a 3/8" hole for 5/16 cable. That is, unless you want the cable all F'd up as it is being pulled.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

said by MadMANN3:

said by Snoopy2:

Did discover that cable is 5/16" diameter, just so happens I have both masonry/wood bits in that size!
You will want to drill a 3/8" hole for 5/16 cable. That is, unless you want the cable all F'd up as it is being pulled.
Or find drywall or wood pulled out and cracked...

Snoopy2
Premium
Mobile, AL
reply to Snoopy2

FINAL UPDATE: Guess I drilled the 5/16" hole just right, took the two of 'em about 10 minutes to push the cable through and attach connectors until picture popped up!
--
RM1 (USN-RET)