spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

unit912

@nhti.edu

[trouble] DNS issues?

Is anyone else having problems w/DNS server. Yesterday me and my wife had issues with simple browsing at home. Most sites we went to would not load -- "browser cannot connect to web host" was the response. A few sites like Google and Yahoo did load in full, a few others would just load text and links.

My assumption is a DNS server is down somehwere. Any other insight on this?

jadziedzic
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Nashua, NH
You might want to try using the 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 DNS servers to see if that helps (change them in your router settings).

Tony

lobster11

join:2004-01-19
Brunswick, ME

2 edits
The usual sympton of waiting for a DNS server is it takes a long time to find a web page. Both Firefox and Internet Explorer seem to cache DNS addresses until you close the browser, so you have to close the browser and restart it to notice the problem. I've been using Verizon DNS addresses 68.237.161.12 in Boston (nsbost01.verizon.net) and 71.243.0.12 in New York (nsnyny01.verizon.net). Also opendns.org provides free DNS addresses in New York at 208.67.222.222 (resolver1.opendns.com) and 208.67.220.220 (resolver2.opendns.com).

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to unit912
That sounds like a congestion or sync problem not DNS.

Most commercial web pages have a lot of advertising. I've noticed occasionally when they are slow FireFox reports waiting for URLs that look like advertising. Or it could be heavy traffic to the site itself.

/tom

FredFredrick

join:2008-12-04
Laconia, NH
reply to unit912
Unit912, I've been having this problem severely.

Pages don't load at all. "Browser cannot connect to web host." If you refresh the page, it loads fine.

I can replicate this problem on any new domain I haven't yet visited. Once the DNS is cached, it seems I can visit it without issues for a while afterwards. Flushing my DNS cache seems to recreate the problem.

After switching to opendns, my problem is resolved. But it's definitely an issue with fairpoint as far as I'm concerned.