Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin to natedj

Mod

to natedj

Re: What can I use to shoot my grade.

Normally a transit level would be used for this. I imagine some of the surveyors may have them with GPS built in for importing into the PC. You definitely cannot rent one which does this with the accuracy needed. Rent a transit level and survey the property and then type it into the computer.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

3 edits

AVD

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Normally a transit level would be used for this. I imagine some of the surveyors may have them with GPS built in for importing into the PC. You definitely cannot rent one which does this with the accuracy needed. Rent a transit level and survey the property and then type it into the computer.
A transit and a level are two different things.

You sort of have to know what you are doing with an optical equipment. I would suggest, that instead of a string line, you use one of those laser levelers.

When I took surveying in college, the fist day we went out with a tiny sight with an integrated bubble level and a broomstick.

I've never seen a handheld GPS device that could determine survey grade elevations.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by AVD:
said by robbin:

You sort of have to know what you are doing with an optical equipment. I would suggest, that instead of a string line, you use one of those laser levelers.

When I took surveying in college, the fist day we went out with a tiny sight with an integrated bubble level and a broomstick.

I've never seen a handheld GPS device that could determine survey grade elevations.
Yes but the transit (level-transit) can be used for levels and may be easier to rent.

»www.engineersupply.com/d ··· 4-1.aspx

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to AVD

MVM

to AVD
said by AVD:

Could just be a regional difference in terminologies, but everyone around here refers to a transit as a transit level.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 edit

AVD

Premium Member

I looked on line and see transit-level and level-transit used interchangeably. I dunno, over here a level won't measure the vertical angle while a transit will show the horizontal and vertical (and also has a compass). I'll have to check my old surveying text to see if I'm just going senile.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by AVD:

I looked on line and see transit-level and level-transit used interchangeably. I dunno, over here a level won't measure the vertical angle while a transit will show the horizontal and vertical (and also has a compass). I'll have to check my old surveying text to see if I'm just going senile.
If you want to know about senility just ask I'm becoming an expert at it.

You're right the level is fixed but the transit level although movable can be fixed and used as a level. On one job we ran levels for aprox 6 miles using the transit and were only out by about an inch.