spc
uniqs
Kirby Smith
join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith to tschmidt

to tschmidt

Re: NNTP News

news.bellatlantic.net also continues to work for now.

kirby

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Kirby Smith:

news.bellatlantic.net
Interesting point. I'd have thought they retired that domain years ago.

Looks like they plan to keep it around:

Created on..............: 1996-06-28.
    Expires on..............: 2010-06-26.
    Record last updated on..: 2009-01-21.

http://whois.domaintools.com/bellatlantic.net

/tom
NewsAdmin
join:2009-02-13

NewsAdmin to Kirby Smith

to Kirby Smith
said by Kirby Smith:

news.bellatlantic.net also continues to work for now.

kirby
Very cool! I had thought that most of the Bell news servers had been shut down when other ISPs (Roadrunner, Verizon, etc.) were discontinuing Usenet, so it's good to hear that some of their servers are still active.

Bob / NewsAdmin.Com
Kirby Smith
join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith

I set up news.bellatlantic.net in my email client when I signed on with Vz DSL at the end of 2000, and FiOS conversion occurred without any evident need to change it. I don't recall Vz ever specifically sending me information suggesting a different server was to be used.

kirby
jadziedzic
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Nashua, NH

jadziedzic

Premium Member

No word yet on Usenet support from FairPoint - David Brooks, have you heard anything?
NewsAdmin

NewsAdmin

said by jadziedzic:

No word yet on Usenet support from FairPoint - David Brooks, have you heard anything?
We've talked with a couple of people at Fairpoint, and it sounds like they're still settling in after the Verizon cutover. No specific details to offer regarding their Usenet, but David may have more insight into the current status.

If getting an account with a dedicated Usenet provider is an option for you, we have provider comparisons at our site that may or may not be helpful.

Bob / NewsAdmin.Com
jadziedzic
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Nashua, NH

jadziedzic

Premium Member

said by NewsAdmin:

If getting an account with a dedicated Usenet provider is an option for you, we have provider comparisons at our site that may or may not be helpful.

Bob / NewsAdmin.Com
I'd vote "may not".

The table on the home page of your site would lead one to believe that the "lowest price" for provider "x" is in fact higher than reality. For example, GigaNews offers plans featuring lower data transfer allotments costing as low as $2.99/month. The information shown for GigaNews is also incorrect; GigaNews' price of $12.99 gives you *35Mb*.

And no, I'm not a GigaNews user (yet).
NewsAdmin

NewsAdmin

said by jadziedzic:

I'd vote "may not".

The table on the home page of your site would lead one to believe that the "lowest price" for provider "x" is in fact higher than reality. For example, GigaNews offers plans featuring lower data transfer allotments costing as low as $2.99/month. The information shown for GigaNews is also incorrect; GigaNews' price of $12.99 gives you *35Mb*.

And no, I'm not a GigaNews user (yet).
Thanks for the feedback! Usenet providers change account options & pricing on a frequent basis, and we try to catch all those changes during the scheduled updates we do to the site. The Giganews account changes were done pretty recently, but we went ahead and updated that info today, in advance of our next site update!

All of our current metered provider picks offer at least 25GB of monthly download capacity, so we compare the 35GB Giganews account rather than their $2.99 account, which only offers 3GB month.

Thanks again for posting the comments, they're much appreciated.

Bob / NewsAdmin