All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Learo2000GT
@comcast.net

Learo2000GT

Anon

Moved my Arris modem and now can not get a dial tone?

I wanted to move my Aris modem. SO I moved it up stairs and hooked it up to the cable that goes to the TV on a spliter and ran the telepohe line and powered it up. No dial tone and the link light does not come on....
I tried powering it down and hitting the reset botton. Do I need to call comcast?

Any advise would be great.. thanks DOug
noobfragger
join:2008-01-16
Elk Grove, CA

noobfragger

Maby to many splitters on that line? can you plug a computer in to look at the signals?

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

ztmike to Learo2000GT

Premium Member

to Learo2000GT
Are you plugging the phone line into the modem directly?
noobfragger
join:2008-01-16
Elk Grove, CA

noobfragger

if you only have one Phone number did you plug it in the correct jack on the Arris?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to Learo2000GT

to Learo2000GT
the link light will not come on unless a computer is attached to it....

is your phone plugged right into the EMTA? or is it being run to the wall jack?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Learo2000GT

Premium Member

to Learo2000GT
»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!
wozz007
join:2008-09-09
Greensburg, PA

wozz007 to Learo2000GT

to Learo2000GT
On the front of the Arris, you should have solid green power, DS, US and online, that will indicate block sync. If one or more are flashing then it doesnt have block sync. If you are not connecting a phone directly to the modem to get dial tone, then it is possible the wiring may need to be altered to allow you to connect into the jack. When they install the modem, and connect it to a jack where you previously had the modem, the tech will wire all the other jacks to tie into the jack the modem is connected to. So if you move the modem, the wiring would need to be redone. Call for a tech if that is the case.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

Only way to truly find out if you have a Telephone connection, is to connect a handset directly, and also connect a computer directly to the unit. If no dial tone, this means that most likely the jack is mis-wired to the rest, and needs to make sure that all jacks are wired Green & Red for pins 2&3 if a 4 wire jack. If a 6 wire jack, it is pins 3&4 (basically the middle two pins on all jacks.

The reason for connecting a computer directly is to log into the eMTA to verify that you have successful connections on the phone side with no errors, and same with the data side. Even if you do not pay for Hi-Speed service, if you attempt to go to a webpage, you should get Comcast's default new user page.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Greg_Z:

Only way to truly find out if you have a Telephone connection, is to connect a handset directly, and also connect a computer directly to the unit. If no dial tone, this means that most likely the jack is mis-wired to the rest, and needs to make sure that all jacks are wired Green & Red for pins 2&3 if a 4 wire jack. If a 6 wire jack, it is pins 3&4 (basically the middle two pins on all jacks.

The other thing is IF you still have landline service (POTS) and this jack is still connected to that OR not one of the rewired ones, You SHOULD NOT plug the eMTA in to it. a real possiblity of damaging the eMTA or (less likely but possible) phone company equipment, both of which you may be liable for the full cost of repairs!!! (CC might eat the cost of the eMTA, but the phone company can run $0000's (and it's a federal crime)
The lesson is DON'T MOVE THE eMTA, unless you are sure you know that you're doing, OR are willing to pay if you are wrong.
You pay CC for service, have them move it for you.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

My house is wired in a way, that you unplug the wiring block's RJ-11 from a Jack, then from there the whole house can be connected to any VoIP device. Works out good for me, but for some they seem to not take the time to make it easier in their own homes. On the plus side, I have been contemplating unhooking Ma Bell's wiring from my house, since we have not had their service for over 2 years, and just roll it up and tape on the main wire at the pole.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Greg_Z:

My house is wired in a way, that you unplug the wiring block's RJ-11 from a Jack, then from there the whole house can be connected to any VoIP device. Works out good for me, but for some they seem to not take the time to make it easier in their own homes. On the plus side, I have been contemplating unhooking Ma Bell's wiring from my house, since we have not had their service for over 2 years, and just roll it up and tape on the main wire at the pole.

You shouldn't remove the line, but they will if you request it. (as soon as comcast sees it's gone, your rates will double )
When you unpluge at the DeMarc, you should cover/mark the jack as "VoIP" so the helpful lineman doesn't just plug it back in some night. and yes they do stuff in the middle of the night (it's legal, if not to smart) One night 10 years ago, I thought I heard a racoon, but found a new 4 line demarc on the side of the house the next day (a little wierd since I only have one line of minimum service) Was sure if it was a mistake, so I called, and they had a day&night crew upgrading all the houses in the area, (reason unknown even to the local construction supt. just something corprate sent down.
I told him some of my nieghbors would shoot first, then ask "who is it?
even weirder was they had upgraded my house to a two line the year before as part of a line repair (not to my house), without saying anything.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

No they wont. We do not have Phone service with Comcast even. Only phone service is through mobile phones. As for the Demarc, there is nothing even going to it at this time, due to ripped all telephone wiring out in the house, and just the box on the side with the Telco wiring going to it is the only thing left.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er to Learo2000GT

to Learo2000GT
not all of those jacks disable incoming voltage from the telco...there might be wiring connector on the backs of the posts that still connect to the telco side of the nid

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt

Premium Member

Not if it's wired correctly, the deMarc (demarcation point ), is exactly what it says, the telco side and the customer side, once the telco installs it/screws it to the house, YOU own it. however the telco owns the space and right to use the "telco" side * (and you can't move it with their permission) and that divider is the line between inside (you pay for repair) and outside( they pay for repair) and the only thing/wiring allowed to connect between them is the jack/stub (has some technical name I have forgotten)
It doesn't mean "somebody" hasn't screwed up at some point (like the comcast installer who should DC and tag any lines he is using, or some previous Handi-Guy, etc)
Rielise that the phone system is mostly low-er voltages but can hit 132V DC++ (OUCH) on a ring. Not good for people or low voltage electronics.

*your mail box is the same, except you must buy it, but once installed/addressed/approved the post office owns/controls the space inside plus any non homeowner attachments to the outside and post

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er

or in this case the door does it