how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrSmith

join:2009-02-16
united state

[ex-VZ] Linux client / not net neutral?

Recently been going through the Verizon -> Fairpoint transition. My Windows clients can see myfairpoint.net home page just fine, but my Linux client is drawing a blank, literally! Firefox on Linux can surf the whole web, but when I try to view www.myfairpoint.net there's nothing there. Anyone else see the (lack of) same?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
Interesting, I've noticed playing with the myFairpoint.net URL sometimes I get page not found. I can't imagine they are deliberately blocking Linux. Firefox 3 on XP works fine here.

Just for fun try:
»www.myfairpoint.net/fairpoint/po···dex.aspx

/tom

DrSmith

united state

1 edit
Wow, your ...fairpoint/portal/index.aspx URL works fine in my Linux/FF3 browser. But when I delete back to just the »myfairpoint.net base URL I get a completely blank screen, no error, and no attempt to continue loading.

Yes, XP/FF3 works fine for me too. It's just Linux/FF3 that seems to get nothing back from the base url.

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
kudos:3
reply to DrSmith
Same issue with our UNIX servers (Solaris 10).

No problem with the page display with Safari, Firefox, or Opera browsers on OS X, but Firefox on Solaris 10 yields a completely blank page with nothing there.

As OS X is related to UNIX, it makes no logical sense to me...
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

DrSmith

united state
I'm guessing this is a subtle way for Fairpoint customer support to terminate a support call. They don't want to support Unix/Linux clients. Rather than rely on caller honesty (what OS/browser are you running?), they ask you to browse to www.myfairpoint.com. Blank screen? Oh, we'll open a trouble ticket and get back to you (never).

FredFredrick

join:2008-12-04
Laconia, NH
It's not a linux issue.

I have the same problem with Opera 9 in Windows XP.

It appears to be foul play, though.

Their server isn't even sending anything after it detects the browser. They're selectively blocking certain browsers. I changed my settings for Opera to "Mask as Internet Explorer" and myfairpoint.net works fine. It's not an incompatibility, it's a deliberate block.

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
kudos:3
As said, it works fine with Safari, Firefox, and Opera on O SX...

Just tried all of the above on XPP SP3, and they all work OK with that set-up. IE also works fine.

May be just a fluke, but still can't see anything on the UNIX servers.

I don't begin to speculate why- it isn't logical...
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."