how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

koolzero

join:2002-09-13
Overland Park, KS

Problems with phone power

I have had phone power since Nov last year. I paid for 2 years of service for 200 bucks. For the first month the service seemed to work okay, now however I pick up and get a dial tone but then dial out and it never rings and just goes silent.

I have my phone power modem plugged into my linksys router. This is the way it was set up from when I first got it and it worked.

Here is a great example of the issues I run into on a regular basis. I just received a phone call and I was able to answer it and have a brief conversation. I hung up the converstaition and then tried to call someone and my phone service is now dead. I pick up the phone and there is no dial tone.

I can reset the modem and it will work for a little while then it will go out again, and I have to keep resetting it. I have had then send me another modem thinking that that was the issue.

I have spent countless hours trying to make it work and now I am ready to dump them and go back to TW Digital phone, it was more expensive but at least it worked.

I have a linksys BEFSR81 and my voip modem is going into port one which is also set up with QoS with a high priority setting on port 1.

Thanks for any assistance with this.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit

I'm not a fan of this company, but in fairness I will ask: What did tech support have you doing to try to fix it, and what has been their reaction to all this?

You mention several times a Voip modem. Do you mean the analog telephone adapter (ATA) from PhonePower? Which ATA do you have? You told us which router you have, but not which ATA.

What type of internet service do you have (Cable/DSL/Wireless)?

Have you tried plugging the ATA directly into your Cable/DSL modem to see if the service works? Have you tried plugging the ATA into a friend's Cable/DSL modem and also tried plugging it into a friend's router (that is, at THEIR house)?

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to koolzero

Yeah, dude do what PX said, try it a friends house. tell us how it works, and what kind of ISP and ATA(voip modem[its ok my mom says modem all the time, when she should say ATA]) and we will try to help.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to koolzero

said by koolzero:

... now however I pick up and get a dial tone but then dial out and it never rings and just goes silent.
We've been using PP all day with no problems today (or in the past). Setup: Cablemodem --> LinkSys WRT54G Router --> PP-supplied adapter --> Uniden 2-line Base Station analog phone.

koolzero

join:2002-09-13
Overland Park, KS
reply to PX Eliezer7

I'm using the phone adapter that Phone Power provided, I believe it's grandstream. I have Road Runner. I have tried it plugged directly into the modem and the same issues with calls suddenly ending or not having a dial tone at all. I am going to try hooking it up again because it's been awhile since I tried it that way.

PhonePower
Premium
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA
kudos:1
reply to koolzero

Have you contacted our support department?

I suggest plugging the phone power device directly into a wall outlet if it is not. I am also having support try to contact you.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8

Out of curiosity- why directly to a wall outlet? (not disputing the need - just wondering why)

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

2 edits

I heard that somewhere before that plugging the ata in wall outlet helps with some odd problems. Will have to search for the original threads.

Hey PhonePower See Profile dude who are you? How about an introduction if you are an official representative.

Edit: Here is the original thread about plugging directly into wall outlet. »[General] Plug Granstream Directly Into Wall and »Heads Up Seems it was related to PP also

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

No problems with phone power

said by dcurrey:

Hey PhonePower See Profile dude who are you? How about an introduction if you are an official representative.
Yep! I suspect that PhonePower is either Ari or Jim, the co-founders of PP who also originated and then sold DSLExtreme (a Southern California ISP) a few years back. They both have impeccable reputations ... hence, lending a great deal of credibility to their PP operation.

My PP service continues to function flawlessly.

PhonePower
Premium
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA
kudos:1

2 edits

1 recommendation

I am Ari, the co-founder of Phone Power. Phone Power is our third successful telecom venture. DSL Extreme was the largest privately held broadband ISP in the US and was highly rated when under our direct control.

I don't have an electrical engineering degree and don't really know why plugging the box directly into the wall makes a difference. But it definitely does. I suspect some power strips cause some kind of interference.

said by N9MD:

said by dcurrey:

Yep! I suspect that PhonePower is either Ari or Jim, the co-founders of PP who also originated and then sold DSLExtreme (a Southern California ISP) a few years back. They both have impeccable reputations ... hence, lending a great deal of credibility to their PP operation.

My PP service continues to function flawlessly.