join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

1 edit

alphapointe

MVM

SWL Help

9715_1.wav
2,061,004 bytes
I decided to start exploring the shortwave broadcast bands again. Does anyone have any suggestions for figuring out what I'm listening to when the broadcast is in a foreign language? (ex. a web page where I can put in the frequency and it will give me a list of what it could be?) Google isn't being much help.

The ones in English are no problem, as if I listen long enough they will ID themselves, but I logged and recorded a station a little bit ago that sounded like it was in Spanish, but the signal strength was pretty bad with lots of fading, so I couldn't tell. (That, and I failed Spanish twice in high school...)

EDIT: Attached is the WAV file of the station on 9715khz that I recorded. I need to adjust the audio levels a bit, but this DXtreme logging software is pretty cool.

radiofreq
join:2006-08-03
O Fallon, MO

radiofreq

Try these:

»www.hfradio.org/swbc/

»www.ac6v.com/swl.htm#GSWL

»www.klingenfuss.org/swfguide.htm

»shortwave.hfradio.org/

That should get you going with all the resources on those pages. A couple of them even have a place where you enter the frequency to tell you who it is.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

Much obliged. I can't transmit HF out of here (too many neighbors with crappy equipment = RFI nightmare), but I really enjoy listening.

I've been DXing the AM broadcast band through 30MHz, and racked up quite a few stations in the past week. I can't wait until the sunspot cycle gets better as the year goes on.