spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sumanji

@ntl.com

USB Wireless can't connect with AES (but works with TKIP)

Hey,

I'm using a 3Com 3CRUSBN175 USB wireless-N adapter to connect to a 3Com 3CRWDR300A router with WPA2 enabled. The PC with the USB adapter and a laptop with an Intel 4965AGN can both see and connect to the network when TKIP encryption is used.

However, when I turn on AES, the USB adapter is not even able to see the network! It is fully certified for 128-bit AES according to the website. I am using the latest drivers/firmware for all kit involved.

Any ideas please?!

Cheers,

Suman

rjs1003

join:2002-12-04
united kingd

Sorry for not replying sooner - I am using the same wireless-N USB adapter at home... I'm fairly sure it works fine with AES but I keep forgetting to check the settings when I'm there! I'm using a 3CRWER300-73 router... I think mine's the ethernet version and yours the ADSL one. I'll try to get back to you with the firmware versions I'm using etc... but anyway, mine is definitely working.

Bob

Sumanji

@zen.co.uk
reply to Sumanji

SOLVED!

Realised that the adapter was plugged into a USB1.1 port (old Asus A7V333), so plugged it into a USB 2.0 - now works perfectly, at up to 270Mbps. Very random, but wooooo!!

Cheers

Suman

rjs1003

join:2002-12-04
united kingd

Excellent to hear... though I often run mine plugged into a USB 1(.1?) port on an old Dell latitude which is... well, slow, but it does work. Maybe there is some critical speed somewhere which your older PC just can't quite manage. There was a minimum spec PC given for the dongle, but I think mine is well underneath that (it's a P3, and it's less than 500 MHz).

Bob