Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

1 edit

Law on carrying more than $10,000 in cash WITHIN the US?

I know that if you are entering or leaving the country with more than $10k in cash you need to declare it, however there seems to be confusion about carrying that amount (or more) within the country. Can anyone provide a link to a government website or legal statute that clarifies this?

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA
kudos:1
I can understand why one has to declare it leaving or coming in of US.

I don't think one has to declare it within US, if so, how and to who and whats the purpose? Especially in today's economy, a lot of folks will prefer cash and 10K is not exactly an alarming amount of money anymore.
--
I used to be indecisive, now I am not sure.

wifi4milez

New York, NY
I dont mean having it in your home, I am specifically talking about walking around with it or having it in your car.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:2
You may be confused by the law that says that a bank must report cash deposits of $10K or more.

If you have that much cash on you and get stopped for some offense, the cops may assume you are carrying drug money.

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to wifi4milez
I dont know about just driving around with that much money but when depositing that much, the bank has to fill out I think a Cash Transaction Report. This is then sent to the IRS if I remember correctly.

Now if you get pulled over and the officer finds that much money, you know for sure he will be suspicious as hell. The part that sucks is, they will probably bring in a drug dog to sniff it and if the dog hits on it, they can then take a civil forfiture action and take it. Now the crappy part is, I think it was a FBI study stated that 80% of the money in circulation has traces of drugs on it that a dog would hit on. I disagree with the whole civil forfiture thing, there is no due process in before they take your stuff.

wifi4milez

New York, NY
reply to McSummation
said by McSummation:

You may be confused by the law that says that a bank must report cash deposits of $10K or more.
I am aware of the law about depositing the cash, I am just curious about carrying the money.
--
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
-Ronald Reagan-

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by wifi4milez:

said by McSummation:

I am aware of the law about depositing the cash, I am just curious about carrying the money.
Nope, no law but let us know where you will be doing this. So, we can protect you. Yeah, that's it protect you.
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

wifi4milez

New York, NY
reply to dispatcher21
said by dispatcher21:

Now if you get pulled over and the officer finds that much money, you know for sure he will be suspicious as hell.
I have actually heard they can confiscate the funds on suspicion, and that you need to see a judge to get the money back. I cant find any legal documentation to support OR refute this, so I figured I would ask here.
--
-Ronald Reagan-

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
reply to wifi4milez
said by wifi4milez:

Can anyone provide a link to a government website or legal statute that clarifies this?
I doubt you will find a gov't website that says you can carry more than $10,000 in cash inside the US as it is not illegal. I drive a $40,000 vehicle and the police are never suspicious of me.

dispatcher21 See Profile is correct about depositing or purchasing anything with that much cash. Even if you deposit $9,000 per week, a bank clerk can surreptitiously fill out an IRS report on you. My sister works at a credit union and she does this fairly often.
--
OBAMA, THE NEW "RAILSPLITTER"?

OBAMA, CHANGE?

STOP OBAMA

wifi4milez

New York, NY
reply to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

said by wifi4milez:

said by McSummation:

Nope, no law but let us know where you will be doing this. So, we can protect you. Yeah, that's it protect you.
Haha, I have no plans on doing this anytime soon! I am just curious what the law says about it. I cant really imagine why I would ever need to carry that much cash around; I would use a bank check or do a wire transfer instead.
--
-Ronald Reagan-

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

4 edits
reply to wifi4milez
I'll start off by saying many individuals in this country carry large amounts of cash from time to time. Going to purchase a used piece of heavy equipment, a used RV or even a plain old used but newer model vehicle..another example is those who gamble for a living or are just high rollers, say playing the ponies. These individuals will exit horse tracks around the country on any given day well in excess of $10k cash on their person.

But be aware that cash can be seized by law enforcement and it is up to you to prove that the cash did not come from illegal activity..But with that said, many times cash is seized when there was no illegal activity taking place, or even planned, and individuals had to go to court to try and get their OWN money back..Sad, but true.

Here for example:

»nestmannblog.sovereignsociety.co···_ca.html

wifi4milez

New York, NY
said by sailor:

But be aware that cash can be seized by law enforcement and it is up to you to prove that the cash did not come from illegal activity..But with that said, many times cash is seized when there was no illegal activity taking place, or even planned, and individuals had to go to court to try and get their OWN money back..Sad, but true.

Here for example:

»nestmannblog.sovereignsociety.co···_ca.html
I have heard that too, however I am searching for a document (legal or government issued) that clarifies (or refutes) the claims made on the website you linked to. I did a fairly thorough search and I found countless government websites referencing declaring cash (above $10k) upon entering or leaving the country, but no mention about carrying within the borders.
--
-Ronald Reagan-

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state

1 edit
And you have to remember that the fortiture is not a criminal matter, they consider it a civil issue so that is their argument for bypassing due process.

That Cato institute link is a good read.

Mickeyme3
You might be right, but, I don't care
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Carson City, NV

1 edit
reply to wifi4milez
There should be no problem carrying that kind of cash in the U.S. as long as you can prove you got it legally.
If a cop was to stop you and you have that much cash they would want to know why you are carrying that much and where you got it.
Drug dealer would most likely run through their mind.
But, it is legal to carry, if you dare!

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro
reply to wifi4milez
said by wifi4milez:

I dont mean having it in your home, I am specifically talking about walking around with it or having it in your car.
Please tell me you are joking... Since when would an American even fathom the possibility of carrying a large sum of cash as an illegal act?
--
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
Since US gradually moves in direction of total control...

wifi4milez

New York, NY
reply to Tzale
said by Tzale:

said by wifi4milez:

Please tell me you are joking... Since when would an American even fathom the possibility of carrying a large sum of cash as an illegal act?
As you can see by some of the other replies, I am not the only person who has heard this. I cant confirm or deny it, and I am very curious what the law actually says here. Someone else mentioned it to me the other day and I just wanted to know if he was right or not.
--
-Ronald Reagan-

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro
said by wifi4milez:

said by Tzale:

said by wifi4milez:

As you can see by some of the other replies, I am not the only person who has heard this. I cant confirm or deny it, and I am very curious what the law actually says here. Someone else mentioned it to me the other day and I just wanted to know if he was right or not.
It is really quite simple. We have this thing called the U.S. Constitution. If you're not doing anything wrong, then you shouldn't EVER feel like you can get in trouble. This isn't the USSR.

-Tzale
--
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Mickeyme3
Premium
Carson City, NV

1 edit
reply to wifi4milez
I have $10,000 cash in my home safe!
I would never go outside with it just to carry it.
The bank did question me why I wanted that much cash, but, thats all they did. I had to wait 3 days to get it as the bank rarely carries an extra $10,000 in their safes.

wifi4milez

New York, NY
reply to Tzale
said by Tzale:

It is really quite simple. We have this thing called the U.S. Constitution. If you're not doing anything wrong, then you shouldn't EVER feel like you can get in trouble. This isn't the USSR.

-Tzale
Take it easy man, I am just asking a question. Certain things like the RICO statutes and the Patriot Act give specific powers to the police under certain circumstances. I simply wanted to know if the ability to temporarily confiscate large sums of (undocumented) cash was one of them. I never felt scared to do anything, I think you are reading too much into my question.
--
-Ronald Reagan-

Mickeyme3
Premium
Carson City, NV
" (undocumented) cash "
Will get you a headache like you never had before.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Mickeyme3
said by Mickeyme3:

If a cop was to stop you and you have that much cash they would want to know why you are carrying that much and where you got it. Drug dealer would most likely run through their mind. But, it is legal to carry, if you dare!
Exactly. You can carry as much as you want, or can, but if you were to be stopped by cops for any reason, they will probably want a reasonable and believable explanation.

Personally, I don't see any reason to carry large amount cash unless I'm planning on making a large cash only purchase, such one on an auction.

--
And the winner is:

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to wifi4milez
said by wifi4milez:

... I am very curious what the law actually says here. ...
Try reading the links I already posted. The first is the US Treasury with further links to various US Code... for eg 18USC981 at »www.treas.gov/offices/enforcemen···c981.pdf

It's up to you to connect the dots between what's allowed by law and what greedy police are willing to do to get their hands on the loot.

Some random articles:
»www.npr.org/templates/story/stor···91490480
There is a law enforcement culture — particularly in the South — in which police agencies have grown, in the words of one state senator from South Texas, "addicted to drug money."
»www.nber.org/digest/oct04/w10484.html
For some localities, forfeitures have become a major revenue source for local police and prosecutors. Thus, law enforcement agencies may be motivated not only by the desire to deter crime, but also by the added incentive of potential proceeds from anti-crime policing
Forfeiture is a big part of the war on drugs, obviously... but it exists in other areas of enforcement too.
--
My Site

wifi4milez

New York, NY
said by pog4:

said by wifi4milez:

... I am very curious what the law actually says here. ...
Try reading the links I already posted.
I did read your links, however the Treasury one doesnt actually state anything about the specific amount of money, nor does it say under what circumstances they can seize those funds under. The other two are interesting however, although they arent 'official' legal documents.

Your raise an interesting point, in that individual police agencies might interpret the law differently.
--
-Ronald Reagan-

sailor
Premium
Long Island

1 recommendation

Have you read the Patriot Act? Might be stuck in there and don't worry if you've never read it before. Our elected officials in Washington, D.C. never read it either but yet signed off on it....like they did with the stimulus-bail-out bill.

wifi4milez

New York, NY
said by sailor:

Have you read the Patriot Act? Might be stuck in there and don't worry if you've never read it before. Our elected officials in Washington, D.C. never read it either but yet signed off on it....like they did with the stimulus-bail-out bill.
I had never read it before posting this thread, however I can confirm it does not directly reference this issue (I did search through it). It does clarify (a few times actually) that you need to declare the money when entering or leaving the country (which we already knew).
--
-Ronald Reagan-

sailor
Premium
Long Island
Well you sure have done your research before making your thread.

Did you see this?

»www.oig.lsc.gov/legis/pl106185.pdf

wifi4milez

New York, NY
said by sailor:

Well you sure have done your research before making your thread.

Did you see this?

»www.oig.lsc.gov/legis/pl106185.pdf
That document makes no mention about the legality of having more than $10,000 cash on you.
--
-Ronald Reagan-

Mickeyme3
Premium
Carson City, NV

1 edit
reply to wifi4milez
A reason they can hold it is called, Conspiracy, it covers everything under the sun.