join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits

kamm to probboy

to probboy

Re: Not apples here.

said by probboy:
said by kamm:

Of course, these numbers are complete BS again: sticking with the most expensive of all (your example, FIOS) the numbers show it only costs $1,200 per subscriber - considering the AVERAGE 1000-1500% BANDWIDTH MARKUP that's rather a 2-year return, I bet.
You do realize that the $1,200/sub number is from their current deployments, right? FiOS has been primarily deployed to suburban and urban locations--those numbers increase greatly when you start talking about rural areas.
It's across the board: 23B didived by 19M subs, without NYC - in other words rural deployments are easily covered by large metropolitan areas.

And yes, this is the answer to rural deployments - not slow-@ss little ISPs with jacked-up price as they try to recover their costs over 10 years.
WISPs' only shot to keep FTTH-based big guys honest - that's important, of course, no question about it (WISP's cost is well below $100 per sub, hehe.).
probboy
join:2008-01-10
Natick, MA

probboy

OK, using publicly available information, with a citation, please tell me one rural area where Verizon sells FiOS. By rural, I mean a place where we are talking single digit numbers of houses per mile of road (I'm using the east coast definition of rural--I'm sure some of our friends out west would think that's downright urban )--places that ever cable doesn't service because it isn't economically feasible.

I'll wait...

...give up? That's because they haven't deployed FiOS anywhere remotely considered rural--and they never will (witness the sale of Verizon's VT/NH/ME business to FairPoint).

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm

said by probboy:

OK, using publicly available information, with a citation, please tell me one rural area where Verizon sells FiOS. By rural, I mean a place where we are talking single digit numbers of houses per mile of road (I'm using the east coast definition of rural--I'm sure some of our friends out west would think that's downright urban )--places that ever cable doesn't service because it isn't economically feasible.

I'll wait...

...give up? That's because they haven't deployed FiOS anywhere remotely considered rural--and they never will (witness the sale of Verizon's VT/NH/ME business to FairPoint).
I don't really see what are you challenging... did you understand my point actually?
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to probboy

to probboy
Apple Valley, CA
Beaumont, CA
Hemet, CA

Not rural by your definition, but they are considered small and a bit out of the way...