uniqs
share rss forum feed

awaisuk99

@rogers.com

I need my Rogers IP changed.

I need my Rogers IP changed.

I have Rogers Extreme.

My current ip is somewhat like this: 22.22.22.22

I want to completely change my IP address permanently, so its like this: 33.33.33.33

So its on a completely different range.

How can i do this?

Do i need to contact Support or something?

Please help.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
You can't.

You can change your IP, but there's absolutely no guarantee that you'll get it in a different IP block that's assigned to Rogers.

IPs are assigned by the organisation called ARIN to companies like Rogers in blocks. Rogers has some fixed IP addresses that they use for their own routers etc, and others are assigned from blocks to their users on a dynamic basis through a server system called DHCP.

The DHCP server assigns you an IP address referenced to the hardware ethernet address (aka the MAC address - Media Access Control address) of your modem and the hardware ethernet address (MAC) of the system(s) connecting to the modem. This is how they limit you to the number of IP addresses you've signed up for.

The DHCP server normally allocates the next free IP address from its pool. BUT it also retains a record of the last IP address you were assigned until it has been reassigned elsewhere.

Changing your MAC address may provide the key to getting a different IP address. Now, you may be able to change your MAC address (which you have to do with care because you could duplicate somebody else's MAC address) with either your computer NIC or if you have a router, with the Router ... which is usually the easier because not all NICs allow you to change MAC since they're meant to be quasi unique. I've sometimes been able to get a different IP, sometimes not.

The other way to get a different MAC address is to turn off your system and modem for sufficient time for your IP address to be disassociated with your modem and system MACs. There's still no guarantee that you'll get a different one.

IP blocks are typically assigned to physical areas, so the chances of getting a different IP in a different block are rather slim.

For example, say your IP was 192.168.0.54, and you were allocated a new one, chances are high that it would still be for example in the range 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.15.255 It is most unlikely for example to be assigned to a different block like 10.9.8.7

The usual reason for people requesting new IP blocks is that they've done something that's pissed off a netadmin, and the netadmin's put up an IP ban based on blocks. That tends to spoil things for other users. The most common one is spamming ... but the good thing is that Rogers has set up a port 25 bar to prevent Rogers users running servers and spamming!

anon3313

@rogers.com
Hmm. well i have had my 'dynamic' ip for literally months until just last week i went from an infamous: 99.239.23x.xxx range all the way over to a 173.35.11x.xxx range. Now thats a jump. also seemed to coincide with some weird browsing where some addresses resolved, but others didnt. for example, worked for google.com but did NOT for msn.com. it seems to have worked itself out now and all sites seem to work that i have tried. An ip change isnt always smooth!

vassosman

join:2008-02-28
Newmarket, ON
reply to awaisuk99
i have gotten my ip changed. all you have to do is "somehow" change the mac address on your router. i am not going to tell you how. please dont bug me.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to anon3313
What's happened is you've been assigned into a new IP block that was previously unassigned or assigned to some other organisation. The problem is that such blocks are referred to as Bogons ... and a lot of network admins drop packets that come from or are destined to bogons until they have satisfied themselves that these IP blocks are legit.

Rogers have had lots of fun getting new IP blocks accepted as no longer being bogons. Some routings can take forever to get fixed ... for example when Rogers first acquired that 99.* series, it was hell for several months.

awaisuk99

@rogers.com
reply to awaisuk99
Well i need it gone to another range....

Can i contact them and tell them that someone posted my IP address on the internet and i have a risk of getting hacked, etc...something like that?

Can they change it then?

I am currently on the 99.x.x.x range, and i want to move from 99 to anything else.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
nope, they won't change it for you because it's all automatic.

about 5 years ago they'd flush the cache, but haven't seen it lately

newspeeds

@rogers.com
reply to awaisuk99
Change the MAC of your router.

You can do it in Tomato or DD-WRT.

Sunfox

join:2003-12-14
Markham, ON
reply to awaisuk99
Easiest way: sign up for Bell.

(Has someone been naughty?)

awaisuk99

@rogers.com
How easy is it to change IPs on BELL internet?

Can you go from 1 range to another easily?

Like if i want to go from 22.22.22.xx to 33.22.22.xx is that possible on Bell easily?

Sunfox

Markham, ON
What I mean is, if you change to Bell you're guaranteed a different IP than you have now.

Otherwise, you honestly just have to live with what you get. You can force a new "unique" IP by changing your MAC address, but you're very unlikely to end up in a completely different block. I know some time ago when I first got switched to a 99.* I tried, and couldn't. Just more and more 99.* IPs.

awaisuk99

@rogers.com
Maybe i should email Rogers and ask them to do it, lets see what they say?

newspeeds

@rogers.com
reply to awaisuk99
Change your MAC address whats so hard about that? You'll get a new IP.

You can do this easily in alot of firmwares and there is apps for NIC cards. Tomato and DD-WRT make this really easy.

mr_

join:2007-02-23
Oakville, ON
reply to awaisuk99
Change your MAC, not that hard bro.

kliles

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to awaisuk99
You haven't explained *why* you need your IP address changed. Perhaps you have visited a site on the internet that (OMG!) showed you your IP address? Of course, your IP address is known - that is the only way you can receive anything from internet sites!

SBrook alluded to one of the few reasons to even think about requesting a change: the assigned IP address doesn't work (due to external routing problems). Other than that excuse, which you would have to get Rogers agreement, you are stuck where you are.

Changing your MAC address (which might be something you are or are not able to easily do) likely will result in changing you IP address within the same block (no guarantees one way or another), eg: you might go from 99.a.b.X to 99.a.b.Y but you might well be still in the same class A block (99.x.x.x)

awaisuk99

@rogers.com
Well i just need it changed for something. And its not like i need to keep changing all the time, i just want to change for once and then thats it.

I really like Rogers internet, but changing this IP is a must for me, i want to go to a different range.

If they cant change it for me, can i CANCEL and then Reactivate my service? Will that change it for me?

I need this IP changed, thats the bottom line.

I Really dont want to go to BELL, but if there is no other choice, then i will go to Bell.

Need help guys.

kliles

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
All I can say is call Rogers tech support and plead your case... My prediction is that you will get nowhere.

That leaves going to Bell or some other service provider.

anon3313

@rogers.com
reply to awaisuk99
Changing providers just to get an IP change??? You are willing to go through all that?? Wow, you must have really done something good....

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to awaisuk99
1. You're not going to get into another IP block. Give it up.

2. Change your MAC address, refresh and renew; that will give you a new IP. Problem solved.

3. Who cares if your IP address is published? You leave that information behind every time you visit a website.

4. If you're worried about security, buy a router. Problem solved.

5. If you did something illegal, changing your IP won't help. It's already logged and waiting for the subpoena.

awaisuk99

@rogers.com
I have done nothing illegal, and i can care less if my IP gets posted on the net. I just told you guys this because i was going to tell those Rogers guys that this happened to me and i need my IP changed.

I tried MAC CHANGE, it just changes the last 2 digits of your IP and not your range.

This IP change is a must for something i do online, and its worth changing ISP, even tho i dont want to.

What if i leave my Modem off for like 10hours? Is there a chance of me getting a new IP?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
Look, the IP address comes out of a pool ... and that pool is going to be in the same block. It's pot luck though whether you get a new IP in a different block or one in the same block, and given the way that IPs are assigned, chances are much higher you'll get one in the same block. Chances are better to get a different block getting a new IP in the middle of the night ... but it's still not very good!

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to awaisuk99
said by awaisuk99 :

This IP change is a must for something i do online, and its worth changing ISP, even tho i dont want to.
Ah, an IP ban.

Use an anonymizing proxy, then.

Sunfox

Markham, ON
Yeah, a proxy is probably your best bet for something like that. You can get a pay one (which should give good performance) or spend some time locating a free one every time you need to access "whatever" (they go down a lot).

You can also wait it out and hope that EVENTUALLY Rogers starts up a new block in your area. Although I've been on 99.* for an awefully long time now.

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to awaisuk99
said by awaisuk99 :

I have done nothing illegal, and i can care less if my IP gets posted on the net. I just told you guys this because i was going to tell those Rogers guys that this happened to me and i need my IP changed.

I tried MAC CHANGE, it just changes the last 2 digits of your IP and not your range.

What if i leave my Modem off for like 10hours? Is there a chance of me getting a new IP?
how much is it worth to you to get a new ip and still keep rogers ?
for $40/month you can add a second ISP

I have a RV082 dual wan router with two ISP's one cable and one DSL if I need a 99. ip I use WAN 1 and if I need a 206. ip I use WAN 2. I'm able to do bandwidth management, DNS management, DHCP management, Port management, Protocol managmenet ect...
simple as pie.

rt3

join:2004-06-23
reply to awaisuk99
While on vacation for 2 weeks my modem was unplugged, on return it still had the same ip, doubt leaving it off for 10 hours will do anything.

cpsycho

join:2008-06-03
HarperLand
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to awaisuk99
If you did something to piss off an admin then thats your fault.

If its something like one of my clients users are having a hard time connecting to a website. Which one of them is.

The only thing I could suggest to them is going through a proxy. Their DNS servers are causing havoc in my opinion. My client let me look through the IP logs and protected ranges. To find this persons IP and it was not listed anywhere. I think it was a 173 block. I think its being blocked by the web host provider.

The 99 block of IP's was on a global bad list a while back not every ever site has updated for this purchase by rogers.

RogersTech

@rogers.com
reply to awaisuk99
I hear if you leave it unplugged for 30 days you might get a ip in a new block

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
said by RogersTech :

I hear if you leave it unplugged for 30 days you might get a ip in a new block
Right...
--
It's all... part of the plan.

Commodus

join:2002-08-28
Ottawa, ON
reply to awaisuk99
I love how the OP says he "needs" his IP address changed, but won't say what for.

That pretty much means he got banned from a forum or IRC channel and, rather than question whether his behaviour was appropriate or (if he really is innocent) considering whether that the community he was in is really a good fit, he's trying to just evade the ban.

When I did tech support for a cable ISP (not Rogers, but same basic infrastructure), 99% of requests from people on residential accounts to make the IP address change were just teens and early twentysomethings who frosted someone off and got banned from a server, but didn't want to accept the consequences of their actions.

The remaining 1% were people who knew just enough about IP addresses to know their IP was subject to a DDoS but nothing at all about how dynamic IP address blocks work.

grayfox

join:2007-12-10
Whitby, ON
reply to awaisuk99
Somebody got banned, since you said its gaming im guessing your favourite server banned you from hacking.

Your not getting a new ip block, If you want a new ip block get a new isp or use a socks proxy somewhere else. (However if its udp,gaming you can't)