spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

c51773

@dluxlink.com

which modem to buy?

I'm getting ready to switch from my wireless broadband provider to Centurytel. I currently have a Buffalo wireless router that services a couple of LAN connections, along with wireless laptops.

When I switch to Centurytel I want to continue to use my Buffalo router, so I'm looking for help on the best modem to buy that will work with it? I can only get the 1.5mbps plan where I live, but they told me they would be upgrading my area in about 6th months. Probably just sales talk to get my business, but I want to be prepared for higher speeds if and when they do upgrade. So...

Westell, Netopia, D-Link, whatever. Something that will work with up to 6 mbps. (I doubt it will ever get higher than that out here.) Not a router modem, just the modem. What has been your experience and what do you recommend?

BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 edit
A Netopia 3341 is the one that have worked the best for me but a Westell 6100 is also good.Have both of those as spares and currently i'm using the Westell 327W that works better than any modem/router combo i have used.Also like to point out 1 box is better than 2.A little sidenote: Don't pay more than 5 bucks for either one of the 3341 or 6100 since these are pretty much obsolete "boat anchors" check ebay

c51773

@dluxlink.com
Thanks for the info. As for the 327W, I've noticed them listed as Verizon, AT&T, Bellsouth, etc. Are there configuration differences for each company, or will any old 327W work with CenturyTel?

Icon
Time Keeper
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2004-01-07
Little Rock, AR
kudos:3
There can be differences in 327's from different ISP's. But most of them should still be able to be configured to any other DSL provider's network.

rayge99

join:2004-06-16
Pagosa Springs, CO

1 edit
reply to c51773
Well i got a Westell 327w off eBay. the screens had bellsouth on it. I got it to connect but the DL was HALF the speed of the netopia one ive had forever. and the upload speed was 32k. LOL that was just beyond wrong. i don't see how i can change the firmware to make it any better either.

BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI
Don't think firmware have anything to do with your problem.Check maybe VPI & VCI settings

rayge99

join:2004-06-16
Pagosa Springs, CO
VPI & VCI were setup correctly. I checked it when i got it running. Its gotta be something that i cant configure or that im missing.

stedly

join:2008-03-12
reply to c51773
What is the full model number on that 327W? Do you think its possible that the one you bought off Ebay isn't ADSL2+?

stedly

join:2008-03-12
reply to c51773
said by c51773 :

I'm getting ready to switch from my wireless broadband provider to Centurytel. I currently have a Buffalo wireless router that services a couple of LAN connections, along with wireless laptops.

When I switch to Centurytel I want to continue to use my Buffalo router, so I'm looking for help on the best modem to buy that will work with it? I can only get the 1.5mbps plan where I live, but they told me they would be upgrading my area in about 6th months. Probably just sales talk to get my business, but I want to be prepared for higher speeds if and when they do upgrade. So...

Westell, Netopia, D-Link, whatever. Something that will work with up to 6 mbps. (I doubt it will ever get higher than that out here.) Not a router modem, just the modem. What has been your experience and what do you recommend?
I know you can buy a Zoom ADSL2+ modem at some local retailers, the newers ones actually auto configure the VPI/VCI settings for you, so theres no effort in getting it up and going, and I think if you have a Device connected to it with PPPoE set, it will bridge the modem for you automatically, if the zoom was just out of the box.

Icon
Time Keeper
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2004-01-07
Little Rock, AR
kudos:3
reply to c51773
If the speed you're paying for is only 6 meg, then it doesn't matter if the modem is ADSL2/2+ capable, as standard rate ADSL modems are rated up to 8 meg.

Can you post the line stats from the Westell, as well as from the Netopia for comparison?

m1fixer

@centurytel.com
reply to c51773
the westell 327 is cheap leasing from centurytel. And if you have any problems just get it swapped out. Buying is not the way I went. The 6100 and 327 are both fully supported by the 24/7 tech support so why would you go with anything else. Either one only take a couple mins to setup, so if you value your time like I do, just lease it..laxcc

burritoboy9984

@centurytel.net
reply to c51773
I went and bought a dlink 2320b and since... I have VERY few disconnects (1 per day, same time... CT says nothing is wrong)... I used to get disconnected every 5-10 minutes with the westell...

-Erik