This is a sub-selection from Not much improvement over docsis 2.0

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to anony501

to anony501

Re: Not much improvement over docsis 2.0

My comment was tongue in cheek.

On a serious note, a lot of people are telecommuting these days and they need the upload to upload large files quickly.

They probably should be using a business account but I doubt that a telecommuter would be able to afford an OC connection to their home.

Cable commercial accounts are out because they use DOCSIS.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by fifty nine:

On a serious note, a lot of people are telecommuting these days and they need the upload to upload large files quickly.

They probably should be using a business account but I doubt that a telecommuter would be able to afford an OC connection to their home.
You don't need an "OC" connection to have a fast connection, but yeah, it's not necessarily going to fit under the definition of a residential connection.

Even with telecommuting, the necessity to be uploading large files frequency can be minimized with some planning. And if you are constantly needing to transfer large files, maybe telecommuting isn't the best fit for the job.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by cdru:

Even with telecommuting, the necessity to be uploading large files frequency can be minimized with some planning. And if you are constantly needing to transfer large files, maybe telecommuting isn't the best fit for the job.
Try working in video or audio production.

There are people doing that from home and who need all the upload they can get.

In any case the problem is not a broadband class warfare between "residential" and "business" connections because business connections are often based on the same limited DOCSIS and ADSL standards.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Then those people (relitively few of the general population) may need a faster "business grade" ($$$) connection.
for the purpose of residental broadband DOCSIS (and in some cases ADSL2) are just fine and will be for years to come.

pspcrazy
Anime Freak
join:2008-02-06
San Diego, CA

pspcrazy

What a smart idea! Unfortunately you have conviently seemed to have forgot that they dont offer a faster "business grade" connection, business connections simply just have a better SLA, the speeds are the same for 2x the cost, stupid imo.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

I didn't say it would be from ComCast. Those users may need to pay for a dedicated line from their telco or other provider.
Then they'll see the true cost of a real High speed business connection.
ComCast business is starting to offer higher speed commerial lines to traditional core business areas, but it may be a while before they offer that in all residental areas.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to fifty nine

to fifty nine
I would be willing to be the company they work for wouldnt be providing them that bandwidth to benefit anyway so your argument is moot.

I work for a multibillion dollar worldwide company and we do not even provide this kind of bandwidth to our remote users. I don't see it being very wide spread amongst much smaller companies with a remote work force not even close to ours.
« wow
This is a sub-selection from Not much improvement over docsis 2.0