MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to Chris 313

MVM

to Chris 313

Re: Not much improvement over docsis 2.0

said by Chris 313:

Yes, I agree with that. What happens when you have a backup that's a little over 100GB. THAT would be truely painful, wouldn't it?
EXACTLY!
What if you had two computers...

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by dadkins:

said by Chris 313:

Yes, I agree with that. What happens when you have a backup that's a little over 100GB. THAT would be truely painful, wouldn't it?
EXACTLY!
Over 200GB! No thanks! Makes me glad I have an external here to do more frequent backups vs what I'd do online with 200GB worth of stuff to back up.

I'd do twice a month on my external if I had that much, while online, I'd do it once maybe every 2-3 months.

Also, you have to be aware of Comcast's combo 250GB cap when doing something that large.

Yeesh!

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

2 recommendations

pokesph

Premium Member

said by Chris 313:

said by dadkins:

said by Chris 313:

EXACTLY!
Over 200GB! No thanks! Makes me glad I have an external here to do more frequent backups vs what I'd do online with 200GB worth of stuff to back up.

I'd do twice a month on my external if I had that much, while online, I'd do it once maybe every 2-3 months.

Also, you have to be aware of Comcast's combo 250GB cap when doing something that large.

Yeesh!
Heh..

We have file server with 1.8TB data, 3 computers all approaching 800GB on their drives, plus a few external's all needing to be backed up.
Off-site back ups with a typical residential cable/dsl connection is all but impossible, not enough upload as well as silly caps.

as others have said, upload is becoming increasingly needed just to do routine things.. we ourselves do a lot of video and audio here and hate waiting hours to upload a simple 15 min HD vid clip.

Fanfoot
@cisco.com

Fanfoot

Anon

And if your house burns down? Or a burglar breaks in and makes off with your computer equipment?

Dude, you need offsite backup. Maybe it didn't matter when all people had on their computers were their old tax returns, but now that you're storing all your music, all your pictures, all your home movies, etc.

And the network needs to evolve as people figure this out.
« wow
This is a sub-selection from Not much improvement over docsis 2.0