Search similar:

uniqs
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to billaustin

to billaustin

Re: [Rant] Newegg egg saver + DHL / USPS = FAIL

yeah, I got over this already....just trying to put up a healthy discussion here...

I am more concerned now of the possible damage since it took 2 hands to handle my package and the first hand has a terrible reputation of handling things...

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

yeah, I got over this already....just trying to put up a healthy discussion here...

I am more concerned now of the possible damage since it took 2 hands to handle my package and the first hand has a terrible reputation of handling things...

DanHo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

DanHo to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

UPS, not the US Postal Service.

No, USPS. That is how newegg's saver shipping works. DHL picks up package and delivers it to USPS to deliver locally.

It has to be the shittiest way to deliver an item.

medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer

said by DanHo See Profile
No, USPS. That is how newegg's saver shipping works. DHL picks up package and delivers it to USPS to deliver locally.

It has to be the shittiest way to deliver an item.

I couldn't agree with you more!
NeoandGeo
join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN

NeoandGeo to Jahntassa

to Jahntassa
I always let out a cold chilled shudder when I see the words DHL on anything I order. :|
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

my shipment gets better...

so USPS had receipt of my package alreay at 5:30 pm CST in Memphis. you would exect that they would deliver it by tom. the 27th...but no, it will sit there for another 2-3 days as someone told me as it is considered very low priority mail or what they call parcel post....

which in my part of town often gets lost or damaged...

never ever do egg saver....

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

Having two couriers do the same sorting is what escalates cost and Newegg makes you think, they are giving it to you for free.
What you don't understand is that this is cheaper because it uses each entities strengths. DHL (in theory) has better sorting facilities but doesn't have many, if any couriers. USPS has a guy coming to your door every day but they really don't want to have to sort all those padded envelopes.

DHL takes the packages, runs them through their sorting system and throws them in big plastic bags already sorted by zip code and hands them off to the USPS for pennies per package. The USPS gets to fill in space that would otherwise be empty in transit and doesn't have to touch any of the individual packages until it's at a local post office. It costs the USPS almost nothing to deliver the package because their courier is already going to your house.

It saves money because it leverages the strengths of the individual companies (DHL's better handling of packages and USPS' massive workforce of couriers).

The problem, I suspect, is that the USPS isn't easy to work with. Much of the stuff that is automated in UPS, FedEx and DHL systems is done by hand during the hand off to the USPS.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Combat Chuck:

What you don't understand is that this is cheaper because it uses each entities strengths. DHL (in theory) has better sorting facilities but doesn't have many, if any couriers. USPS has a guy coming to your door every day but they really don't want to have to sort all those padded envelopes.
DHL does not have enough and or better sorting facilities, period. USPS on the other hand may have a lot of sorting facilities but that doesn't really equate to better sorting.

I would rather have USPS sort my package directly rather than DHL. When we had them as courier service, we either had a lot of damage and or lost items.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

3 edits

Cheese

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

said by Combat Chuck:

DHL does not have enough and or better sorting facilities, period. USPS on the other hand may have a lot of sorting facilities but that doesn't really equate to better sorting.

I would rather have USPS sort my package directly rather than DHL. When we had them as courier service, we either had a lot of damage and or lost items.
And you know what DHL has, how? You work for them? You own the company? If not, you have no idea what they do or do not have
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

2 edits

medbuyer

said by Cheese:

And you know what DHL has, how? You work for them? You own the company? If not, you have no idea what they do or do not have
yeah, reality check, I don't own DHL. but with the gazillions of salesman, not counting territory managers and all kinds of managers from them coming in and out of our door wooing our shipping business, I must have gotten some information from them.

I got information that you don't...
Expand your moderator at work
medbuyer

medbuyer

Re: [Rant] Newegg egg saver + DHL / USPS = FAIL

get over it cheese...

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

2 edits

Cheese to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
Sigh.....

I guess I better get over it, what exactly? Who knows, I can state with certainty, that I have never had this problem with DHL/USPS/Newegg, but I will get over it

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

1 recommendation

Combat Chuck to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

I got information that you don't...
That's funny because I have information that you don't and it's actually based on knowledge and not what you picked up from some salesman.

The USPS isn't set up to route large volumes of packages as well as any of the other 3 shipping companies, they're very good at dealing with envelopes. It costs the usps more man hours to get a box from one truck sorted and onto another truck. DHL's problem is/was that they make a lot of mistakes doing so and don't really put any extra effort into mitigating that mistake so it becomes a problem for the customer.

The bottom line is that this is a much much cheaper way to ship things that don't have to be get to a destination at a specific time. You may refuse to admit that is the case, but I guarantee you that if it wasn't the case the carriers wouldn't be offering the service. You are looking at your one package and thinking of how it would work if you yourself had to deliver that one package to one destination. USPS, DHL, UPS, and FedEx are looking at a couple million packages, going to a couple million different places, the two different situations don't even compare.

The key is leveraging volume and specialization.

I'm not saying that it's cheaper or that DHL is necessarily good at what they do, but just because they aren't good at it doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense.

I still hold that the problem lies with the USPS as you'll see similar complaints about FedEx's version of this service. It likely has to do with the USPS' bass ackward methods built for the 1950's.

cameronsfx
join:2009-01-08
Panama City, FL

cameronsfx to medbuyer

to medbuyer
DHL sucks big time. Talk of bankruptcy with them. UPS and Fedex are just kicking their rearends too much. Even the USPS is. If the Postal Service is more competent than DHL, uhh, DHL is in trouble.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

looks like Newegg listened...

free shipping is now UPS Guaranteed 3 day or so from what I see...

can anyone try placing an order??
chandom
join:2001-05-23
Tallahassee, FL

2 edits

chandom

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 26116111 still shows a 3-7 day "Egg Saver" with UPS 3 day being $5.99.

I think the formula for Newegg and "Egg Saver" is if it can fit in a padded mailer and is under 15 oz.
Otherwise it wouldn't qualify for USPS Standard Class presorted (How DHL Global Mail is sent once it hits the USPS system).

[rant]
Thing that bugs me the most about the "Egg Saver" is they delay shipping.

Ordered on 3/3 picked up 3/5.

Tracking History
Date Time Location Activity
3/10/2009 11:53 AM ET TALLAHASSEE, FL DELIVERED
3/7/2009 07:42 AM ET HOLLYWOOD, FL TENDERED TO USPS
3/7/2009 04:17 AM ET HOLLYWOOD, FL ARRIVAL DESTINATION DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
3/6/2009 04:04 AM PT CARSON, CA DEPARTURE ORIGIN DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
3/5/2009 07:46 PM PT CARSON, CA PROCESSED
3/5/2009 06:47 PM PT CARSON, CA ARRIVAL ORIGIN DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
3/5/2009 05:00 PM PT ROWLAND HEIGHTS, CA PICK UP

Another item was ordered 11/26 didn't ship until 11/30, got it 12/8.

My key things, I did understand that this was free shipping. Plus it did get to me with in the 3-7 business days quoted time frame.
[/rant]

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Fedex has a similar service with SmartPost. You'll see it used on Woot.com a lot.

They hand it off to FedEx, who hands it off to USPS. Usually takes about a week (plus or minus a day or two) to get from Texas to South Carolina.

Honestly as long as it's not getting lost, you're getting what you pay for.
chandom
join:2001-05-23
Tallahassee, FL

chandom

said by Jahntassa:

Honestly as long as it's not getting lost, you're getting what you pay for.
Agree 100%, I been lucky so far. No bad experiences on any thing sent via the FedEx to USPS or DHL to USPS. Only real issue I have had is the amount of time it takes.

I know the old saying. "You get what you pay for."

That is why I am a proud member of the Amazon Prime program. I love getting spoiled with 2 day shipping on just about all item sold via Amazon or a Prime shipping partner.