uniqs
share rss forum feed

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

Recycling a cordless phone

I want to recycle a broken phone. NOT a cell phone, but a handset and charging base from a multi-handset Panasonic cordless phone. Panasonic will recycle the battery, but that's all and everything else I can find, even on Google, seems to be for cell phones. What does one do with a broken handset and charging base?

mady
--
Honi soit qui mal y pense

B
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-28
Sneak it into the plastics recycle bin?

-- B
--
In a realm outside causality and function

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
said by B:

Sneak it into the plastics recycle bin?

-- B
No not good.... lots of other nasty stuff in there.

Why not just use something that IS encyclopeda
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit
reply to madylarian
Any local electronics recycling dropoff should work. Around here, the municipalities host these several times a year, and people can take old TVs, monitors, PCs, etc. They'll take cordless phones. Other areas have a dropoff point somewhere in the county. These are becoming easier to find with so many people getting rid of old picture-tube CRT TVs, because waste managers want to keep those out of landfills.

The battery is the big thing to worry about recycling vs. landfilling with a cordless phone. There are trace metals in the circuit board and switches but with the small size of the device it's not as dangerous as the battery. If only recycling the battery is the best you can do in your area, you've done a lot.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
reply to madylarian
Best Buy has a battery recycling bin at the entrance of every store.

Getting rid of the rest of the phone will be a bit more of a challenge.

PittsPgh
Premium
join:2003-08-21
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to madylarian
Did you clear ALL the phone numbers and other info from the phone before getting rid of the battery?

Go take a look at all the phones at the second hand stores!

Paul

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to madylarian
Check the phonebook or Google for e-waste recycling.

lew_b
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to madylarian

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD
reply to Gbcue
I actually did Google first thing. One of the interesting items I found was a blog complaining about the same thing. It's easy to recycle cell phones, but few places even mention cordless or even regular corded phones. Even the Best Buy Kiosks only mention cell phones. The only place that specifically said they would take regular phones charged $10 plus I would have to pay to ship the items.

mady
--
Honi soit qui mal y pense

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to lew_b
That was excellent information and from reading all of it came up with this as well.

»www.mygreenelectronics.org

DoC_DaR

join:2004-05-22
Middleburg, FL
reply to madylarian
Recycle, recycle, recycle. Even if it makes no sense, flies in the face of basic economics, and cost money.

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to madylarian
Check with your local county waste management authority.
Here in Dayton, I take old, useless and broken electronic parts to the recycling yard.
There they have boxes (LARGE BOXES) set up to take any and all electronics, including broken cordless phones.
Give that a try before giving up entirely.
--
DIRECTOR OF THE CRUNCHENSTEIN ASSOCIATION AND HOST OF CRUNCHENSTEIN #2