Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chlorophyl

join:2009-02-26
Lake Elmo, MN

2 edits

Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

I apologize if this is not the best forum for this, and I will not continue on with this item but wanted to start a posting this here so that others are aware of this issue.

Cable Modem manufacturers are utilizing practices that restrict your ability as a consumer to choose. ALL, I said ALL of the major manufacturers of DOCSIS 3 cable modems will only sell exclusively with multisystem system operators (MSO’s) aka your “cable company” and cut out consumers. So far I have found that NETGEAR, MOTOROLA, CISCO (Scientific-Atlanta) and SMC all have DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem equipment available, but are only selling exclusively to MSO’s. I know this because I’ve called all of them and asked them! Some of these companies have gotten angry and upset that I’ve asked them about this question.

These new modems have been out for some time (Cisco has had theirs out since at least March 2008) and you still cannot buy one. I’ve also called various MSO’s such as Comcast and Time Warner and they won’t sell them to you. Comcast has even stated that they will let you use a DOCSIS 3 complaint modem that you own instead of leasing one from them, but they won’t sell one to you and you can’t buy it anywhere else.

What does this mean to you as a consumer? If you want Internet service from your Cable Provider using one of the new DOCSIS 3 complaint modems you are required to "lease" the cable modem from them. This means you have to pay them a monthly lease rate rather than owning your own modem and paying them nothing! It also means that if you decide you want to buy a cable modem of your own you are forced to buy an older model that will not last as long as the new complaint modems.

Does this seem like it is not right to you? Do you wonder if there is something you can do about it? There is something you can do about this and make a change in this practice. Go to the Federal Trade Commission and register a complaint about this. Let them know that we as consumers won’t stand for this type of price fixing.

»www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Changed spelling of a title word for search purposes. ~sorto'
Expand your moderator at work

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to chlorophyl

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Complaint Cable Modem

said by chlorophyl:

Comcast has even stated that they will let you use a DOCSIS 3 complaint modem that you own instead of leasing one from them, but they won’t sell one to you and you can’t buy it anywhere else.

So the complaint about D3 compliant modems, isn't really about comcast?

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to chlorophyl
I would rather pay a 3$/month lease fee and have the option to switch it out for a replacement for free if it breaks. Assuming a new D3 modem costs $150 right now (probably low but for the sake of my point) it would take you over four years to break even.

Basically, what's the problem here?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

ya just wait right now the cost is high because the serive isn't fully deployed yet and many of the current ones only do 4 chanels anyway

right now the MSO's are buying lots of D3 modems so they will of course get a better priority but after some reach 100% availableity of d3 then you will likely see them in stores

Chaldo

join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI

1 edit
reply to chlorophyl
Yea, just wait till docsis 3.0 hits more areas they will most likely release the docsis 3.0 modems to buy in stores. We have already seen doc 1.1/2.0 modems in stores and I doubt they can keep Docsis 3.0 modems only for MSO's for ever to many complaints would come along.

ps. like ive said before customers can do almost anything and make a change all we have to do is sign a petition to cancel are services and demand stuff.... RIGHT LIKE THATS GONNA HAPPEN.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to chlorophyl
said by chlorophyl:

Does this seem like it is not right to you? ... Let them know that we as consumers won’t stand for this type of price fixing.

How does "price fixing" apply to me if a product isn't even available to me for purchase? Just wondering ...

As to whether it is "right" or not, what do you mean by right? Are you saying it is illegal for companies to manufacture a product and then only offer it to certain customers? Or are you saying this is a moral issue of some kind?

I will say I have been curious about why these modems are not being offered for sale. I also wonder why they are priced so much higher than previous new modem prices. Answers to those questions would interest me.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

My guesses as to why the price is so high is
its new and the production level is likely not as high as it is for D2 as D2 is likely still in production

as to the not for sale yet
the manufactures likely see that people won't pay that high price so their waiting

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
It's likely to change in a while as D3 becomes more wide spread. However, right now you have cities/systems where only parts of the system is D3.

I think this is a smart move to NOT roll out D3 modems just yet... they're not ready for prime time retail as the coverage is too spotty.

I think the makers are more concerned about getting them produced and shipped to the providers that need them.. consumers can wait.

Besides, it seems that just a few years ago, Time Warner Cable didn't even allow people to use their own modems.. and I can point out some smaller systems, to date, that you still have to lease the modem from them.

But, in the end, I just think that its premature to see them on the shelves just yet.. who knows, maybe retailers don't want the hassle of people buying them only to return them later when the realize that D3 isn't available to them yet.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

You bring up some other thoughts that crossed my mind when we first started to learn of the pricing and the fact it is lease only.

I know I wouldn't pay those prices for a modem and, if I were to subscribe to a D3 tier right now, would certainly choose the lease option as a bargain.

It also occurred to me, as new as DOCSIS 3.0 modems are, there just may be a number of significant upgrades to them in the near future after experience with them out in the field. If so, I would be unhappy to have paid a big price for an early model and would prefer a later one.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to fiberguy
Hmmmmmm, since local networks are not all served by the same equipment, historically speaking, is it possible Comcast might want to determine which modems work best on each local DOCSIS 3.0 upgraded network?
--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to fiberguy
$500 a pop aint too appealing either.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17

1 recommendation

500/3$ = 14 years to break even

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
reply to sortofageek
My understanding, and I'm not 100% sure on this one, someone else can chime in, but Comcast in the Twin Cities, for example, is on different D3 equipment than other systems. When D3 first came out, I believe it was using a non-certified system.. not sure.

But yea, I believe you're on the right track on this one.

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to chlorophyl

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

Well, while I agree its not right that you can't purchase your own D3 modem if you choose, its also not a smart idea right now. With the high price of the modems and the questionable interoperability with the network and the modem I would say, just rent one from the MSO because that way its guaranteed to work on their network.

We went through the same thing when the D1.1 and D2 modems came out. Just give it time, and D3 modems will be on every retail shelf and online store like the D2 modems are now.
--
Duct tape is like The Force – it has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the Universe together

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

2 edits

3 recommendations

reply to chlorophyl
I'm pretty sure that D3 modems should be available in retail channels soon, based on what I remember about previous generations of DOCSIS modems. Keep in mind that D3 is new and the manufacturers that have devices on offer (1) may not be certified by various networks yet or (2) may not yet have ramped up enough manufacturing capacity to serve all buyers yet.

I'll see if I can't get more info for folks here...

J

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to chlorophyl

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

2 edits

1 recommendation

The question remains (and this is also, and especially for jlivingood See Profile as well), will Comcast even provision a D3 modem for service on their network that is not leased by them yet ??

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
said by EG:

The question remains (and this is also, and especially for jlivingood See Profile as well), will Comcast even provision a D3 modem for service on their network that is not leased by them yet ??
I think that they don't have a choice. FCC requirement

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
said by mb:

I think that they don't have a choice. FCC requirement
Incorrect..

noobfragger

join:2008-01-16
Elk Grove, CA
I talked to them, and they stated that they will provision it as long as you have blast or better.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to EG
said by EG:

besides if you look at any of those sellers the status is "on order" or "call" meaning they don't have em yet

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

reply to noobfragger
said by noobfragger:

I talked to them, and they stated that they will provision it as long as you have blast or better.
And you unconditionally believe a front line CSR ?

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to noobfragger
said by noobfragger:

Sounds accurate to me. Today folks can buy D1.1 and D2.0 modems, as well as lease them. This won't be changing with D3.0.

Jason
--
JL
Comcast

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by EG:

besides if you look at any of those sellers the status is "on order" or "call" meaning they don't have em yet
Yup, But at least you can try to order one, Unlike what the OP was trying to convey...

tuneage

join:2009-02-28
Logansport, IN
reply to C_Chipperson

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Complaint Cable Modem

I agree that the post seems a bit spammish to me. However, to play devil's advocate for a moment, I think that there is some validity in one of the questions chlorophyl asks. You assume it costs $150, would your answer be different if the modem costs $50? I ask because I don't know what the modem costs, but it would at least seem to be nice to be able to make the decision to buy or not. If it is really $150 then you are right, I'd lease the thing too. However, I don't have a "choice" as they point out.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
Currently, as far as I have seen, a D3 modem will set you back about $500.
Not $50.00... $500.00(Five Hundred Dollars)
Leasing is the current best idea.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

tuneage

join:2009-02-28
Logansport, IN

1 edit
reply to EG

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

said by EG:

I just got off the phone with the reli's in Minneapolis, and they called Comcast. Comcast will let their customers connect to their service with a D3 modem that they own. However, they can't sell you one. So, I am not sure what the issue is, they are more than willing to let you have one on their network, they are just unable to sell you one.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
Well I'm sorry. And this may indeed be true, but I've heard differently, and read differently both here, and on other forums.

K Patterson
Premium,MVM
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I think the issue isn't will they or won't they, nor is it should/must they.

The issue is why would you?

New technology. What if a big bug turns up and they have to replace modems, sending them to the factory for rework.

What if they decide to change the upstreeam turnover point from 42-54 to a higher value?

Seems to me there are lots of ways to end up with a brick.