how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Berkeley

@comcast.net
reply to SouthernLCC

Re: Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

I bought a 6120 at Fry's last week and it has worked great for four days and counting in Berkeley, CA.

Berkeley is not D3 yet, we are close, but Comcast provisioned the 6120 over the phone, no problem or issues. Configuration file loaded was for a SB6120.

Faster Blast and Powerboost speeds than the 5120 I replaced. Signal/noise is improved according to the modem. Hopefully, I am ready for Ultra when available without a tech visit. NO channel bonding yet without D3, of course.

My residential dynamic Comcast IP didn't change when I switched modems. That surprised me.

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB6120-1.0.1.3-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 1.0
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Firmware Build Time: Dec 8 2008 15:37:58

Chaldo

join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI
reply to chlorophyl
Anyone buy from the link I posted yet jw?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by Chaldo:

Not me, but why do you ask ?
--
Sláinte

K Patterson
Premium,MVM
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH
kudos:1
reply to Chaldo
It is not available for shipment at that link - in-store pickup only!

Chaldo

West Bloomfield, MI

1 edit
reply to EG
said by EG:

said by Chaldo:

Not me, but why do you ask ?
Just wondering if anyone bought any of them yet.

edit: also thats gay, a day ago it said you could ship it... oh well I guess if you really wanted one bad, you could get someone by a store location that you knew to buy it and ship it to you.. lol

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
reply to chlorophyl
Wonder how long until a big tech site like Newegg has the SB6120 in stock

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
Anyone know of a place near Denver to get one of these bad boys? I have a friend or two in Austin who could probably get to a Fry's down there but it'd be nice to grab one myself. I'd go online, but looks like everyone selling the darned things is positively fly-by-night!

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2
No one in Denver has them right now. Best Buy and Micro Center would be the only places locally, but none have any. Best Buy also took their SB6120 off their site which is strange...
--
Duct tape is like The Force – it has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the Universe together

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

2 recommendations

reply to Chaldo
$78.95 here, not sure the shipping cost though.

»www.erwincomputers.com/54510101100.html
--
"I like to reffer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondeck

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 edit
said by Cthen:

Good find Cthen See Profile, if that is a reputable retailer ?

Chaldo

West Bloomfield, MI
said by EG:

said by Cthen:

Good find Cthen See Profile, if that is a reputable retailer ?
Yes I would too like to know this. Anyone bought from this website before?

also as EG said nice find!

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to Cjaiceman
BB would pull it due to spotty coverage (they are a national retailer/e-tailer), and they may very well move it to in-store only. (When the SB-5120 went retail, it wasn't available in every BB at first; I bought mine in Wilmington, DE, at the BB in the mall adjoining the hotel I was overnighting in. At the time, it was NOT on BestBuy.com, and would not hit the site for another month. The same modem was available for lease, but not purchase, in the Washington, DC metro cluster, which is why I was surprised to see it in retail. Fry's Electronics did exactly that with the SB-6120; while Comcast will gladly lease one to me, if I want to buy one, I have to go to Ohio (nearest Fry's) to buy one (unless MC also goes retail, which is possible; there are two MCs in this area).)

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 recommendation

reply to EG
I have ordered a few things from them previously for cell phone accessories. Had no problem with them there. Just happened to see that there today and remembered this thread.
--
"I like to reffer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondeck

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
Cool ! Thanks for the reply bud !!

BugDave

join:2002-01-25
Detroit, MI
reply to chlorophyl
I just bought mine from compuplus.com. In google shopping they had the best rating of 4/5 stars with 3,026 ratings. Total was $93 and delivered in 2-3 days. Comes with a 30 day return policy yadda yadda. Link below

»www.compuplus.com/i-Motorola-SUR···84~.html

ComTechIV

join:2009-03-25
Burlington, CT
reply to EG

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

As long as you use same equipment as what they use as a lease you can. Thats because DOCSIS 3.0 modem config files have to be designed for specific make/model. Right now here you got Motorola 6120 and CISCO (forgot model doh).

kwasmo

join:2004-03-16
Hammond, IN
I also bought mine from compuplus.com. It came today

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to ComTechIV
said by ComTechIV:

As long as you use same equipment as what they use as a lease you can. Thats because DOCSIS 3.0 modem config files have to be designed for specific make/model. Right now here you got Motorola 6120 and CISCO (forgot model doh).
DPC3000

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 edit
reply to ComTechIV
said by ComTechIV:

I'm curious as to why you replied to me here ?

You didn't quote me..

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to KevTech
said by KevTech:

Calm down guys as you can use owned DOCSIS 3 modems on Comcast as well as lease one.

Sometimes it helps to read the whole thread so you don't miss vital info.

CLICK HERE then scroll down to and read the post by jlivingood.
I'm living proof. I'm using the SB6120 modem currently as I'm sending this post, and with no problems.
Expand your moderator at work

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to EG

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

said by EG:

In case any conclusions are being jumped to in this thread.

One still has to actually subscribe to the Ultra (or be automatically upgraded to Ultra) and the Extreme speedtiers in order to get those speeds. Just purchasing the modem via retail isn't enough.
As it looks like I dont think Comcast will be automatically upgrading anyone to the Ultra tier, as per this chart. Though I hope I'm wrong since I'm at that tier that would be upgraded automatically to Ultra.

»www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ/Fa···?Id=4859

K Patterson
Premium,MVM
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH
kudos:1
reply to Anon

the post you responded to is eleven weeks old, as are the other links you are responding to.
Expand your moderator at work