join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 edit

1 recommendation

Johkal to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Complaint Cable Modem

I'll wait for the Linksys WCM300 to go down to the $125 mark and then that will be my D3 modem.

Ref: »www.provantage.com/cisco ··· 921Y.htm

As for you, no free D3 modem coming your way.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

I'll wait for the Linksys WCM300 to go down to the $125 mark and then that will be my D3 modem.

Ref: »www.provantage.com/cisco ··· 921Y.htm

As for you, no free D3 modem coming your way.
wow nice find one that might actualy be able to get it

I'll wait awhile though

delusion FTL
@comcast.net

delusion FTL to chlorophyl

Anon

to chlorophyl

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

»cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-Ca ··· 294%3A50

hmmm, less than 200 dollars shipped

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

3 recommendations

dadkins

MVM

said by delusion FTL :

Go for it!
More than once we have seen people buy from ebay and recieve a stolen/non-provisionable modem.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

EG

Premium Member

said by dadkins:

Go for it!
More than once we have seen people buy from ebay and recieve a stolen/non-provisionable modem.
How do you spell B-R-I-C-K ?

delusion FTL
@comcast.net

delusion FTL

Anon

oh gee whiz guys, laredo texas is time warner cable so if it was stolen comcast would have no idea, and it's new in box. If it ended up being a brick the guy would get a nice ding on his 100% good feedback.

I've bought probably 10 modems over the years from ebay and they've all been fine.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

said by dadkins:

Go for it!
How do you spell B-R-I-C-K ?
How bout a very expensive doorstop?

delusion FTL
@comcast.net

delusion FTL

Anon

Besides I probably wont buy a D3 modem for years since the sb5100 runs the ultra (22/5) just fine.
getlowdogg
join:2008-02-12
15131-2227

3 edits

getlowdogg to chlorophyl

to chlorophyl
Comcast currently supports five DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems. They are the Ambit U10C035, Motorola SB6120, Netgear CMD31T, CiscoSystems DPC3000, and SMCNetworks SMCD3GCCR. You can find this information at »help.comcast.net/content ··· -service. Does anyone know where you can buy a Netgear CMD31T? I want a Netgear CMD31T, because it has a similar physical appearance as the Netgear WGR614 Wireless-G Router. Thank you!
K Patterson
Premium Member
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH

K Patterson to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
How about nothing? Note that the seller will shhip three wees after the payment is received. Sounds like a stolen eBay account.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

SpaethCo to delusion FTL

MVM

to delusion FTL
said by delusion FTL :

Besides I probably wont buy a D3 modem for years since the sb5100 runs the ultra (22/5) just fine.
I expect them to crack down on this at some point. 22/5 on DOCSIS2 with Comcast's channel loading tends to be a bad idea.

Just because you can do it with the 5100 doesn't mean you should do it with that modem.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool

Premium Member

Agreed. I've heard rumblings about removing the 22/5 bootfiles for all non D3 devices as well.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
I'm thinking they are waiting for the D3 modems to be more main stream and available in retail stores. It would hurt their bottom line if they required D3 modems on 22/5 tiers at the moment.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to SpaethCo

MVM

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:
said by delusion FTL :

I expect them to crack down on this at some point. 22/5 on DOCSIS2 with Comcast's channel loading tends to be a bad idea.

Just because you can do it with the 5100 doesn't mean you should do it with that modem.
Who's that directed at? Comcast or the customer who is paying for 22/5 using a D2 modem?

If I'm a customer paying for 22/5 and using a D2 modem, I don't give a crap if I "shouldn't" do it.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

1 recommendation

SpaethCo

MVM

said by Johkal:

Who's that directed at? Comcast or the customer who is paying for 22/5 using a D2 modem?

If I'm a customer paying for 22/5 and using a D2 modem, I don't give a crap if I "shouldn't" do it.
Allocating 58% of a 38mbps DOCSIS channel to a single user is an unwise move on the provider side for channel-loading reasons, and will undoubtedly lead to poor performance experienced by subscribers. It's a lose-lose situation.

Given that all of the advertising for the new tiers shows the price with the required modem rental fee included, it would appear that the people who put together the plans realized this and tried to plan accordingly. I would suspect D2 hardware being turned up for the 22/5 tier would be attributed to errors in internal communication / training.

I recently converted to business services and was provisioned with a SMC 8014 temporarily on 22/5 service due to a shortage of Motorola/Cisco kit. Off-hours I get the same performance as I had with my SciAtl 2505 with channel-bonding on the residential 22/5 plan, but during the day it's quite obvious that I am only attaching to a single channel.

Personally I can't see why a customer would want to screw themselves out of performance after paying $62.95/mo for the Ultra tier simply to save $3/mo in rental fees.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

exacly

if you pay for service then why not get it

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

jlivingood to chlorophyl

Premium Member

to chlorophyl
If someone has a D2 modem AND 22/5 service, there's a problem. Please contact our customer service team ASAP and ask for a new D3 modem.

For 22/5 and higher, a D3 modem is an absolutely requirement. (I am aware that this may not always be the case and my team is working to identify anyone in this situation.)

Also, FWIW, anyone that still has an old DOCSIS 1.0-only modem should take not of this very important FAQ (and should contact us for a new modem): »help.comcast.net/content ··· -program

Jason

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Devious to delusion FTL

Premium Member

to delusion FTL
said by delusion FTL :

Up to almost 230 now.
Phillip
I Need A Nap
join:2004-12-21
Hatboro, PA

Phillip

said by Devious:

said by delusion FTL :

Up to almost 230 now.
Over 200+!? I'll wait for Cisco's HWIC-CABLE-D-3 card to come out for that price.

bayareanon
@pacbell.net

bayareanon to chlorophyl

Anon

to chlorophyl
Hmm that's a tough choice right there.

$230 for quite likely a stolen modem with ZERO warranty ...

or...

6.3 years worth of rental fees with free replacement modems any time you need one.

Golly I don't know...

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

Devious to chlorophyl

Premium Member

to chlorophyl
You can buy a SB6120 for around 100 dollars or less.
K Patterson
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

K Patterson

Premium Member

Where can you do that?

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

Devious

Premium Member

said by K Patterson:

Where can you do that?
SB6120 - most are out of stock right now.
tcassio
join:2008-10-20

tcassio to chlorophyl

to chlorophyl
The fact that we can't purchase our own equipment leads me to beleive that we should not have to pay a rental fee. It is a required peice of equipment for there service.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson

Premium Member

said by tcassio:

The fact that we can't purchase our own equipment leads me to beleive that we should not have to pay a rental fee. It is a required peice of equipment for there service.
They are going to either charge a rental fee, or increase the base price to recover their losses somewhere. Do you think there should be no fee for HD_DVR since you can't buy one?
K Patterson
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

K Patterson to Devious

Premium Member

to Devious
said by Devious:

said by K Patterson:

Where can you do that?
SB6120 - most are out of stock right now.
I don't believe that any of those sellers every has any stock.

Just one more scam.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to tcassio

MVM

to tcassio
That, more than anything else, was the reason the government broke up the old Bell system in 1984. Today's AT&T does not charge a rental fee for their modems, nor do they prohibit the customer from buying his own (as the old AT&T did for telephones).

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

Devious to chlorophyl

Premium Member

to chlorophyl
Calm down guys as you can use owned DOCSIS 3 modems on Comcast as well as lease one.

Sometimes it helps to read the whole thread so you don't miss vital info.

CLICK HERE then scroll down to and read the post by jlivingood.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

2 edits

Tobin to K Patterson

to K Patterson
said by K Patterson:

Where can you do that?
A number of legitimate places. I bought my SB6120 from a cable/telco supplier for $125 shipped, so I laughed a little when I saw people guestimating $500 for a full D3 modem that supports downstream/upstream bonding.

I also laughed at the people bidding D3 modems up to $230 on eBay when the seller probably bought a bunch from a similar supplier.

When I ordered mine, I was quoted 4 weeks on shipment, but it ended up at my door in about a week.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to K Patterson

MVM

to K Patterson
said by K Patterson: