Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

perseus7401

join:2006-05-20
Austin, TX

wireless keeps dropping with westell c90 set up as bridge

Hi,
My mom has bellsouth dsl at home and the wireless signal keeps dropping.
She has a westel c90-610030-06 dsl modem and there is a netgear WGR614v6 router also.
I set up the connection as instructed on this link:
»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »What is the proper way to set up a Netgear router with a Westell modem?

The PC (win xp OS) that has a wired connection works just fine. We can surf the web no problem. We also setup the wireless connection on the netgear router, and we are able to connect to it, and surf the web.

Then we connected to the wireless signal with a laptop that has vista on it, and we can surf the web, but many times when I tried to load a page, it says page not found. I then look on the task bar, and i see that the internet connection icon which normally looks like 2 monitors screen with a globe right next to them, appears as a the monitors without the globe. I click on it, and it say
access: local only. At this point I just turn the wireless signal off in the laptop, turn it back on, and internet works again, only to repeat the same cycle.

do you guys have any troubleshooting advice to see what the problem could be?

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

If only the wireless is dropping, then either you have a wireless problem (such as interference), or a problem with the netgear router (perhaps hardware failure of its wifi chipset).
--
AT&T dsl; Westell 327w modem/router; openSuSE 11.0; firefox 3.0.6

perseus7401

join:2006-05-20
Austin, TX

Well, funny thing is, i was using this router at home with my cable internet, and not a problem; thats why i gave it to mom cause its so easy to use.....

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7

Then it is probably an interference problem.

Experiment with different WiFi channels.

xeonox

join:2002-11-05
Los Angeles, CA

if she lives in Apartments or a place with 5-10 or more wireless signals that you are picking up, then you are going to have alot of NOISE and problems. you Should consider wired if thats the case. Noise is WiFi's kryptonite.