spc
uniqs
noobfragger
join:2008-01-16
Elk Grove, CA

noobfragger to EG

to EG

Re: [Business] Buying a DOCSIS 3 Compliant Cable Modem

I talked to them, and they stated that they will provision it as long as you have blast or better.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

EG

Premium Member

said by noobfragger:

I talked to them, and they stated that they will provision it as long as you have blast or better.
And you unconditionally believe a front line CSR ?

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood to noobfragger

Premium Member

to noobfragger
said by noobfragger:

Sounds accurate to me. Today folks can buy D1.1 and D2.0 modems, as well as lease them. This won't be changing with D3.0.

Jason

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

4 edits

EG

Premium Member

said by jlivingood:

Today folks can buy D1.1 and D2.0 modems, as well as lease them. This won't be changing with D3.0.
But are they allowing customer owned modems to be provisioned as of right now Jason ?

Do they even have config files for all available makes and models ?

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

2 recommendations

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by EG:

But are they allowing customer owned modems to be provisioned as of right now Jason ?

Do they even have config files for all available makes and models ?
Testing the modems, after they pass CableLabs certification, and then creating boot files for them takes time. In some cases you may even find the manufacturer needs to do a firmware update, and then you re-run the test cycle. All that is pretty routine stuff.

I have no idea what is in the pipeline right now (and I don't think we ever comment on that pipeline). I think there are currently three D3 devices on the approved list.

My guess is, again based on what I have seen with D2 and D1.1, is that over the coming weeks and months, more and more modems will come on the market and therefore more will be approved for use on the network and be able to receive a boot file. So stay tuned.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

Your response, as well as CC's recent increase in their *openness* is much appreciated Jason !

Thank you sir !