spc
Search similar:

uniqs

w0kie
join:2001-12-23
USA

w0kie

Re: [OK] Docsis 3.0 is rolling out in Tulsa says Cox installer

The Cox installer I quoted in my first post actually hooked up what appears to be a Motorola Docsis 3.0 modem at my friends apartment the other day. I saw that new fat Motorola modem today when I went over to my friends place to teach her how to use email and browser for her very first time on a new HP computer that she received from her parents as a gift.

Now can somebody please tell me how to get that exact same Cox Tulsa Docsis 3.0 modem as my newbie friend got installed by Cox Tulsa at her apartment? I was so surprised in seeing it that I forgot to run a Speedtest but I certainly will the next time I visit.

needforspeed59
Cruise Ship Just Passing Through
join:2001-05-02
La Place, LA

needforspeed59 to w0kie

to w0kie
Chances are that fat Moto is an EMTA phone/internet modem. Does you friend also have Cox phone?

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to w0kie

to w0kie
If it was a "fat" Motorola modem it likely was the SBV5220/5222 DOCSIS 2.0/Telephony cable modem or eMTA.

w0kie
USA

w0kie

My newbie friend doesn't have Cox telephone service, just Cox cable TV and Cox's cheapest level Internet. The next time I'm over there I will make note of the "fat" Motorola modem model number.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

said by w0kie:

My newbie friend doesn't have Cox telephone service, just Cox cable TV and Cox's cheapest level Internet. The next time I'm over there I will make note of the "fat" Motorola modem model number.
Have your friend go to 192.168.100.1 in a browser and you should be able to see a model number to post.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to w0kie

MVM

to w0kie
the d3 motorola that is listed on the website isn't "fat". my first guess was that he was using the sbg900 with the built-in router/wifi. even that isn't much bigger than a standard 51xx-series.

i would really have to say that we're looking at an emta.

sb6120

q.

needforspeed59
La Place, LA

needforspeed59

Does Cox sell SBG900's?

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

doubt it...i can't see why...they make everything more of a pain...

i guess what i was trying to say is that the sb5100-series isn't fat, and the sbg900 is the same size.
the sb6120 looks to be about the same size as the 5100-series, just more square (possibly could stand or lay down?)..

nothing that i saw on the moto consumer site is "fat". i have seen the emta and that is "fat".

who knows...maybe i'm missing something...

q.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to needforspeed59

to needforspeed59
The only wireless gateway devices we sold were Linksys WCG200's as part of a home networking solution, however, we have stopped providing these devices due to difficulties troubleshooting them.

needforspeed59
La Place, LA

needforspeed59 to w0kie

to w0kie
I still think it will turn out to be an EMTA modem.

w0kie
USA

w0kie

I believe the modem looked like the one in this link but I'm still investigating.

»connectedhome2go.files.w ··· -cpe.jpg

Fubar16
join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ

Fubar16

said by w0kie:

I believe the modem looked like the one in this link but I'm still investigating.

»connectedhome2go.files.w ··· -cpe.jpg
There are 3 in the link, Which one?

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to w0kie

to w0kie
For what it's worth, the one pictured on the left appears to be the SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem, the 2 on the right appear to be eMTA modems, middle model appears to be the SBV5120/5122 DOCSIS 2.0 I previously mentioned and the one on the far right I'm guessing would be the SBV6120 DOCSIS 3.0 based on the light pattern.
Macspert
join:2008-10-23
Tulsa, OK

Macspert to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1
said by CoxTech1:

The only wireless gateway devices we sold were Linksys WCG200's as part of a home networking solution, however, we have stopped providing these devices due to difficulties troubleshooting them.
Actually, there are some Surfboard WiFi/modems in use in Tulsa. They were given when WiFi was first installed a few years ago. They are WiFi only, no wired routing capability. I'm not sure the model number off hand. They are usually replaced with what you describe and haven't been installed in some time.

If the Doc 3.0 modem is fat, it's most likely an eMTA. The Moto eMTA's are fat (phat?)The Doc 3.o cable modems are no different than their non-3.o counterparts in size.

Tulsa also utilizes the Sci-Atlantic modem, mostly on the Commercial side.

ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to CoxTOC1

Premium Member

to CoxTOC1
said by CoxTOC1:

Sounds like they are talking about the EON(1Ghz) upgrades not DOCSIS 3.0. Unfortunately their are some techs out their who confuse the EON project with DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades.

While I am fairly sure that Cox will upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 their have been no announcements made on which markets or when those upgrades will be made.
what are the differences between the EON upgrade and the Docsis 3.0 upgrade? Could they both be done at the same time?

CoxTOC1
join:2007-05-15
Newport News, VA

CoxTOC1

EON is a physical plant upgrade and DOCSIS 3 is a Hardware/Software upgrade.

Yes they could both be done at the same time... however the 1Ghz upgrade has enough issues on it's own with out throwing in a DOCSIS upgrade.

w0kie
USA

w0kie

Mystery solved. Cox Tulsa gave my friend a Motorola SBV5222 which is only Docsis 2.0. Why Cox Tulsa is installing voice and data modems where the customer application is data only is interesting.

»www.motorola.com/busines ··· b00aRCRD

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by w0kie:

Mystery solved. Cox Tulsa gave my friend a Motorola SBV5222 which is only Docsis 2.0. Why Cox Tulsa is installing voice and data modems where the customer application is data only is interesting.
He doesn't have cox digital voice? maybe that office is out of cablemodem only modems.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to w0kie

to w0kie
Yes that is indeed interesting. My understanding is that we loan those to customers free of charge under the condition that they maintain phone service through us. Perhaps this was a situatin where the installer didn't have a traditional modem to sell or lease to the customer and used an eMTA as a courtesy.

w0kie
USA

w0kie to dvd536

to dvd536
The customer has the lowest tier, slowest Internet account option. No Cox telephone. In fact no land line either. Even more surprising is the customer had absolutely no clue on even how to use Internet and still doesn't have much of a clue. She received the Cox Internet account and computer as a gift from her father.

What I'm wondering is whether I'm having to pay more than necessary on my account for Cox's fancy modem giveaway.

cob_
1310nm Of Goodness
Premium Member
join:2003-07-08
Tulsa, OK

cob_ to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

Fios is available in tulsa OK?
if not, i doubt that subcontracted installer knew anything.
No, but AT&T is rapidly building their U-Verse network here, and while their highest tier of service is still slower than Cox Preferred, I believe Cox will want to stay ahead of the game. Cox was providing us with free bandwidth upgrades in this area before AT&T was even remotely a threat with their expensive 7mb/s DSL.

w0kie
USA

w0kie

AT&T Uverse door-to-door sales has been working my East Tulsa neighborhood hard. The game changer will be if or when Verizon Fios ever decides to come to Tulsa.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to w0kie

to w0kie
As I mentioned above, we do not charge any rental fees for the eMTA modems but they remain property of Cox. What I have seen happen is when a customer cancel's phone service they may get charged for the device if not promptly returned.
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss to w0kie

to w0kie
said by w0kie:

AT&T Uverse door-to-door sales has been working my East Tulsa neighborhood hard. The game changer will be if or when Verizon Fios ever decides to come to Tulsa.
Keep waiting; that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

w0kie
USA

w0kie

I have now learned that Cox charged my newbie friend for that fat modem with telephone capabilities that she doesn't need or want. Cox gave her 12 months to pay it off.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by w0kie:

I have now learned that Cox charged my newbie friend for that fat modem with telephone capabilities that she doesn't need or want. Cox gave her 12 months to pay it off.
said by CoxTech1:

As I mentioned above, we do not charge any rental fees for the eMTA modems but they remain property of Cox. What I have seen happen is when a customer cancel's phone service they may get charged for the device if not promptly returned.
little bit of confusion by one party or another (i'm assuming).

q.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

1 edit

CoxTech1 to w0kie

to w0kie
As long as she returns the equipment they should reverse the charge if it was a charge for lost equipment. She would still need to make other arrangements with regards to getting a cable modem for her Internet service.

Kakalaky
Premium Member
join:2003-04-04
Chattanooga, TN

1 edit

Kakalaky to CoxTech1

Premium Member

to CoxTech1
said by CoxTech1:

Interesting. I got charged for my modem and I have video, data and voice. How about refunding my $60 then.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by Kakalaky:

said by CoxTech1:

Interesting. I got charged for my modem and I have video, data and voice. How about refunding my $60 then.
you were probably charged for the *data* modem (if you opted to purchase one from cox). what is being referred to above is the emta device - which you may or may not have depending on your voice type (cox digital voice or circuit-switched).

q.

DrThodt_
@cox.net

DrThodt_ to w0kie

Anon

to w0kie
In eMTA markets Cox doesn't charge for the device because it is required to provide regulated telephony service. If customers have telephone service, it isn't uncommon to be used freely as a data modem also rather than purchasing a seperate data only modem which can also be used in conjunction with an eMTA in the same premise.

What I find curious is that not all markets allow both data and voip traffic to be utilized on the same device freely rather than purchasing a modem.

My guess is MSOs are still making profits from modem sells and simply refuse to allow it in high retail markets.

BUT! Why does it sound like Michael R is just responding to CoxTech1 just to get a rise?