spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tomek11
@sbcglobal.net

tomek11

Anon

New to ATT Uverse - How to change WEP password on router

How do I change the WEP password on the router that ATT gave me??

I used to have a Linkys router and I cant seem to find out how to do it on the ATT router.
dave006
join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

dave006

Login to the RG and just change the settings on this page.

»192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE= ··· PAGE=C05

Dave

LittleCupcakes
@sbcglobal.net

LittleCupcakes to tomek11

Anon

to tomek11
I was told by the installer that you SHOULD NOT change the router name or password manually.

Apparently (I was told) ATT uses that router and password name to identify the equipment, and that changing that info could cause loss of service.

Please let me know if you were succesful, so I can do likewise.
dustman81
join:2002-05-28
united state

dustman81 to tomek11

to tomek11
I changed the SSID and set the encryption to WPA2 and at&t is still able to connect and diagnose it.
Rob2647
join:2008-08-12
Rochester, MI

Rob2647 to tomek11

to tomek11
I to changed the ssid, wireless passphrase and switched it to WPA without any issues. Also changed the router password, different than the passphrase.

Maybe the AT&T tech misunderstood you?

LittleCupcakes
@sbcglobal.net

LittleCupcakes

Anon

Nope, definitely no misunderstanding.

Must be he didn't WANT me to change that info, but I'm going to do it right now.

Thanks for that input, folks!
dave006
join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

dave006 to Rob2647

to Rob2647
said by Rob2647:

I to changed the ssid, wireless passphrase and switched it to WPA without any issues. Also changed the router password, different than the passphrase.

Maybe the AT&T tech misunderstood you?
No, what the tech was saying is that if you change the settings then he or any other tech will not be able to follow the normal process of looking on the RG to get the admin password and the WEP Key. If and only if they are physically at your home. These changes have nothing to to with remote access to the RG from the WAN side of the network.

There is no problem with you making these types of changes if you know what you are doing or understand that if you break it, you should be able to fix it...

Often, individuals go in an make changes and in the process they enter the incorrect password or forget what they used for the SSID or other key settings. The only way to recover is for the tech to reset the RG and start over.

Dave

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

I will say that if you do change the SSID and/or the Encryption Key and Encryption Style, then if/when you ever call into tech support for WiFi issues, the first thing that will be done is the TS agent will remote into your RG, and change your SSID & Encryption Key back to the defaults, and change the encryption style to WEP.

WEP really is not all that good... just google "WEP crack" sometime.