dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

[Ooma] 2 line phones

Was thinking about the Ooma and 2 line setup. How does that work if you use 2 line phone system. Ie multihandset 2 line phones. Can the base unit just plug directly into the hub and get both lines or does 1 line have to be feed from scout?

This is my last concerns with the hub/scout model. Personally I would want to be able to control all functions from the phone not have to find the hub/scout to link lines ect.

Also going to the hub/scout would be annoying since all the handsets have access to the base units voicemail Probably would continue to use the phones email instead of oomas anyway so that wouldn't be a major problem.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
I don't believe the Ooma hub or scout support 2 POTS type lines in the traditional sense (2 pairs of wires). Instead they support a hybrid of 2 lines. Where the hub and scout can each access a second line as necessary via a DSL-like feature over a single pair of wires.

The hub and scout(s) talk to each other using a DSL-like capability.

To get the familiar 2 lines we all know and love (for normal POTS type 2 line phones) would require 2 Ooma hubs.

I assume (but have yet to test) that two Ooma hubs can share a single IP address via a NAT router. If so, the best way to add a POTS 2nd line would be via an additional Ooma hub.

The Ooma Scouts seem to sell on Ebay for nearly $50. Assuming you purchase 2 Ooma cores from Amazon for $400. It may be possible to recover $100 from Ebay by selling the Scouts. This would net an out of pocket $300 for 2 line unlimited calling (if 2 Ooma hubs can share a single IP address over NAT).

Note also that 2 line capability from Ooma seems to require a subscription to the premium service at $99 per year.

Thus with a dual Ooma core system your net out of pocket is $300 if you sell 2 scouts on eBay for about $100. There would never be any required additional fees according to the current TOS.

Your net out of pocket with a single core system is $300 the first year, $200 for the core (hub and scout) and $99 for Ooma premier. However you'd have to continue to pay $99 per year for premier forever.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

2 edits
This is what I was thinking with the 2 line setup line 1 would have to come from the hub. Line 2 would have to come from the scout. (then plugged into the line port on the hub) Both would have to be placed by the phone system.

Both lines come from Ooma yes this would require premier service.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
That would work, but your cost would be $99 per year forever. The two core solution even if the scouts aren't sold, becomes viable after 2 years. Provided Ooma stays in business that long.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."