Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xpkranger
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Atlanta, GA

Snow in Atlanta!

A moment ago we had a flash of lightning and some thunder in the snow. I'd only seen that once before, and that was in the big snow of '93 and I was stuck in the mountains of Western NC.

I was going to post pics on flickr but it seems to be having issues.... Maybe in a few minutes.
--
My pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xpkranger/

xpkranger
Premium
Atlanta, GA
Here we go. Had to post one here.

--
My pics:

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus

1 edit
reply to xpkranger
Click for full size
Gertie in the snow.
My dog seemed bored with the whole thing other than licking the snow.

xpkranger
Premium
Atlanta, GA
Gertie isn't displaying. Maybe it's me.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
I see her

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1
reply to xpkranger
I see Gertie.

Getting some heavy snowfall here.

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
reply to xpkranger
Gettin cold out here in W Cobb. Used to live in stuff like this and worse in Jersey, don't miss it at all.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to xpkranger
Heck of a day to be at work....

delt4
Congrats BUCCOS
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to xpkranger
Prior to the snow, has anyone in this area seen any evidence of spring or anything starting to bloom yet?

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
I have some daffodils in bloom.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to delt4
Tons...flowers and trees all over my yard.
There are a ton of tree buds all over the place here!

Probably a lot more now that they were weighted down by all the snow and the strong winds coming through.

xpkranger
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to xpkranger
Damage near Emory... The tree behind the car fell on the roof of the house before rolling off onto the back of the car...

Avondale Estates policeman checks to see if this snowman is up to code...

Snow falls fast & heavy on U.S. 78

--
My pics:

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
Encountered some icy roads on the way to the office this morning.

i2Fuzzy

join:2009-02-25
Fort Worth, TX
reply to xpkranger
Didn't get all that much up in Cumming.
--
Ali Fazel
i2Telecom Representative

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to xpkranger
Love all the pics!

--I miss snow

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to xpkranger
I see you stopped in Scottdale taking pictures. You didn't happen to go a street over from the steel mill there to Woodland Ave? Would love to have seen what my old house looked like covered in snow. It figures it would snow when I leave. Based on your pictures you seem to frequent the same areas I did, mind if I ask where you live?

xpkranger
Premium
Atlanta, GA

1 edit
Sorry, I didn't make it over to Woodland. I stayed on Clarendon until 'downtown' Avondale Estates, where I had to detour down by the lake. I had to go from my house (which is near the intersection of Lavista & Briarlake over to my Mom's (to bring some de-icer for her sidewalk), who lives in Forrest Hills. I grew up near Fernbank Elementary. I've moved out of Atlanta several times, but I always wind up back in the Dekalb County near Decatur for some reason. Guess it just feels like home to me. I hear Tuscon is nice though!

How long did you live in Atlanta?
--
My pics:

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
I've actually lived in Atlanta all my life. I was born in Dekalb Medical (twas Dekalb General back in 85 though I think). I lived in that house on Woodland since I was 4 or 5. It was actually the same house my dad and his brothers/sisters grew up in. I just moved to Tucson with my mom, dad and aunt on my dad's side last August with plans to start a business. So far it isn't working out that well but we're managing.

There's a good chance we saw each other at some point, I had a rather recognizable truck. Up until a year ago I drove a red and black 95 Dodge Ram 1500 that had "DODGETRUCKS.ORG" on the back window. I now drive a silver 07 Dodge Ram 2500 but it doesn't have anything on it (I've got another sticker somewhere but there's no telling where it is now). My neighbor has my 95 truck now and for all I know it still has the sticker on it so if you see it around it's not me anymore.

xpkranger
Premium
Atlanta, GA
Actually, I think I may have seen your truck around. That does sound familiar. I'm something of a Mopar truck & car fan myself. I'm on my 4th Dodge at this point (still driving an '01 Dakota Quad Cab SLT) but this one was my favorite:

Custom 400 CID, 4bbl Carter ThermoQuad, headers, no catalytic converter. 8 MPG.
Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Fast off the line, scary as hell after 75 MPH.
Photo is circa 1991. Sold in 1994.

--
My pics:

xpkranger
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to JoelC707
...and you're right, it was Dekalb General. I'm dating myself now, but I remember when Dekalb General had a very large sloping grass front yard, with a helipad near the top.

(Also, the VA hospital had a similar helipad in front of it. I remember seeing Huey's take off and land there.)

I think both of those were pre-'85 though.
--
My pics:

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to xpkranger
Well if you ever want to get back in the Mopar arena or just want to talk with others we'd love to see you on the board. »www.dodgetrucks.org. We don't really care what you drive, we've got people that have gone over to Ford and GMC that still hang around.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to xpkranger
Yeah I've just heard it was called Dekalb General, it's been Dekalb Medical for as long as I can remember. In the case of DMC now, the helipad is on the roof and the large grass front yard has had yet more buildings put on it. There's still a small courtyard there in front but I don't think there's any grass left except around the curb.