spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mhall2000
join:2009-03-01
Providence, KY

mhall2000

Dsl Availabiltiy

I was wondering how the phone company prequalifies a line for dsl. I live in a rural area in western ky and am about 17,500 feet from the telephone office. My neighbors can get dsl 1.5 mbps. However, they have been able to get it for at least a couple of years before I moved in the area. Their address is 3140 where mine is 3130 which is closer to the office. I thought maybe since my address was a corn field a few years ago, the engineers put a limit on the availabiltiy of dsl since the nearest neighbor is over a mile farther away. Any thoughts

rwallace1964
@bellsouth.net

rwallace1964

Anon

ATT has a program which checks the address and phone number. They can also check the local loop properties using "LENS" to see if there are any bridge taps, length, wire size and type.

In your area, they may not have any DSL ports available in the DSLAM that serves your location (aka, it is filled up). see »Verizon DSL FAQ »Definitions for the definitions's of the terms.

tel601
join:2005-08-11
Picayune, MS

tel601 to mhall2000

to mhall2000
There are a few other things which also which are also checked. If your line is a non ATT line it will normally come show not qualified in the Loop Qualification System (LQS). One thing that is checked in LENS and other systems is to see if the pairs are marked as having a load coil in the loop, these kill dsl. Part of the info that is checked by LQS is a resistance code for the the terminal your line is served out of. If the resistance code is incorrect or your line shows to be served out of the wrong terminal it can cause issues with this. If you have a good idea that you should be able to get adsl and do not show qualified on the web site the best thing is to ask a tech if you see one working in the area and find out for sure. If it is a records error the tech might be able to get a engineer to correct it