spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LedZeppelin
join:2009-03-03
Montreal, QC

LedZeppelin

Sympatico E-mail Settings in Eudora Client Version 7.1.0.9

I need help setting up my Eudora Client Version 7.1.0.9 on WinXP. I am using a "Sponsored Mode" which is completely free, except there is no tech support from Qualcomm on it. I also use AVG Version 7.557 for anti-virus. I use Bell Internet Max 10 (which stands for Maximum Inconvenience and being soaked at 10th level !)

Ever since Bell Sympatico server log-on problem on/around Feb 9 2009, I could no longer use Eudora to access my e-mails. (( But I have several other e-mail addresses for my work using other ISPs, and they all work fine at that same time, and continuously ... [touch wood] - Never a serious problem with Eudora & these ISPs )).

I had called up Sympatico Support in the early morning of Feb 10, after many run-arounds and hours on the support line and chat-line, finally I was told that I need to change my server settings from POP6 to POPhm, and SMTP1 to SMTPhm. Then I changed them all in Eudora, and it is still not working since that incident. >>>I have been using Sympatico and Eudora since 1998.

I called Sympatico Support a day later, and was told that they cannot help me with setting up/changing settings in Eudora. And I have to use their Windows IE Client - effectively changing all the functions to behave like hotmail ! I set up Outlook Express just for my Sympatico accounts and they worked fine BUT IT IS JUST A NUISANCE having to log on to Outlook Express and Eudora for my e-mails, and I cannot easily exchange file attachments between Outlook & Eudora, and much less flexibility with files attachments inside Outlook (which was one of the reasons I picked Eudora long time ago - when I was with another ISP [InterLog] in 1995).

The error message I got using Eudora and the Sympatico 'hm' server settings was "Error reading from Network - Connection Aborted due to timeout or other failures (10053)".

Is there anyone of you good people who can help me to configure Eudora with the Sympatico settings once again.

Appreciate it very much!

LZ

Gil
@dsl.bell.ca

Gil

Anon

For Eudora setup see here:
»forums.bell.ca/viewtopic ··· e2393145

As for timeout problems, welcome to the club:
»forums.bell.ca/viewtopic ··· 1b6f4e7c
(if you can read french)

I am sort of glad to know that my problem is not that I use an old version of Eudora...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to LedZeppelin

Premium Member

to LedZeppelin
Here is my 2c (and I've been a Eudora user since v2.2).
Make the setup with Outlook express (it really makes no difference) and then copy the POP SMTP settings into Eudora.

It's not the client, Eudora is ROCK SOLID (but they are going to make it too OEish with the Penelope project (v8) which I personally can't stand
LedZeppelin
Montreal, QC

LedZeppelin

Thanks, elwoodblues,

I need your step-by-step instruction on how to copy settings from Outlook Express to Eudora.

Appreciate much !!!!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Can't really help you there. I don't use OE nor am I on Bell I use a third party to host my email for me.

I would suggest that when you call Sympatico support, and they tell you the SMTP and POP settings, your write them down, and alter the personality in Eudora.

Unknonw
@mc.videotron.ca

Unknonw to LedZeppelin

Anon

to LedZeppelin
Theses are the settings usualy...
»service.sympatico.ca/ind ··· ent.view
LedZeppelin
Montreal, QC

LedZeppelin to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
elwoodblues,
I have the settings as follows:
POP : pophm.sympatico.ca
PORT 995
SMTP: smtp.sympatico.ca
PORT 25.
I have a hard time following the Eudora document which talks about changing PORT for a specific 'persona' (which is my default persona). I am not doing a global PORT change for all my other e-mail persona because that will disable me sending and receiving e-mails with the other persona.

I just need help to change the PORT settings for the default persona, and see if it works.

Appreciate your help so far.

IS THERE ANY EUDORA USER WITH THE SYMPATICO E-MAIL ?

zeitgeist
No relation with the movies
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01

zeitgeist to LedZeppelin

Premium Member

to LedZeppelin

Getting Started

POP Settings

SMTP Settings
Go to Tools -> Options... and carefully replicate these settings, changing "example@sympatico.ca" with your own Sympatico email address.

For incoming, make sure to select "Required, Alternate Port". For outgoing, select "Required, STARTTLS".
Otherwise, you might get cryptic timeout error messages on send/check.

Hope this helps Gil too.
LedZeppelin
Montreal, QC

LedZeppelin

ZEITGEIST

YOUR SUGGESTION WORKS !!!!!
(After changing the settings, I got a Security Certificate error message, replied yes to go ahead, and it works fine, both for sending and receiving e-mails).

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH.

Gil
@dsl.bell.ca

Gil to zeitgeist

Anon

to zeitgeist
said by zeitgeist:

Go to Tools -> Options... and carefully replicate these settings, changing "example@sympatico.ca" with your own Sympatico email address.

For incoming, make sure to select "Required, Alternate Port". For outgoing, select "Required, STARTTLS".
Otherwise, you might get cryptic timeout error messages on send/check.

Hope this helps Gil too.
I rechecked my settings with your example, and I still get the timeout messages on attached documents, EXCEPT if the sender is sender@hotmail.com

Seems logical, nothing actually moves very much...

I would like to know eventually if LedZeppelin has the same problem receiving emails with attachments.
LedZeppelin
Montreal, QC

LedZeppelin

Gil,
I tried attaching a pdf document (233 KB) to an e-mail via a real address (not @hotmail/gmail etc) to and from a Sympatico.ca e-mail address.

No problem SENDING. No problem RECEIVING.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

Premium Member

to LedZeppelin
The settings shown are for a primary account, you can still have many more accounts (or personalities in Eudoraspeak) with different information.

However being on Sympatico, none of those other personalities can use a mail server that sits on Port 25

Gil
@dsl.bell.ca

Gil to LedZeppelin

Anon

to LedZeppelin
said by LedZeppelin:

Gil,
I tried attaching a pdf document (233 KB) to an e-mail via a real address (not @hotmail/gmail etc) to and from a Sympatico.ca e-mail address.

No problem SENDING. No problem RECEIVING.

Thank you very much for reporting this...
Unfortunately I still get timeout messages if I try sending a test email with attachment from my Gmail account...

I guess I am left alone in my club of frustrated Eudora 5.1 users!

zeitgeist
Premium Member

zeitgeist

Premium Member

said by Gil :

Well, 5.1 is really ancient. You might want to upgrade to 7.1. Its interface is not very different from 5.1, you'll feel right at home.

Gil
@dsl.bell.ca

Gil

Anon

said by zeitgeist:

said by Gil :

Well, 5.1 is really ancient. You might want to upgrade to 7.1. Its interface is not very different from 5.1, you'll feel right at home.
Well...thank you very much for that suggestion! I am a bit ashamed now to have annoyed people with this problem.

It's my fault really since I have been using version 5.1 in paid mode for so long, I didn't want to change or buy something different.

But looking at the site along with the setup images you loaded showed me that it is really, as you say, quite similar...and free.

In fact, I just had to download, install and make it point to the same user directory I use for mailboxes, and it worked right away. I didn't even have to set it up!

I tried again the same Gmail test, and no timeout with this version.

Danke Schön Zeitgeist!

zeitgeist
Premium Member

zeitgeist

Premium Member

Bitte schön, Gil, glad that's settled.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

Premium Member

to LedZeppelin
Glad to hear it worked. Yes 5.1 is pretty long in the tooth.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 edit

sbrook

Mod

Newer versions of Eudora didn't do a lot that was of benefit. They added features that broke things.

I used Eudora for years, but had problems with cascaded multipart messages so had to change because development had stopped.

I couldn't find an email client that I was happy with ... and I can't say that I like the latest one at all ... it behaves like a Eudora-skinned Thunderbird.

I've used Pegasus for about 2 years now ... it has issues but for the most part it hasn't let me down.

While 5.1 might have been long in the tooth, newer isn't necessarily better.

zeitgeist
Premium Member

zeitgeist

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

While 5.1 might have been long in the tooth, newer isn't necessarily better.
Well, the newer version solved the poster's problem and that's all that counts.
POPmailer
join:2008-12-14
Laval, QC

POPmailer to LedZeppelin

to LedZeppelin
Hey Zep,

Just noticed your thread here and, with out reading it all in detail (it's late), here's the last entry from my past string chasing the same problem back in December...
----------------------------------------------
Re: E-mail problems resolved for me

Finally got Eudora email working with the dreaded HM server!!!

So far, after trying many other combinations, I've added the following lines to the Eudora.ini file...

POPSSLAlternatePort=995
SMTPSSLAlternatePort=25
IMAPSSLAlternatePort=993

and selected [Required, Alternate Port] for Receiving SSL authentication and [If Available, STARTTSL] for Sending in the usual Options panel.
-----------------------------------------------

That's what finally got it working.
Cheers