uniqs

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Using your own router with uVerse

How do I go about using my own router with uVerse? What would be the easiest way so that I maintain the interface with the gateway behind the router?

Hookem99
Deep In The Heart
join:2007-07-18
Pflugerville, TX

Hookem99

said by trparky:

How do I go about using my own router with uVerse? What would be the easiest way so that I maintain the interface with the gateway behind the router?
I have not had good luck doing this, but you'll need to put the router on the DMZ, and I recommend you also disable the wireless in the at&t RG. The RG cannot, (to my knowledge) be behind another router! Good Luck!

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

The other key to this besides DMZ is not having it on the same IP scheme. So for example the RG is 192.168.1.1 make your router 192.168.2.1

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Can I still maintain access to the web page configuration tool of the gateway even with my own router?

Hookem99
Deep In The Heart
join:2007-07-18
Pflugerville, TX

Hookem99 to gdm

to gdm
said by gdm:

The other key to this besides DMZ is not having it on the same IP scheme. So for example the RG is 192.168.1.1 make your router 192.168.2.1
Thanks GDM, I forgot about that!

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm to trparky

MVM

to trparky
Yes you can if you do what I said.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Good, because I have a DIR-655 and I'd like to continue using it.

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored
join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

Alakar to trparky

to trparky
I had the same question. I'm getting Uverse installed on 3/11 and I want to keep using my Buffalo router.

So correct me if I'm not understanding what needs to be done.

- RG hooks to line coming into the house

- Disable wireless on RG

- Buffalo router hooks up downstream from RG (Outside Line >> RG >> Buffalo router)

- Make sure IP of router is different from IP of RG (RG 192.168.0.1 - Buffalo 192.168.1.1)

One more question, should the RG and the Buffalo router be on the same sub-net (255.255.255.0)?

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Subnet is fine just different IP schemes. You also need to put the third party router in DMZ mode from the RG.

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

1 edit

cp to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
I just did this today with success to my surprise.

My current router is using the 192.168.1.0/24 scheme. On this router I have many port forwards set up and QoS settings. As many of you may know, the U-Verse RG does not have any QoS functionality.

1) I changed the local IP address on the RG from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.2.254

2) I plugged the RG into the WAN port of my router.

3) Set the WAN port of my router to pull an IP address via DHCP

4) Set my router to DMZplus mode in the RG.

5) Power cycled my router and found that the WAN pulled a public IP address from the RG.

So far so good. DYNDNS has been working correctly. All of my custom ports I set up to forward are working. I would recommend disabling the wireless in the RG so no one accidentally connects to it. Good Luck!

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium Member
join:1999-12-06
Raleigh, NC

scots to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
Mine did everything pretty much automatically. The RG was on 192.168.1.1 and my router was already on 192.168.0.1. I plugged my router into the RG, and the first time I tried to access the internet on a computer that was connected to my router I got a web page from the RG. I forget the exact message that came up, but the RG could tell that I had a router connected to it. There was a button for me to click on. I clicked on the button and it put my router into the DMZ+ for me and then told me to restart my router. I restarted my router, and everything has been working great.