how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wkhhw

join:2009-03-03
Clover, SC

HughesNet vs ATT Broadband card????

Hey guys! I am one of the many that are out in the boonies with only 2 options. Currently I am using an ATT broadband USB card to connect to work via VPN as well as general home use off VPN web surfing. I am able to do the work I need to without to much delay but am wondering if satellite would be faster than this card? Satellite also would allow me to have multiple connections instead of just what I have the card plugged into.

I know that most reviews on the satellite solution are bad but again I only have 2 options to choose from so I need to make the best decision possible.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Wade

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

I don't use VPN but I think you might need a static IP to be happy and you might want to look here.
»www.gethughesnet.com/faqs.cfm
--
9000 spaceway III, 7000S SatMex 5 1270, Dlink wirless

wkhhw

Clover, SC

Yeah I did read up on that. Some have said they get decent performance with VPN over satellite. It says between 50-75% reduction in performance but I am wondering where that will put me compared to the broadband card. I think I heard somewhere that the card I had even on the "G" network is only about 56k.

Thanks
Wade

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

VPNs vary, some need a public IP and some do not. I use one that doesn't need it.

When I'm in an EvDO area, my Sprint air card provides very good VPN performance. In 1xRTT areas it is really poor, hardly worth using. I see latency of up to 1000ms in those areas.

My iDirect satellite system works well with VPN, but the latency makes it about 1/3 the performance of the EvDO air card.

VPN over my Hughes connection simply stinks. Last resort, and rarely used. That connection is as fast as the EvDO card, and more than half the speed of the iDirect connection, but the very high (and variable) latency is the problem.

Speed isn't everything, or even the most important thing, when it comes to VPN.
--
W2K Server|Toshiba Satellite XP Pro|iDirect 3100 on Datastorm 1.2 meter XF3 with 4-watt BUC|HughesNet G28/1070/7000s Pro on 2-watt Datastorm G74|Sprint Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of PC-OPI and DSSatTool

lastmile

join:2007-09-08
Robertsville, MO
reply to wkhhw

In my experience with IPSec VPN, Satellite is fair at best, about 1-2x dialup speeds and that was with Wildblue. Hughes may be a small improvement due to a little better latency.

If your able to get 3G, it is a good improvement for VPN as opposed to Satellite.

You could try to get a compatible mobile broadband router to share the USB connection over several computers. I'm using an Cradlepoint MBR1000 with 3G usb card and I wouldn't consider going back to Satellite as its much better if you can handle 5GB caps.

I have VPN / non-VPN stats in my review of AT&T 3G, »Review of Cingular Wireless by lastmile

Pesimist

join:2007-07-09
Valley, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to wkhhw

Don't bet on Hughes for VPN, I couldn't get my VPN client to work with them, although some folk's have. And Hughes sure won't help you resolve problems with VPN - they proudly state that in their brochures that they don't guarantee anything relating to VPN.

wkhhw

Clover, SC
reply to lastmile

lastmile,

You see better reception \ performance if you use the Cradlepoint MBR1000 with 3G usb card?? I work from home with my AT&T card now fairly efficiently but the fact that I am tied to a single laptop sucks. I have full bars where I am but on the edge of the 3G. verizon is pretty much useless where I am even though it says I am in their 3G area.

If the router will increase the performance a little as well as allow me to connect multiple machines then that may be the way to go.

Thoughts???

Thanks
Wade

HughesNet1

join:2009-02-26
Ft. Lauderda
kudos:1
reply to wkhhw

Stick with what you have if it works well cause theres a good chance satellite will give you a lot of problems

lastmile

join:2007-09-08
Robertsville, MO
reply to wkhhw

wkhhw --

I don't believe the MBR1000 router will help improve the signal reception of the USB card itself. The only thing it would enable you to do is move it around your home to find a better reception spot.

I'm using Mercury USB (Sierra Wireless Compass 885U) that has an external antenna jack to improve the reception.

Several people in these forums know of other amplifiers or boosters that may assist with your reception. There may also be a few routers that fall into that category but I'm not sure.

Regards

bastnpny

join:2008-05-26
Morgan, TX
reply to wkhhw

I am also a Sierra Wireless customer. I could not stand the ethics of Hughesnet any longer. And, I live so far out that it is a bit slower but so worth NOT having to deal with hughesnet. I do like the fact that I can take my laptop anywhere and be online.