spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NIS2009User

@anonymouse.org

Norton adds "Safe Search" (aka Ask Search) to IE & Firefox

It happened; Norton seem to of added Ask Search to both Firefox and Internet Explorer's quick searches.

I'm not exactly sure when Norton did this, but I may assume it was with their latest product update- 16.5.0.134 (»community.norton.com/norton/boar···id=36621), which my NIS just updated to just a little while ago.

No questions asked, just found Firefox's one by accident, and decided to see if Internet Explorer and Opera had one, which only IE did.

SafireDonkey
Premium
join:2006-10-29

LOL! Those chaps are sooooo original !

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH
reply to NIS2009User

In "view" just uncheck the tool bar, problem solved.

I don't see a big deal here.

Nimbus
Premium
join:2008-11-27
Moreno Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to NIS2009User

Click on the Norton name on the toolbar and uncheck "Show Search Box" in the dropdown menu.

ryanlin2002

join:2009-02-01
reply to NIS2009User

this is not acceptable if it didn't ask for permission to install it.

NIS2009User

@anonymouse.org
reply to NIS2009User

Thanks for pointing out that the Norton tool bars also have now integrated the 'Ask Search'. I wasn't aware of this, as I have them both already disabled.

But just to clarify on what I was referring to (in my post), when I mentioned "quick searches".

said by ryanlin2002:

this is not acceptable if it didn't ask for permission to install it.
Exactly.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to NIS2009User

Wouldn't it just be a lot easier instead of disabling the toolbar via the View menu, to go to Addons and uninstall/disable it completely?

Candoo3

join:2005-01-24
reply to NIS2009User

I was wondering where the freakin thing came from. Nice that WE were asked if WE wanted it installed.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NIS2009User

I agree. I didn't know how the heck it got in my browser or what the heck it was, but I know I didn't like it. Scared me. It is now disabled and will remain that way forever simply because they didn't tell me what they were doing and "ask" if it was OK. This is an horrendous breach of faith for a security company. They should have asked first. On second thought, I guess we have all been "Asked".

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
reply to NIS2009User

as long it is not made default overriding what i chose in the first place

Cudni

Hangetsu

join:2007-12-22
West Chester, PA

It doesnt override the browser search, and can be turned off in the menu bar.

starfish8

join:2004-06-30
reply to NIS2009User

Safe Search seems to be a new feature that works with Google as well as Ask.com. When I do a Google search I get the green check marks next to the web links just like the ones in Ask.com. Seems like a good feature.

Hangetsu

West Chester, PA

From what I remember in beta, SafeWeb (what does the green/yellow/red checks) is different than the Ask.com SafeSearch. Apparently the latter gives you additional safeguards from Ask.com, if you so choose. SafeWeb is a Norton-specific technology similar to McAfee's SiteAdvisor.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to NIS2009User

I knew there was a reason i dumped Norton

Norton has installed spyware on your system without your permission...wonderful...yes Toolbars are spyware. Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar, Alexa Toolbar, are all spyware...they tell those search engine companies about every site you vist....think Google Anaylitics on Steriods....

The "least" invasive toolbar is the Windows Live Toolbar because you can go under options and "opt out" of the Customer Improvement program AND you are asked when Windows Live Toolbar is installed if you want to participate or not.

I don't have the Windows Live Toolbar installed, but if i were to use a toolbar, its the only 1 i would use and atleast it is somewhat useful

Norton is making money at your expense...Norton gets X amount of dollars for each toolbar they foist on their users...to bad you were never asked if you wanted it or not...and it probably won't let you remove it either

I would call them and cancel and demand a refund...that is unacceptable...if you ran a small shop, or something simlair, this is violation of acceptable software polcies put into place in many small coffee shops and what not...

companies who foist these things on users without their explicit consent is deplorable...so they decide to update your NIS and foist a toolbar on ya? gotta be kidding me!

Atleast McAfee gives you a "choice" if you want their site advisor toolbar and what not...I don't even like McAfee but atleast they give you a choice...unbelievable...

VikingBob

Ste Anne, MB

1 recommendation

reply to NIS2009User

The Symantec response, as seen at »community.norton.com/norton/boar···id=37098

I’d like to clarify that the search box you see is a new security feature of the Norton Toolbar called Safe Search—not a third party application or toolbar. Please rest assured that no third-party toolbar was installed on your PC by Norton Internet Security 2009.

Safe Search is included as part of Norton Safe Web, a new Web site rating feature we have introduced in Norton 360v3 and integrated into Norton Internet Security 2009. Safe Web annotates Google, Yahoo and Live.com search results with site safety ratings to warn users about sites that may pose a danger to them. It also includes eCommerce safety ratings to help users make safer online shopping decisions.

Symantec partnered with Ask.com on Safe Search to offer users a safer search experience. In addition to embedding Norton Safe Web’s site safety ratings directly into the search results, it automatically filters out dangerous sites by default. Users have the option of changing the default settings to view the unfiltered results but will be warned before visiting sites that can infect their PCs. You can find more information about Safe Search here: »norton.com/safesearch and more about the Norton Toolbar here: »www.symantec.com/norton/products···s2009_ss.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state

Exactly as i figured symantec would say, even though I am smart enough to know they are lying

Do you really think Symantec Partnered with Ask.com out of the goodness of their hearts? or with "your" best intentions at heart?

It goes down like this

Ask gets "increased" traffic from Norton users

In return, Norton gets a cut of the advertising revenue made my norton users who click on Ask.com Sponsered links in the search engine....doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure all this out

All the while what does it cost the customer? oh nothing much, Except your privacy....LOL!

i am so glad I dumped them

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to VikingBob

What an unholy thing! Surely all of you are going to dump Norton! That is really sick and to lie like Symantec is lying? I knew when I trialed NIS 2009 that it was a sorry piece of garbage and with this crap added...well, all I can say is thank goodness for Avira! Of course, that tool bar, partnered with Ask.com, is there to mine your data. (Ask.com is one of the worst sites on the internet if you refuse to allow cookies. They are very persistent about trying to mine your data if you go to that site). Plus, how could anyone allow somebody else to filter out whatever sites they decide you shouldn't see? That is awful! Talk about censorship! We don't need the Aussie government to censor the internet why we will, like lambs to the slaughter, willing let Symantec filter the internet under the Daddy Knows Best guise of being "safe".

Whatever happened to an ANTIVIRUS APPLICATION that is supposed to stop viruses from executing on the user's computer? These companies are stepping WAY WAY WAY over the bounds of what users install them to do. Norton nor any other AV should be filtering websites, rating them, etc. That is not an AV's job. I guess Norton is INCAPABLE of stopping viruses from executing so Symantec had to come up with the trick to make you think Norton is a decent AV. Where is Symantec's classic HIPS? That is what is needed rather than censoring the internet for the user.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

Hangetsu

West Chester, PA

1 recommendation

Wow, some serious FUD here...

I initially freaked out about this, but following my own tests during beta (as well as public comment by their devs on the beta boards), Im comfortable that they do NOT send any information to Ask.com unless you use the Ask.com Secure Search.

Its a simple option click to turn off via the Norton toolbar.

Does it concern me? Yes, I don't want this extra crap in there. In particular, I worry it might be an experiment to see if people accept it before moving on to what you've suggested, i.e. sharing information with Ask.com no matter what search engine you use.

However, that's NOT the case right now, and saying it is would be incorrect. Per Symantec, the only time information goes to Ask.com is if you use that search field.

starfish8

1 edit

said by Hangetsu:

Per Symantec, the only time information goes to Ask.com is if you use that search field.
What type of information is being sent to Ask.com? And what about the AskEraser? I thought that was supposed delete personal information.

Hangetsu

West Chester, PA

Only the actual request is sent, I asked this during beta on their community site and got that response.

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to NIS2009User

The point is it should not be included with
a security software program plain and simple folks
does anyone get it...

VikingBob

Ste Anne, MB

1 recommendation

Anybody here heard of WOT or SiteAdvisor? Ring any bells?

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
reply to hayc59

said by hayc59:

The point is it should not be included with a security software program plain and simple folks
Gordon, agreed.

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08

1 recommendation

reply to NIS2009User

Apparently Symantec disagrees.....

I really don't see what the big deal is here... I guess paranoia runs rampant.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub

said by Kerodo:

Apparently Symantec disagrees.....

I really don't see what the big deal is here... I guess paranoia runs rampant.
Common customer don't ask for or want toolbars in (payed) software. They pay for a decent product and therefore rely on the absence of e.g. toolbars. That you call such paranoia is your opinion. IMO in payed software is no room for toolbars, and for sure not in security software.
--
Smokey's Security Forums »www.smokey-services.eu/forum/
Smokey's Security Weblog »smokeys.wordpress.com/
Site Member ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

starfish8

1 recommendation

reply to NIS2009User

I happen to think that Safe Web is great. Norton is leveraging the tons of data they collect via Community Watch to provide us with safety ratings for most webs sites. I like seeing those green check marks before I click on a new link returned by a Google search. What's not to like about safety ratings for websites based on real, up to date information? What's the downside here?

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub

said by starfish8:

I like seeing those green check marks before I click on a new link returned by a Google search. What's not to like about safety ratings for websites based on real, up to date information? What's the downside here?
Nothing wrong with that, however it should be up to the customer to activate that feature.
--
Smokey's Security Forums »www.smokey-services.eu/forum/
Smokey's Security Weblog »smokeys.wordpress.com/
Site Member ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

Kerodo

said by Smokey Bear:

said by starfish8:

I like seeing those green check marks before I click on a new link returned by a Google search. What's not to like about safety ratings for websites based on real, up to date information? What's the downside here?
Nothing wrong with that, however it should be up to the customer to activate that feature.
It is, you can turn it off any time....

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

said by Kerodo:

The user should not have to turn it off. It should NOT be there by default. If the user wants it then they should have to install it. There is a HUGE difference between the two.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

Kerodo

said by Mele20:

said by Kerodo:

The user should not have to turn it off. It should NOT be there by default. If the user wants it then they should have to install it. There is a HUGE difference between the two.
Again, you're assuming there's something wrong with it. I don't see the problem.