spc
uniqs
lastmile4
join:2007-09-08
Robertsville, MO

lastmile4 to wkhhw

to wkhhw

Re: HughesNet vs ATT Broadband card????

In my experience with IPSec VPN, Satellite is fair at best, about 1-2x dialup speeds and that was with Wildblue. Hughes may be a small improvement due to a little better latency.

If your able to get 3G, it is a good improvement for VPN as opposed to Satellite.

You could try to get a compatible mobile broadband router to share the USB connection over several computers. I'm using an Cradlepoint MBR1000 with 3G usb card and I wouldn't consider going back to Satellite as its much better if you can handle 5GB caps.

I have VPN / non-VPN stats in my review of AT&T 3G, »Review of Cingular Wireless by lastmile4
wkhhw
join:2009-03-03
Clover, SC

wkhhw

lastmile,

You see better reception \ performance if you use the Cradlepoint MBR1000 with 3G usb card?? I work from home with my AT&T card now fairly efficiently but the fact that I am tied to a single laptop sucks. I have full bars where I am but on the edge of the 3G. verizon is pretty much useless where I am even though it says I am in their 3G area.

If the router will increase the performance a little as well as allow me to connect multiple machines then that may be the way to go.

Thoughts???

Thanks
Wade
lastmile4
join:2007-09-08
Robertsville, MO

lastmile4

wkhhw --

I don't believe the MBR1000 router will help improve the signal reception of the USB card itself. The only thing it would enable you to do is move it around your home to find a better reception spot.

I'm using Mercury USB (Sierra Wireless Compass 885U) that has an external antenna jack to improve the reception.

Several people in these forums know of other amplifiers or boosters that may assist with your reception. There may also be a few routers that fall into that category but I'm not sure.

Regards