All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bella b
@rr.com

bella b

Anon

Why is the ny state tax return taking so long?

I have waited 6 weeks know and still have not got any word on my state refund status I check the website and all it says is that it is being processed and no further information at this time. What is going on

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

No money in the state coffers to pay out. States are delaying payments to build Interest on your money that you overpaid them.

Irun Man
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18
Millsboro, DE

1 edit

Irun Man to bella b

Premium Member

to bella b
The fastest I have EVER gotten a NYS Income Tax refund was about 30 days, even with e-file.

The Empire State is facing a cash flow issue ATM, and it is widely expected that tax refund payments will be delayed even further. Your best bet is to call up your representative in the state assembly and ask them to "rattle the cage" at Tax & Finance. I expect very few (if any) refunds will go out before the budget is passed.

Lucky me; I owe money to Uncle King David this go round, and I have NO plans to file before April 15.

icp1
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Saint Louis, MO

icp1 to bella b

Premium Member

to bella b
sorry to hear that -- i got my missouri refund in 3 days !

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

runnoft to bella b

Premium Member

to bella b
California was known to be delaying refunds this year because of budget issues:
»apnews.myway.com/article ··· 6O0.html
(though now that they finally passed a budget, it may or may not still be an issue there)

New York denied that they were delaying refunds in this story dated February 24th though there are other taxpayers there complaining about the same thing:
»www.9wsyr.com/mostpopula ··· N1A.cspx

nklb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI

nklb to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z
said by Greg_Z:

No money in the state coffers to pay out. States are delaying payments to build Interest on your money that you overpaid them.
If there is no money in the coffers, how are they earning interest?

runnoft
Premium Member
Nags Head, NC

runnoft to bella b

Premium Member

to bella b
...and if you think this is a problem this year, it's only likely to get worse if the economy continues to deteriorate. Many states have severely out-of-whack budgets and bleaker future projections, and states can't just print money the way the feds can. Everybody who's getting substantial tax refunds should consider adjusting their withholding so that they are not dependent on getting a tax refund quickly in future years.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to bella b

to bella b
Which State you are referring to would be nice.
I got my State(Ohio) refund in about a week.

runnoft
Premium Member
Nags Head, NC

runnoft to bella b

Premium Member

to bella b
She said: New York. (See thread title)

CatSnak
Live to Ride
Premium Member
join:2001-05-06
Ashland, OR

CatSnak to bella b

Premium Member

to bella b
Be glad you're not in CA! We're not likely to ever get ours. Rumor has it that if your CA refund is over $100 dollors the state is going to isue an IOU and with the state economy the way it is I seriosly doubt those IOUs will be worth the paper they're printed on.

runnoft
Premium Member
Nags Head, NC

runnoft

Premium Member

Yeah but if California does that, and you're sticking around and will still be earning taxable income in 2009, just adjust your California withholding so you'd owe them the refund amount.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek to bella b

to bella b
i got my check fast from NY State

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to nklb

Premium Member

to nklb
There is money that is there, but not that they can use for programs & etc.
Greg_Z

Greg_Z to runnoft

Premium Member

to runnoft
That is a ridiculous statement. Why get penalties, just because you are pissed that you overpaid them, and they will not send you your money. That is the same as those people that think that they are getting a windfall of money, which was extra given out of their paycheck, and if the Government wanted to, they could place a freeze on all returns until they decide that they earned enough interest on your free loan.

myself
@optonline.net

myself to bella b

Anon

to bella b
I don't know why, i filed end of january to avoid any delays but there s no word on my return. this is totally ridiculous. NY state is usually good with this. Gov patterson why don t u get up and do some actual work. especilly with the way the economy is doing right now..i want my darn money NOW! the state doesn t take time to withhold the money every month, but it s time to give back...it s BS

runnoft
Premium Member
Nags Head, NC

runnoft to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z
said by Greg_Z See Profile, replying apparently to my suggestion to lower withholding if the state won't pay the refund they owe you :

That is a ridiculous statement. Why get penalties, just because you are pissed that you overpaid them, and they will not send you your money.
Greg, why are you assuming somebody who set withholding lower to cover the refund they never got would be penalized? There shouldn't be any penalties. Say the state owes Joe a $400 refund and don't pay it. Joe would still get the refund as a de facto credit towards taxes due the following year, just the same as he always is given an option, when he has a refund, to apply it to taxes due in a following year. The state can't wipe out their debt to Joe just because they don't have cash to pay it out. But if he leaves his withholding just as high, and his income and taxes owed remain the same, he's going to face the same situation next year. We're in agreement: he needs to set his state withholding lower. Not TOO low, or then he'd owe penalties.

NoRefundWNY

Anon

I e-filed for direct deposit January 28. I still have not heard one thing and this week makes 6 weeks. The website still says it's being processed and the 800 number says the same thing. I'm not getting a big refund but if I am being audited or they are keeping my money for some reason the least they could do is send a letter out!

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis to bella b

Premium Member

to bella b
My state income tax refund is...
Oh wait..
We don't pay state income tax!
The best part is, it takes a constitutional ammendment, voted on by the citizens to impose a state income tax.
God bless Texas...

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

1 recommendation

Greg_Z

Premium Member

You just have higher property taxes, and taxes on goods. So where is the blessing.

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
·AT&T FTTP

fatmanskinny

Premium Member

said by Greg_Z:

You just have higher property taxes, and taxes on goods. So where is the blessing.
That is exactly what my brother and his wife say all the time. "We don't have State taxes but they screw us royally with property taxes." They live outside of Houston and their property taxes are extremely high.

Thespis
Premium Member
Keller, TX

Thespis to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z
said by Greg_Z:

You might be surprised.
Illinois has a higher effective sales tax. The rate is almost the same, but Texas exempts more items. You pay .1 percent tax on food and prescriptions; we pay 0.
Illinois has twice as much tax on gasoline than Texas.
Here's the surprising part: Illinois homeowners pay a higher effective property tax rate than Texans!
»articles.moneycentral.ms ··· ank.aspx
»articles.moneycentral.ms ··· xes.aspx
... and we still don't pay state income tax.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

Only in Chi-Town, not the rest of the state.

Zen6
@rr.com

Zen6 to myself

Anon

to myself
NY is absolutely the worst state for taxes. NY is where communism is alive and well. 300$ more for welfare recipients while workers get the bill, property taxes going up to support an out of control social disservices, and a governor who believes that we just increase taxes to pay for it all. Vote this asswipe out!

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by Zen6 :

NY is absolutely the worst state for taxes. NY is where communism is alive and well. 300$ more for welfare recipients while workers get the bill, property taxes going up to support an out of control social disservices, and a governor who believes that we just increase taxes to pay for it all. Vote this asswipe out!
You guys are truly being ripped off, that state is in a major state of disrepair...it's not even funny. I was under the impression that the state was a tax free state...just a drive in western new york...yeck.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to bella b

Premium Member

to bella b
NY is notoriously slow with refunds, this is nothing new. When filing NY, NJ and federal, NY has ALWAYS been the last of the three to issue refunds over the last 25 or so years I've lived here.

Thespis
Premium Member
Keller, TX

Thespis to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z
Did you read the links? The data is for the STATE tax burden.
Texas has a lower tax burden than Illinois.

plooter
@jillyred.net

plooter to bella b

Anon

to bella b
Ask your elected officials I'm sure they have a valid explanation.
I got a hard check 8 days after e filing.

God Bless Texas...
Monolith
join:2007-07-25
united state

Monolith to bella b

to bella b
NC is having budget problems as well. In past years it only has taken about 2 weeks to get my return. I finished my taxes and sent them in on 2/2, nothing yet. Big story on the news over the weekend, tax returns would be delayed this year, no ETA, but they hope to start sending them out soon.

BEAR00000
@aol.com

BEAR00000 to bella b

Anon

to bella b
Happen to me last year then sorry to say got letter AUDIT UGH didnt get my return until Mid Aug Bummerrrr

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

2 edits

Greg_Z to Thespis

Premium Member

to Thespis
State Sales Gas/gal. Cig./pack Beer/gal. State burden Rank State/Fed. burden Rank
Illinois 6.3% $0.40 $0.98 $0.19 10.8% 22 33.2% 14
Texas 6.25%* $0.20 $1.41 $0.19 9.3% 43 29.8% 41
*State collects a gross-receipts tax that is applied before the retail level.

BTW, IL fought and won to not allow the GRT, which the Good ole Republic of TX thinks is better, along with those other states.