denb45
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04
Albuquerque, NM

1 edit

denb45

Premium Member

FM-Relay-Switch and the Sirius XM Antenna

Do I need to install the Siruis XM Antenna on the top of my Truck, as well as the FM-relay-switch? even if I'm using my car antenna to get it on a FM-Radio-channel? I 'm a little confused, some say, you need both, but other installers only tell me I need only my car antenna, but, Sirius XM tech-support tells me I need both antennas.......is this correct? anyone know?

chucky5150
Divers do it Deeper
join:2001-11-03
New Iberia, LA

1 edit

chucky5150

you need to have some kind of an XM Antenna on the out side of your car.

your FM antenna will not help you get your XM signal

but at the same time I'm not too sure what your "FM-relay-switch" is. Google FTW.

Ok. the FM-relay-switch takes the XM signal and turns it into something usable by your FM radio. Yes, you need both.

If there is something you don't need any longer it would be your FM antenna.

Hope I am of some help.

denb45
Premium Member
Albuquerque, NM

2 edits

denb45

Premium Member

Nope I need both the car and the Sat-radio-outside antenna
denb45

4 edits

denb45 to chucky5150

Premium Member

to chucky5150
Without the Car Antenna, there would be no FM freqs to get, therefore, no Sirius XM, the reg car antenna cannot pick up the Sirius XM signal, it will only pick up FM the Sirius XM antenna picks up the sat-signal form the sky, then the Sat-Radio boardcast that to your FM Car antenna, so you need a open FM-Freq, all the FM-Direct-Relay does is stop all of the interference form other open-FM-signals, so the Sat-radio can send them to your car antenna to an open FM freq...

chucky5150
Divers do it Deeper
join:2001-11-03
New Iberia, LA

chucky5150

ah must work a little different than mine.

I don't have to pick up any FM signal per-say. It's all wired in.

Well, I take it you got it all working. Congrats.

denb45
Premium Member
Albuquerque, NM

3 edits

denb45

Premium Member

said by chucky5150:

ah must work a little different than mine.

I don't have to pick up any FM signal per-say. It's all wired in.

Well, I take it you got it all working. Congrats.
No not yet, Last night after waiting for the UPS guy all day long, he came at 9:30PM, so, it was too dark out, and too late for me to install anything......the FM-Relay is only a temporary fix for me, I need a aux-in-adapter
that connects to the back of my AM/FM/CD/MP3-Head-Unit it looks like this:

»www.myradiostore.com/sir ··· aux.html

this will allow me to play the Sat-Radio thur my Head-Unit by pressing the CD-button, it will turn that into an aux-in so I can get the REAL Digital Sound of Sirius XM the way it's suppose to be listen to, what I'm doing right now with the FM-Relay-hook-up will only give me FM-Quality-Sound, but that will have to do for now.......