Search similar:

uniqs
rizwan602
join:2004-03-20
Gilbert, AZ

rizwan602

[Other] Boost Mobile

Is it time to ditch Boost Mobile?

I ask this because as of 3 weeks of having a Boost Mobile phone, I am still not receiving text messages on time or at all.

Yesterday I was told by 3 people that they sent me text messages but only one of them showed up; and that was a few hours later.

I have been patient with Boost Mobile to fix this problem and it seemed for a week that they may have done it but now its back to the way it was.

I am *HIGHLY RECOMMENDING* that people stay away from Boost Mobile if text messages is of any importance to you. YOU WILL NOT HAVE RELIABLE TEXT MESSAGING AT ALL WITH BOOST MOBILE.

Should I hang on to the last straw as it seems with Boost or is it time to let go? I am on the $50 monthly unlimited plan.

My previous Cricket service was great; except they did not offer nationwide coverage in case I travelled. That and the fact that you can't really speak to someone at Cricket over the phone (lately, try it yourself) was the reason I switched.

I think I may have to go back to them. I just don't like big name carriers and all the crap they stuff into your bill after you pay them for service.

Rizwan

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

I think the pricing is fantastic for Boost IF you are able to achieve the value you place on their service.

For me, I like to send a lot of text messages so the inability to receive them reliably is a problem.

From what I have read here, Boost is powered by Nextel and Nextel has NEVER reliably delivered text messages to their users.
Something to consider....

How's the voice quality with Boost in your estimation?
rizwan602
Gilbert, AZ

rizwan602

The problem is not only receiving text messages but sending them. I've had people tell me they did not receive messages from me. How can a system that uses the NEXTEL's network be so crappy for such a simple thing?

The voice quality is excellent I will say. I have always liked GSM and IDEN seems to be like GSM. I will say however that sometimes calls are not connected and you will get a "We are sorry but we were unable to connect your call at this time. Please try again later." (Maybe the cell tower has quotas on how many % of calls are allowed for Boost mobile users...)
said by NY Tel:

I think the pricing is fantastic for Boost IF you are able to achieve the value you place on their service.

For me, I like to send a lot of text messages so the inability to receive them reliably is a problem.

From what I have read here, Boost is powered by Nextel and Nextel has NEVER reliably delivered text messages to their users.
Something to consider....

How's the voice quality with Boost in your estimation?

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

Text messaging on Boost or Nextel sucks. That's just the long and the short of it. I don't do much texting and I haven't had any problems lately, but I'm sure if I were cranking out a number of them I would see the problems. It is what it is.

iDEN and GSM are very similar indeed. If the system is busy you get a SYSTEM BUSY error on the screen. Sounds like a switch problem if you're getting that error read back.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

SysOp to rizwan602

to rizwan602
According to the Nextel coverage map on-line for Gilbert, AZ, you are clearly on the edge of the network and out of range for their "best" service.

Most cell towers host more than one provider, and no matter who you use, it only works if you can get a signal.

When in your car, remove the phone from your pocket, or holster to help. Try using the pull out antenna more often.
rizwan602
Gilbert, AZ

rizwan602

I am in Gilbert but the problem occurs throughout the metro Phoenix area. We have another provider here like Boost; its called Cricket and they have absolutely no problems with text messaging. I chose Boost because they have coverage throughout the US and w/o a roaming fee.

I think I am headed back to Cricket.

Beware: Boost is unreliable (at best) when it comes to text messaging. The consensus shows that Boost uses Nextel's messaging which apparently has a bad reputation for being extremely unreliable. (Who would figure that knowing Nextel is supposed to a leader in Business class wireless services).

Rizwan
said by SysOp:

According to the Nextel coverage map on-line for Gilbert, AZ, you are clearly on the edge of the network and out of range for their "best" service.

Most cell towers host more than one provider, and no matter who you use, it only works if you can get a signal.

When in your car, remove the phone from your pocket, or holster to help. Try using the pull out antenna more often.

NY Tel
Premium Member
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

So did you "port out" yet?

Shame about the text messages - it really deflates the value of the service substantially.
gimp55
join:2003-08-16
Ironton, OH

1 edit

gimp55 to rizwan602

to rizwan602
I got boost about 2 weeks ago and it has been awful. For the last four days I cant make calls unless I dial unknown times.
I tried for 20 minutes and took 102 dials before I made one call last night to support, I counted the times
It is to the point of bein rediculous.
They keep telling me they are havibg issues in my area.
First guy said 24 hours, second guy said midnight last night and today they dont know. They sent me to tech support, I held for over a hour and finaly hung up.
I think what they have done is over sold for the towers i this area. Are there any place to file a complaint with the goverment with?
thanks,
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

nope you can't complain. Its prepaid and what do you want the Gov't to do? regulate the cell services more? If you don't like the service change providers. Also each market is different. Maybe you should call Nextel direct and tell them about the problem. The service Boost uses its just re-branded nextel.

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to gimp55

Premium Member

to gimp55
said by gimp55:

I got boost about 2 weeks ago and it has been awful. For the last four days I cant make calls unless I dial unknown times.
I tried for 20 minutes and took 102 dials before I made one call last night to support, I counted the times
First guy said 24 hours, second guy said midnight last night and today they dont know. They sent me to tech support, I held for over a hour and finaly hung up.
I think what they have done is over sold for the towers i this area. Are there any place to file a complaint with the goverment with?
thanks,
No offense but your post makes no sense. It doesn't work "unless I dial at unknown times." What does that even mean, you don't know what time you're dialing at?

There's nothing to complain to anybody about other than Boost. If they can't make it work, demand a refund of your unused time. Its a monthly prepaid service, you don't like it you can go to another provider fairly easily. There's no contract, no ETF, there's really nothing for you to do other than leave if its not working out for you.
gimp55
Ironton, OH

gimp55

yea guess i shoulda said a unknown amount of times, or something like anywhere from 2 times on up to a unknown amount of times, sorry i i wasnt clear,
thanks for the help

NY Tel
Premium Member
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

said by gimp55:

yea guess i shoulda said a unknown amount of times, or something like anywhere from 2 times on up to a unknown amount of times, sorry i i wasnt clear,
thanks for the help
Is it really that bad? Has it been that bad since you got the phone or did this call blocking thing just happen?
Sounds like they are oversubscribed or Nextel is neglecting the network.
gimp55
Ironton, OH

gimp55

no it was really good the first few days. I recommended to a lot of friends. Its like a new relationship gone bad haha!!
It is mostly at peak hours, hopefuly it will be fixed soon.
tcook
join:2009-03-11
Lawrenceville, GA

tcook to rizwan602

to rizwan602
I just switched from metro pcs to boost mobile 1 week ago. It seemed like a great deal with the 50 dollar a month plan but something has to be wrong. It may be the phone but I am not sure. The phone I bought is an i335.

First of all the phone has a tendency to turn off and then on if i barely drop it on to my desk. Now I am not slamming it down or anything. I'm talking placing it down to hard. It usually only does this when the service is low. Does any body else have problems with their i335 or have any kind of explanation as to why this happens.

Second, is the service it self. The other day, I was driving home from work talking to someone and the phone dropped the call TWICE even with full service. The weird thing is that it didn't seem like a normal dropped call. It was almost like i hit a "drop service for a split second" button. Right after the dropped call, the service was full.

I'm thinking that maybe with this new unlimited plan and all, that their networks are just jammed but I really have no clue.

I really love the PTT function and I hate to switch back to metro. I'm thinking I might try to stick it out for another month and see if Boost/Nextel gets things straightened out. Any explanation or input on anything I said would be greatly appreciated. I live in Gwinnet county in Georgia
Expand your moderator at work

John63128
@charter.com

John63128 to SysOp

Anon

to SysOp

Re: [Other] Boost Mobile

SysOp, you mentioned in another post about your test messaging being sent to the SMS folder and you calling them for "resetting" their system and your phone too. I am having the same with a imported number from ATT. Test messages go into the SMS folder and are a pain to reply too. Could you elaborate on what needs to be done to fix this. Thanks for your help.
emersonsc
join:2009-01-19
Livonia, MI

emersonsc to rizwan602

to rizwan602
said by gimp55:

thanks,
said by hottboiinnc4:

nope you can't complain. Its prepaid and what do you want the Gov't to do? regulate the cell services more? If you don't like the service change providers. Also each market is different. Maybe you should call Nextel direct and tell them about the problem. The service Boost uses its just re-branded nextel.
ACTUALLY... yes you CAN complain. Go to the FCCs website and make a complaint about service. I did this when I had both Tmobile AND MetroPCS over their coverage. I had someone from each company who dealt specifically with FCC complaints call me and i ended up getting credits on my account. Tmobile even changed my equipment for me free of charge. It IS the companies responsibility to make sure their service works as advertises, especially if you are well within their advertised coverage area.

Fill out this form from the FCC

»esupport.fcc.gov/sform20 ··· ge=2000B

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

3 edits

SysOp to John63128

to John63128
Had my phone for about a month before I ported my number from ATT to Boost, just after the port, I had text message issues.

When I called customer service, my conversation was very short and to the point.

The Boost Rep knew what to do after I said, "My text messages are not working" "They are going into the SMS folder, rather than my in box folder"

The Boost Rep reset things on his end, asked me my phone model, had me navigate a few menus and clear out the cache, and reboot the phone.

Took about 5 min.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 edit

RR Conductor to rizwan602

Premium Member

to rizwan602
I wouldn't ever consider Boost or Nextel for service, for one big reason, they don't have any service up here In fact, their service here in many areas of rural NorCal, and in much of the rural west is, well, non existent.

Irun Man
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18
Millsboro, DE

Irun Man to rizwan602

Premium Member

to rizwan602
Boost Mobile handset quality has been getting cheaper still lately, but even when the phones were good the SMS was troublesome.

If you have a good signal and need primarily voice or PTT, Nextel/Boost is still hard to beat. Some areas may be oversold, and I sometimes wonder if Boost customers get blocked or disconnected when a tower gets too busy.
bronxlcsw
join:2005-09-21
Bronx, NY

bronxlcsw to rizwan602

to rizwan602
Do any of you remember when AOL was billing by the hour then introduced the all you can surf plan 19.99 per month? I think it was 1992 or 93? The AOL network was so overun by new subscribers that it was named America offline. I have on average 20 percent of my calls dropped. Sometimes there is no warning others theres a loude nosie then the call reconnects. I am living with this though because you just cant beat the price. I looked into metropcs and they make you pay taxes bringing the monthly unlimited bill to about 63 dollars per month. My main problem with text messgaes has been that it takes a long long time for them to download. Just bought the I9 so maybe it will be faster.

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

2 edits

SysOp

All cell phone service providers over-subscribe. You say 20 out of 100 calls get dropped? Does this happen when you are standing next to their cell tower with full signal?

Or does the call get dropped on the same road/area? Here in Atlanta, no matter what cell phone service I've used over the past 10 years, my calls would drop at the same place every time.

You live in Bronx, NY? Are there any large tall bulidings?

So you just bought the I9. Well, is it faster?

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

I've got an i9 on Nextel and I love it. Had great service everywhere I went in Atlanta when I was there end of March (specifically Roswell area).

For all those having text messaging issues with Boost/Nextel, all I can say is Sprint Nextel is aware of it and claims to be taking it seriously. Time will tell, but the person I have talked to is not a Level 1 Customer No-Service rep, so I do have some faith in the statements.